IMG_02781-1.jpg
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,263 Captain
    And another one.

IMG_02991-1.jpg
  • terrballterrball Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    floodcrab.jpg
    FLOOD TIDE CRAB
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Terrball, no offense, but that fly could also pass as a salt water sculpin. I would have no objection to throwing that fly to a Key West mutton snapper on the flats. Nice looking fly.
    .......Rick
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    Terrball, no offense, but that fly could also pass as a salt water sculpin. I would have no objection to throwing that fly to a Key West mutton snapper on the flats. Nice looking fly.
    I live in Fl. Westcoast. Im disabled at this time. How do I go about tying? I never Tossed a fly. I know fish. I have time on my hands while I recover. Any Info/help would be preciated. Thanks. By the way, Kick **** looking ties. I have alot my grandfather tied. I never lerned The art. His are at least 40yrs old. Never used. Any one care?
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
    Popeye wrote: »
    I live in Fl. Westcoast. Im disabled at this time. How do I go about tying? I never Tossed a fly. I know fish. I have time on my hands while I recover. Any Info/help would be preciated. Thanks. By the way, Kick **** looking ties. I have alot my grandfather tied. I never lerned The art. His are at least 40yrs old. Never used. Any one care?

If you're serious about learning the best thing for you to do is just take some initiative and jump in with both feet. The web is a great resource for techniques and patterns, and you'll only need a few basic tools to start. If you can, join a local fly fishing club. Members will usually go out of their way to make sure you have some guidance in getting started.
    @permit

yeah, I'm sure it looks like a hybrid of everything we use in Jax...some merkin, some sculpin......trying to look like a fiddler for when our grass floods a few times out of the year. this lil beauty looks awesome wet and the water is gin clear on the floods, so I can't wait! the feathers are froma buddy's recent hunting trip. don't know what the bird is, but the feather colors are perfect! CHEERS!
  • Flyguy1Flyguy1 Posts: 101 Officer
    Here are a few I threw together just for fun... A few different styles and a few different colors, all on 2/0 Gamakatsu SL12S.
    IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
  • 4seall4seall Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Some great talent here on this board!
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 155 Deckhand
    ODC, Are the chartruse and white stacks SF blend or another SF fiber? When I use SF blend it looks more like your middle layer (more "crinckly" for lack of a better word). I like what your top and bottom stacks look like more than the results I'm getting.
    Thanks in advance,
    Troutbum
  • Flyguy1Flyguy1 Posts: 101 Officer
    I just use slinky fiber mixed with EP sparkle instead of using the SF blend..
  • fishheadmarkfishheadmark Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks for starting us up again!
  • GlobalMapperGlobalMapper Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Very cool looking fly Terrball. Have you figured out what the feathers are yet?
    If you're serious about learning the best thing for you to do is just take some initiative and jump in with both feet. The web is a great resource for techniques and patterns, and you'll only need a few basic tools to start. If you can, join a local fly fishing club. Members will usually go out of their way to make sure you have some guidance in getting started.
    Thanks, I'll use your advice. This seems to be a Great art to be into. It is an art.:thumbsup

Mark Twain
    This seems to be a Great art to be into. It is an art.:thumbsup

For me it's just throwing fur and feathers on a hook. I enjoy tying as much as the next guy, but all the BS and pretensions some guys like to associate with it makes me want to throw up. Just put a little thought into what you want to create, think about what materials would be appropriate, then sit down and make it happen.
    For me it's just throwing fur and feathers on a hook. I enjoy tying as much as the next guy, but all the BS and pretensions some guys like to associate with it makes me want to throw up. Just put a little thought into what you want to create, think about what materials would be appropriate, then sit down and make it happen.
    Thanks. You dont need a new anything to win anything. It all counts on how its used. And then some .

Mark Twain
    Very cool looking fly Terrball. Have you figured out what the feathers are yet?

My pal is a FWC officer that I don't see a lot of this time of year, so I forget to ring him...I'll ask him tomorrow
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain
    A few baitfish flies I hope to interest some snook with.
    http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/saltybum/baitfishflies.jpg

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but click the above to see them.:huh
    Hulk mullet.

IMG_03081.jpg
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    Hulk mullet.

IMG_03081.jpg

'Incredible' Hulk mullet? Reminds me of a childhood fishing buddy who was also obsessed with working out, but never quite reached buff physique. About that time Lou's TV show came out too, so we anointed my buddy Craig the incredible bulk. :grin Some 40 years later anytime I see a reference to that character it makes me laugh and also reminds me of many great times fishing as a kid...

Anyway, ODC you really have the synthetic bait fish tweaked to perfection. To me it's also one of those patterns where the eyes are not optional, although the fish probably wouldn't care so much if you left them off. Really nice 3D profile and proportion. I definitely need to lay off the natural materials for a spell and work on some of these. Nicely done. :thumbsup
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
    deerfly wrote: »
    I definitely need to lay off the natural materials for a spell and work on some of these. Nicely done. :thumbsup

I was thinking the same thing about synthetics.I figure it can't be all that healthy to be hung up on either one, and I've been using alot of synthetics lately. I have my stash for the bait run, now it's time to screw around with some silly stuff. Thanks for the compliment btw, but I figure if they were perfect than people would stop telling me how to tie my flies.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain
    My what big eyes you have. Do find bigger eyes to be more effective for snook flies?

Talked to a guy yesterday moring at PAFB visiting from NC. Said the surf up their was lousy with mullet right now.
    I did see a few small schools of fingerlings heading south but they were very sparse. It wont be long.
    saltybum wrote: »
    My what big eyes you have. Do find bigger eyes to be more effective for snook flies?

Talked to a guy yesterday moring at PAFB visiting from NC. Said the surf up their was lousy with mullet right now.
    I did see a few small schools of fingerlings heading south but they were very sparse. It wont be long.

Beyond the size and shape of the profile, very little actually matters IMO. I use large eyes simply because I want to. They always get knocked off after a few fish and they keep on catching.

We have a good 5-6 weeks before things get real.
    You guys are slipping. I had to dig this up from 2 pages back. Here's some throwbacks I tied up today.

IMG_03141.jpg
    IMG_03161.jpg
    Those are real nice. Ya got a gift.

Mark Twain
    Ya got a gift.

I know, but it's nothing a healthy dose of anti-psychotics can't manage.
  • wmitchwmitch Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    beautiful patterns guys
    IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1625-1.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

sorry for the bad image quality guys
    photocopy.jpg

photo.jpg

photocopy2.jpg
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    You guys are slipping. I had to dig this up from 2 pages back. Here's some throwbacks I tied up today.

IMG_03141.jpg
    IMG_03161.jpg

diggin' the ducer's. :thumbsup

I know I've been party to the "if you could only have one fly" discussion plenty of times and for some reason usually side with the clouser. The more I think about it though, I've probably used seaducer type patterns 10/1 over clouser's for as long as I can remember. Probably not quite as lopsided with deceiver/streamer patterns, but still a lot more than clouser's too. Sometimes I can't help but wonder where these biases come from. :rolleyes Topic for it's own thread I suppose...

Anyway, the irony in that comment is the last thing I've been toying with are weighted clow-ducers I guess I'll call them. :) Weighted seaducer sort of things. The idea is to use layers of different colored feathers in an attempt to get hues in the water that I can't get with primary or dominant colored feather patterns.

Here's a tutti-fruity thingy that the trout have been killing near me, missed one red so far too. Not sure what it imitates or could possibly resemble, but it looks really good in some of the off-color water I fish. Probably just an attractor sort of thing going on, but it's more fun to think there's more to it. ;)

DSC_66941024x768.jpg

This one is more shrimpish or estuary blended and starts with splayed white hackle, covered next with yellow and ends with natural barred. The palmored collar is made up from those same 3 colors tied in together and wrapped at the same time. The lighting in the photo's make it look a tad more pink than it really is, but I'm too lazy to re-shoot it.

DSC_71131024x768.jpg

DSC_71151024x768.jpg

This one is more of the primary color thing that catches fish too, but doesn't look like anything the fish have ever seen.

DSC_66971024x768.jpg
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra