What have you been tying (pt. 2)

Replies

• Fly ByFly By Posts: 30 Deckhand
    It was too windy to fish and idle hands are the devil's workshop. This seemed like a good idea.

Found some new eyes so I tied a fly to put them on. Mr. Mullet
    We are no longer citizens, we have allowed ourselves to become subjects.
  • YanceyMYanceyM Posts: 113 Officer
    Are they ever going to recover the original "What have you been tying?" thread from before the crash?? It would be nice to get that one thread back. It was full of good stuff.
  • Small trout like fish....
    IMG_0106.jpg

Silly photo effects from I-photo
    IMG_0001.jpg

Plain white shrimp
    DSCF4367.jpg
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,270 Captain
    Black coffee and maribou, all night long. (cuz that's how we get down)

IMG_06612.jpg
    Nice work ODC. Especially that plain white shrimp. What the breakdown on it? Is everything white maribou?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,270 Captain
    YanceyM wrote: »
    Nice work ODC. Especially that plain white shrimp. What the breakdown on it? Is everything white maribou?

That's Cali Redneck not me.
    :willynilly
    That's Cali Redneck not me.

:facepalm
    Dang I need to lay off the bottle tonight. :Glass My bad. :willynilly Guess I'm just use to seeing your post. Either way your fly was killer. :hail

Now to pull my foot out of my mouth....
    California Redneck,
    Nice fly. :applause Really different style shrimp.
    What's the breakdown on it?
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Just for comparison I thought I'd do a side by side of two 2/0 Clousers. One is Bob Lemay's Whitewater Clouser and the other is what I'll call a SF Bay Area/Delta Clouser. The San Francisco version is designed to push water and is tied using synthetics. Bob's WWC is bucktail and tied sparse. You may notice I tie the flashtail style which I have more success with.
  • California RedneckCalifornia Redneck Posts: 71 Deckhand
    YanceyM wrote: »
    : Really different style shrimp.
    What's the breakdown on it?

Pretty simple really...

Gamy #1 Octopus or #2 B-10 Stinger

Polar Fiber Plus

Plastic bead chain eyes

Red antron dubbing for egg sac

White dubbing body

Webby strung neck hackle tied in tip first and palmed forward to eye. Keeps the stiffer tips up front and allows webby portion to bell out against tips for added bulk.

Looks both like a crab or shrimp in the water.

Thre green shrimp is tied the same way on a #2 B-10 Stinger and shown wet.
    Finnish Racoon with hollow tied and packed Congo Hair
    IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg

Tried to burn holes in the material for plastic eyes...covered up the mess with the stick on eyes and Zap Goo...Anyone have advice for platic eyes?
  • Flyguy1Flyguy1 Posts: 101 Officer
    Redneck, I'm likin those shrimp! I may tie a few up!
    Had a lazy day today, soo I decided to restock my box.
    Tied mostly seaducers with black plastic bead chain on a Gamakatsu SC15 #1.
    Picture703.jpg
    Picture704.jpg
    Picture707.jpg
    Heck, even tried Redneck's shrimp/slightly modified.
    Picture709.jpg
    Another thing I was tying today were teeny little jigs for sightfishing reds and trout on ultralight gear. I often take friends of mine fishing with me but most don't flyfish so I figured this little jig would be a perfect substitute for a shrimp/crab fly.
    1/16oz jig
    Furnace hackle tail
    Few strands of gold flash
    Palmered tan marabou
    1 Palmered furnace hackle
    Picture718.jpg
    I like'em buggy. Sweet looking shrimp, love the furnace hackle...you'll do well with that bunch.
  • kudzukudzu Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Stopped at the shop on the way home and fell in love with the Crawdad Orange Finn Raccoon. Came home and created what I dubbed the Copper Killer. :D I really need to figure out what's up with my camera. Even my macro lens is sucking. :(

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S #2 Stinger
    Tail: Crawdad Orange Finn Raccoon w/anti-foul guard; Krystal flash Copper
    Body: Estaz Grande GGF Opal Rootbeer
    Eyes: Red dumbbell
    Weed guard: #30 mono

CopperKiller-640.jpg
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
  • southernstrainsouthernstrain Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Kudzu-

Man each fly pic you post looks better and better!

The proportions look great on that fly and it looks well executed. The only advice I would have (and this is purely personal preference) is to stroke the estaz fibers backwards when you make each wrap. It won't change the fishy-ness of it just makes it look cleaner. Well done my friend, well done!
    Need to add some spice to your fly box? We can help!

http://www.facebook.com/Supaflies
    That is good advice Southern. I treat it just like palmering hackle. Kudzu you can use the short stuff in that color that some folks would discard for egg sacks on crab patterns. I'd put some of that on every Dell Brown Permit crab I tie. I'd also use it as a separator on Tarpon flies. Good Stuff!!!
    Thanks guys! I actually started off stroking them back and gave up. I think there are some things I need to just skip the rotary thing on. It seemed like too many things were cluttering my hands trying to spin and wrap. I should've left the vise alone and just palmered by hand.

mtd, I've actually just recently started saving all the underfur for dubbing bodies. Didn't think about it being a perfect egg color! That Finn really caught my eye. Nicest color I've seen so far.

I think I'm getting bad. Last night I was already laying in bed trying to come up with Cousin of Copper Killer. :grin
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
  • RyancRyanc Posts: 81 Deckhand
    Over the holidays I Visited my grandparents in Maine and I brought home my grandfathers vice and assorted fly tying materials he had from when he tied for trout in the lakes up there. So I just started tying this week. Havent had a chance to throw any of these yet, but hopefully Ill get to soon!

Like I said, Im just beginning. Some of the flies I based of videos I found online, but most of them Ive just been "wingin" lol So any comments or tips from what you see would be great! Thanks

I based these two on a shrimp pattern I found on youtube
    DSCF2778.jpg
    DSCF2770.jpg

DSCF2783.jpg
    DSCF2786.jpg
    DSCF2788.jpg
    DSCF2792.jpg
    DSCF2793.jpg

First attempts at some bendbacks
    DSCF2794.jpg
    DSCF2797.jpg

And I think I finally found a use for a DOA chug head. Everytime Ive rigged one on spinning with the soft plastics, they will work sometimes, or swim sideways, dive down, etc... not sure how it will throw but I thought Id play around with it lol
    DSCF2798.jpg
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain
    You are off to a great start.
    I'm going to guess that the flies that tend to go sideways are the ones with more material tied on. Keep them on the sparse side and I think you'll see them swim better. Ask me how I know.
    Welcome to the addiction.
  • RyancRyanc Posts: 81 Deckhand
    Thanks, I havent had any flies swim sideways, It was the soft plastics like CALs when I rigged them with chug heads.
    Not bad Ryan! Keep practicing and it will become easier.
    Heres a fly I may try out tomorrow on some mongo trout.
    Gamakatsu #2 B10s Stinger
    Slinky fiber mixed with EP sparkle.
    3D eyes
    DSC02629.jpg
    Great color combo, and profile! Pictures of resulting trout will be madatory.
    Another Trout fly
    SC15 1/0
    Slinky Fiber mixed with EP sparkle
    Peacock strands
    3D eyes
    DSC02657.jpg
    Havin trouble with my camera lately, so my pic's arn't top notch, but I hope you guys get the idea..
    RattlShrimp

There's a 4mm rattle under the Estaz.

RattlShrimp-640.jpg
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0287.jpg
  • southernstrainsouthernstrain Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Heading over to the east coast early next week to chase some reds, needed some black in the box

2012-01-11_23-00-27_167.jpg
    Need to add some spice to your fly box? We can help!

http://www.facebook.com/Supaflies
  • DPrestonDPreston Posts: 153 Officer
    Pseudo redfish slider with bunny dubbing instead of deer hair to ride a little lower in the water for spooky fish. Also should be a bit more weedless. 2/0 Mustad shrimp hook, mottled maribu/furnace hackle collar, craft fur tail. Tied on my new Nor-Vise with salt water jaws, which I am loving.
    I remember seeing Norm Norlander doing demo's on his Nor-Vice back in the 80's in California. It was pretty amazing! I had a friend that bought one and he could tie up dozens of shad flies with that thing in a few hours. Enjoy! BTW did you get the bobbin?
    I did get the bobbin. Its taking more getting used to than the vise - I like to use heavier threads and really crank down and due to its length and design it has a bit of flex to it. So I am liking it more every time I use it but the jury is still out there...definately starting to see some benefits to the auto recoil.
    #2 600SP w/ mono thread, slinky fiber, black krystal flash, and Loon UV Clear