What have you been tying (pt. 2)

Replies

• deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    cool looking stuff there mitch
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,270 Captain
    deerfly wrote: »
    diggin' the ducer's. :thumbsup

I know I've been party to the "if you could only have one fly" discussion plenty of times and for some reason usually side with the clouser. The more I think about it though, I've probably used seaducer type patterns 10/1 over clouser's for as long as I can remember. Probably not quite as lopsided with deceiver/streamer patterns, but still a lot more than clouser's too. Sometimes I can't help but wonder where these biases come from. :rolleyes Topic for it's own thread I suppose...

I fish alot of seaducers, (all sizes, all colors), but I'll never be one of those one fly guys.

-The griz is the ****.
    IMG_03171.jpg

IMG_03181.jpg

IMG_03191-1.jpg
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,833 Admin
    Great looking fly's. We will stick this thread per request.
    Mark Wilson
    AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg
    More shizz.

IMG_03201-1.jpg

IMG_03211-1.jpg
    -The griz is the ****.

lol, my bad. Right or wrong I have a somewhat loose interpretation of fly patterns. To me the vast majority of saltwater patterns are either explicitly tied as close to the original or some variation of a seaducer, deceiver/streamer or a clouser. The shrimp and crab imitations are another category of their own as are the all synthetic bait fish, although I consider those to be in the deceiver/streamer class too.

Anyway, to my eyes those griz flies, which like all your flies are tied beautifully, fall squarely in the same box as a seaducer. A body of palmored hackle, maribou or even lightly spun deer hair more or less amount to the same 3D effect to me. The flash adds a really nice dimension too. Being sparse I bet they are a pleasure to cast and also give you more control over sink rate by varying hook size/guage verses a more dense body. Whether I know what to call them or not, I'm going to try to make some myself though. :)
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
    deerfly wrote: »
    lol, my bad. Right or wrong I have a somewhat loose interpretation of fly patterns. To me the vast majority of saltwater patterns are either explicitly tied as close to the original or some variation of a seaducer, deceiver/streamer or a clouser. The shrimp and crab imitations are another category of their own as are the all synthetic bait fish, although I consider those to be in the deceiver/streamer class too.

Anyway, to my eyes those griz flies, which like all your flies are tied beautifully, fall squarely in the same box as a seaducer. A body of palmored hackle, maribou or even lightly spun deer hair more or less amount to the same 3D effect to me. The flash adds a really nice dimension too. Being sparse I bet they are a pleasure to cast and also give you more control over sink rate by varying hook size/guage verses a more dense body. Whether I know what to call them or not, I'm going to try to make some myself though. :)

It's 110% seaducer, just tied with whiting american grizzly hackle.
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Officer
    I've been tying some new crab flies and restocking up on the clousers. The juvi snoook were luvin the pink and white tonight. Couldn't find momma snook.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=5268&d=1315708328
  • wmitchwmitch Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Beautiful heads ODC.
    wmitch wrote: »
    Beautiful heads ODC.

I'm so used to using med/heavy mono that 190 denier feels really light. It makes pretty heads much easier.
  • red118red118 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    fly.jpg 84.2K
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain
    The fly on the bottom right aaccounted for the redfish and a few trout. It's right at 3.5" long and caught the 6 inch gator posted earlier. It also caught an 18" trout that had an 8.75" mullet in it's belly. Hmmm, maybe I'll start throwing the bigger ones more.
    They were originally tied for surf snook.
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Not a saltwater fly by any means, but i'm heading up to Michigan this weekend with my son. It's his birthday, and he wants to learn spey casting, so we're headed up for the Spey Fest there. The steelhead won't really be up yet, but i wouldn't miss the chance to go fishing with him for anything. Anyway, here's a sample of what i've tied up to take there.
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Okay, so that last picture is of my son, tying his first fly ever. Somehow I posted it before i finished. Here's the final product. First one ever, tied completely on his own.

Again, i realize this isn't saltwater stuff, but just thought i'd put it up anyway.

kevin
    JFF.jpg 98.2K
  • kudzukudzu Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Here are some that I've tied. Sorry for some of the crappy cell phone pics. I misplaced my camera and found it after some of these were taken.

Black Ant
    IMAG0243-640.jpg

Mini Hopper (excellent for bluegill!)
    IMAG0398-640.jpg
    IMAG0394-640.jpg

Clouser
    Clouser-RedWhite-640.jpg

Popper
    Popper-640.jpg

Seaducer
    Seaducer-640.jpg

Whistler 1
    Whistler1-640.jpg

Whistler 2
    Whistler2-640.jpg

Wooly Worm
    wooly-worm-640.jpg
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
  • wmitchwmitch Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    saltybum wrote: »

The fly on the bottom right aaccounted for the redfish and a few trout. It's right at 3.5" long and caught the 6 inch gator posted earlier. It also caught an 18" trout that had an 8.75" mullet in it's belly. Hmmm, maybe I'll start throwing the bigger ones more.
    They were originally tied for surf snook.

Recipe? Beautiful flies man.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain
    Thanks
    Those are baitfish imitations ODC taught us to tie down at Harry Goodes last year. He'll be focussing on that style this coming saturday again. I used mostly Farrars flash blend except for the top left one which has a marabou tail. It really undulates nicely in the water.
    Unfortunately I wont be making it to Harry's sat. or I would take a bunch of sequence shots to post. Not hard, just time consuming. For me any way.
    ODC had posted all that previously before the Forum crash.
    I'm cranking these out for a freind, they're going to a very good cause.

IMG_03341.jpg
    Okay, so that last picture is of my son, tying his first fly ever. Somehow I posted it before i finished. Here's the final product. First one ever, tied completely on his own.

Again, i realize this isn't saltwater stuff, but just thought i'd put it up anyway.

kevin

very cool stuff Kevin, priceless time for sure.
    I'm starting to chip away at a collection for LA marsh this Nov.

DSC_73201024x768.jpg

The guys I'm going with say be prepared for deep dirty water, so I'll be focused on darkish weighted flies initially. Anyone with some patterns or tips you've had success with in that region post em up...
  • BBearBBear Posts: 33 Deckhand
    blitzbait.jpg

Been using this fly alot lately. Snook, trout, albies and spanish. They all seem to love it. This is tied on a 1/0 Aki b/c we were having trouble with the albies bending the smaller #1 hooks we were using and there have been kings and tarpon mixed in with the schools of bait.
    Very nice Mr. Bear. You won't have issues with the Aki.
    I really hope I don't take this one to the back of the head. Mullet slider, grizzly dyed blue dun hackles, finn raccoon, and deer hair on a 4/0 600SP.

IMG_03851-1.jpg
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 642 Officer
    I really hope I don't take this one to the back of the head. Mullet slider, grizzly dyed blue dun hackles, finn raccoon, and deer hair on a 4/0 600SP.

IMG_03851-1.jpg

What rod are you going to throw that thing with? Good looking fly by the way.
  • BBearBBear Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Sexy fly. Looks real good.
    Very nice ODC! Next week I hope to start working with deer hair. So far I've just been using bucktail.
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
    SUPER D wrote: »
    What rod are you going to throw that thing with? Good looking fly by the way.

10wt. And thanks.

kudzu wrote: »
    Very nice ODC! Next week I hope to start working with deer hair. So far I've just been using bucktail.

The biggest obstacle for me was just figuring out how to handle it, and learning how to pick extra select patches. Your flies will only turn out as well as the materials you have to work with. Alot of times deer hair gets burned chemically in the dying process, this makes it brittle, and difficult to work with. Get healthy deer hair, and use about 4 times more than what your instincts tell you to. The big select patches from wapsi are usually pretty good quality.
    Thanks for the info!
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
  • DowntownNashDowntownNash Posts: 182 Officer

IMG_03851-1.jpg

How does the wire size on that 4/0 Tiemco 600SP compare to similar hooks? Never got the chance to play around with their 4/0 or 6/0.

I've always had problems with spun deerhair heads and Tarpon/Snook. I could never find a hook that gave me enough gap, but let me trim the heads the way I
    wanted.
    BBear wrote: »
    Sexy fly. Looks real good.

Stamping out pretty flies is a Do-or-Die kind of a thing when you got almost $2 invested in the hook alone.
    signature.png
    Christian, the 600SP is beefy as hell but the point has a very long bevel which gives it the penetration you need for tarpon. I love the hook, but it is high carbon steel and it will shatter if it hits jetty rocks/gunnels/etc. I don't use stainless hooks for big game. The gami SL12 might be a more cost effective option for you. I've never broken/bent one.
    Tying pretty flies isn't that difficult when you don't have distractions like a carreer or family. If I'm not fishing, I'm usually good for a couple hours a night at the vise.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Tying pretty flies isn't that difficult when you don't have distractions like a career or family.

That explains a lot...LOL

Do you switch thread when you get to the deer hair part of the fly?