What have you been tying (pt. 2)

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,270 Captain
    saltybum wrote: »
    AND where? !
    Wish I could of made it Harry's today but other things got in the way.
    Hopefully next month.

It was a good turnout, I'll post some pictures under the post I made about the meeting this morning.
  • kudzukudzu Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Had a blast today at Black Fly with Randy's tying class. We tied three patterns I've been wanting to work on for a while: crab, shrimp, and baitfish. I'll have to take more pics of the crab. I didn't like how they turned out. I think I'm going to have to start using my tripod.

Mr. Shrimp
    Shrimp-640.jpg

Mr. Pinfish
    Pinfish-640.jpg

Mr. Cool (I tied this one on my own tonight. OMG I am SO getting a rotary vise!! It sucked flipping the hook nonstop!)
    Baitfish-640.jpg
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
    Well, I didn't get any hiking in today so I made a spoon fly instead. Meet the Wobbler. My second use of epoxy.

Wobbler-640.jpg

Poop. Looks like I didn't cut the thread close enough. :(
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    past coupla' weeks been messin' with these rattle things. Looked around the web a bit and didn't see anything that looked like what I think I was thinking. So I started tying something to get started with. Here's a link to report after water testing the first really hiddeous version...

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?22658-Homosassa-10-29&p=269416&viewfull=1#post269416

I liked the way it cast and tracked, but wasn't sure how to hide the front of the rattle, so I started refining the tie to something a little closer to a muppet character.

DSC_75001024x768.jpg

DSC_75011024x768.jpg

DSC_75021024x768.jpg

DSC_75091024x768.jpg

that was a short, crab puff kind of thing.

This one I stretched out a bit and reminds me of a boiled peel-n-eat shrimp. :)

DSC_75151024x768.jpg

DSC_75161024x768.jpg

DSC_75181024x768.jpg

DSC_75191024x768.jpg

DSC_75201024x768.jpg

I'm using 3mm rattles on a #2 hook with 1/80oz eyes. Not quite sure I'm there yet with the pattern, but it's getting better. Hopefully the weather is a little nicer this weekend too and I'll get a chance to try out the latest incarnation...
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • Redfish ChuckRedfish Chuck Posts: 107 Officer
    2011-11-15_14-50-11_875.jpg

2011-11-08_22-43-21_205.jpg

2011-11-11_22-32-38_532.jpg

2011-11-07_23-03-13_725.jpg

2011-10-07_19-48-40_133.jpg
    Tis the season to murder cobia. : ) Neck hackles, finn raccoon, and schlappen on a 5/0 aki.

IMG_05311.jpg
  • MistermtdMistermtd Steinhatchee Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    What!!! No treble? :rotflmao
    Mistermtd wrote: »
    What!!! No treble? :rotflmao

There might be one buried in there somewhere. I finished tying that thing and couldn't find one of my socks afterwards, it's probably in there too.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,001 Captain
    That's a great big fly.... kind of a 'downwind special'.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Here are a couple from this week.

Puglisi-Baitfish.jpg

IMAG0642.jpg
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    That's a great big fly.... kind of a 'downwind special'.

More of a "drop it off the transom and watch the silly brown fish eat it" special.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain
    Big as that is you could probably fling it on 15lb spin...or just drop it off transom. Funny how them brown things seem to just pop up there sometimes. Even then I can reach them with a fly. :rotflmao
  • kid quickkid quick Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Full dress Gurgler! Lots of ploopin and poppin!
    That would also be a great shark fly as well as a cobia fly. I know they much prefer flies that are the same color as life preservers but I've had a lot of bites on red and white flies over the years. In the right circumstances along the Gulf coast of the 'Glades big lemons and bulls will come after a fly without any chum in the water at all...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 491 Deckhand
    The eyes are pretty cool, but how are they formed? Looks like dumbell eyes under the foam?!
    kid quick wrote: »
    Full dress Gurgler! Lots of ploopin and poppin!

Welcome to the forum Quick, I'm definately digging the gurgler.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    You might try inserting the rattle into an ez body or mylar tubing then affixing it to the mono loop. This will give a darting side to side action on the fly. Just a thought.
  • kid quickkid quick Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    mbowers wrote: »
    The eyes are pretty cool, but how are they formed? Looks like dumbell eyes under the foam?!
    1/4 inch Cylinder Foam(tied on like dumbells) with stick on eyes glued in, adds floatation to a heavier hook for bigger snook and such, works ridiculously well on medium tarpon. Pop the snot out of it, let it sit and the bou just breathes...... I use the Foam dumbells to add a little neutral bouyancy to lots of patterns, sea-ducers, ep minnows , etc.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 491 Deckhand
    kid quick wrote: »
    1/4 inch Cylinder Foam(tied on like dumbells) with stick on eyes glued in, adds floatation to a heavier hook for bigger snook and such, works ridiculously well on medium tarpon. Pop the snot out of it, let it sit and the bou just breathes...... I use the Foam dumbells to add a little neutral bouyancy to lots of patterns, sea-ducers, ep minnows , etc.

I can see it now: the little bit of glare, a single photo and the fact you used white for everything :) was making me think the foam strip had been pulled over the eyes and tied down to some tapered dumbell eyes underneath. Have you tried doll eyes instead of stick-ons? You should get even more flotation and some rattle as a bonus.
  • DPrestonDPreston Posts: 153 Officer
    Picked up some Slinky Fibre for the first time and tied up some baitfish this afternoon. Sorry for the bad pic, the coin is a nickel. The smallest are tied on #6 hooks for spooky clear water fish in the glades. Really like the SF alot, you can tie it lot more sparse than EP and it's softer so should have better action. My EP is probably going to only be used for toads and merkins from now on.
    Slinky, SF and mirror image are great materials. You can create your own blends with slinky/mirror image and angel hair/EP sparkle/lite brite. It's more cost effective and gives you a little more flexablility. I have a couple SBS's for some larger baitfish profiles using slinky & mirror image that were posted over the last few months.
  • Flyguy1Flyguy1 Posts: 101 Officer
    A slightly modified version of the pattern in the SBS posted by ODC.
    Mono thread in .006
    Gami B10s Stinger #2
    EP sparkle
    Marabou and some stick on's.
    DSC02499.jpg
    I like the fact that these can be tied in almost any size + plus they're just fun as heck to tie..
    They are super fun, and lately they've been the only thing I've been able to get our slob trout to eat. I dig the contrasting colors.
  • Flyguy1Flyguy1 Posts: 101 Officer
    Thanks for the compliment. Those big guys have proved to be elusive to me over the years.. Mabey I'll get out there later this week
  • Large gold bead chain covered by fibers at rear of fly

DSCF4312.jpg
    #1/0 Gartside beastmaster general (really stupid name for a pretty cool pattern)

IMG_05531.jpg
  • DoubleHaulDoubleHaul Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    A keel weighted sea habit. It has a tungsten scud weight at the back of the shank. This style has a great action.
    Big ball of bou'.

IMG_05551.jpg
    I've been working up a few Seaducers for the shop this week, nothing new but they're a pretty good all around bug. I should be delivering twelve dozen today in three colors (red/white, fl.green/white, red/yellow) and two sizes, #4 and #2.... Here's pic of a few of them, you'll note that all have wire weedguards...
    [img][/img][img][/img]99c54935.jpg

I'm fond of this pattern for very shallow water or anywhere you want a bug that suspends and can get through any floating grass or come out of mangrove snags ready to be eaten....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Some nice looking flies guys! I hope to tie some this weekend.

Sent from my Thunderbolt.
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116