What have you been tying (pt. 2)

1303132333436»

Replies

• SkiffmanBPKSkiffmanBPK Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Big snook fly. Marabou tail with body/collar made of palmered rabbit strip. Head with 3D eyes and uv epoxy.

Large crab imitation for tarpon and big permit floating In the channels.0b0c6114bd2a939a3e07f069d61859c2.jpg0b1d67e88e0c95d4fde77293f9e32d64.jpgf3ee435436f6309fa27308a8ea53e761.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,261 Captain

Trying new popper heads.

• TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    One of my favorite Snook flies .
  • mnigromnigro Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    Tgrass said:
    SF fiber?
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 735 Officer
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    mnigro said:
    Tgrass said:
    SF fiber?
    Yes, Hot Orange and Optic White, there is some flash tucked in between the two colors.
  • mnigromnigro Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    Tgrass said:
    mnigro said:
    Tgrass said:
    SF fiber?
    Yes, Hot Orange and Optic White, there is some flash tucked in between the two colors.
    Thanks 
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,813 Admin
    That would be awesome on the flats in the Bahamas!
    Mark Wilson
    AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg
    That would be awesome on the flats in the Bahamas!
    Bonnet-buster. I could tie some bone-sized, but they'd probably choke on that one. #2, roughly the size of a quarter.

#8 bonefish bitters ready for Turneffe Flats, Belize in August

#8 bonefish bitters ready for Turneffe Flats, Belize in August
      It's been so long since I've seen those tied properly that I didn't recognize the pattern, lol. Nice work!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,941 Captain
    Very nice work on that old pattern... Along with them you might want to cobble up a few more - without eyes or head ("blind bitters"), so that they land quietly as possible for really shallow, spooky fish that shy away from regular bitters.  Bitters work some days - then not on others,  strictly depending on the fish and how nervous they are that day...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Very nice work on that old pattern... Along with them you might want to cobble up a few more - without eyes or head ("blind bitters"), so that they land quietly as possible for really shallow, spooky fish that shy away from regular bitters.  Bitters work some days - then not on others,  strictly depending on the fish and how nervous they are that day...
    Bob I tied some with bead chain and I made another batch with plastic eyes like you'd use on a tarpon toad. Even tied a couple bigger #4s incase the permit like them too. 

ODC idk if I tied the properly yet. I guess I will find out come August when the bones either eat them up or give me the cold shoulder

Tis the season. A single high tie and a dubbing loop. 5 minute fly.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,941 Captain
    That's a great white bait pattern - any fish that eats pilchards, herring, or sardines should take that bug the moment it comes near...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    That's a great white bait pattern - any fish that eats pilchards, herring, or sardines should take that bug the moment it comes near...
        Thanks Bob. I've been using that, or a variation of it most of the season (which has been pretty incredible). It's durable, effective, and I can launch it with a 9wt. 

Same pattern, different profile.

• JWTJWT Posts: 396 Deckhand
    curious what you use to secure the eyes on that pattern? mine end up blind pretty quick...

Depends on the eyes. I use an impact resistant goop style adhesive if I'm using acrylic eyes like the one in the bottom photo. If I'm using laminate eyes that have an adhesive on the back, I'll use a q-tip with denatured alcohol to remove it before gluing them in place. The problem isn't your glue (probably), it's the adhesive they use on the backs of the eyes. That being said, I never use CA adhesives. They can't take a hit.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 639 Officer
    I had the same problem with eyes falling off, then started using E6000 glue. Water proof, clear, and tough. Have had Tarpon destroy the fly, but the eyes stay on. Get at Walmart. 
  • JWTJWT Posts: 396 Deckhand
    thanks - going to give it a try!

SUPER D said:
    I had the same problem with eyes falling off, then started using E6000 glue. Water proof, clear, and tough. Have had Tarpon destroy the fly, but the eyes stay on. Get at Walmart. 
    I use Loctite gel from Walmart. It has held up the best for me. As a bonus I can also use it to glue down coral frags in my aquarium. Only wish it came in a bigger bottle.