LBD... 2.1 (not this little guy's day)

No trophy, but it was a fun hunt... most of it anyway.

As some of you may know, this year has been a real struggle for me. Multiple misses with the rifle (including a giant in GA) and an utter lack of deer activity on the lease.

Woke up at 4 am this morning and it was pouring down rain. Really wanted to roll back over, but I showered up and figured I'd sit in truck until it eased a little bit. With a little light in the sky the rain eased, so I a silently made my way over wet leaves to a lane that essentially parallels my food plot; the two actually almost come togther where I was sitting and then diverge at about a 30' angle.

So, I brush myself in with some palmettos that I'd brought from the house, got my bipod set up, face mask on, rifle resting in yoke with butt in my crotch and it was go time. Rain eased up and about an hour later I thought about hunting the actual plot. Figured if I had the sudden urge to move, so might they! Decided to stay put. Low and behold, here comes a deer! Mind you this is deer number FIVE that I've seen from the stand at my lease, so I was a bit surprised and excited. I watch him walk towards me up to about 70 yards. In scope whole time and it's clear that he's not a shooter. He then gets broadside and rubs on a tree for a solid minute. Cna't see head, but his vitals are begging to be shot. I excercised self control and let him go.

My little spot on the road
IMG_20140208_061657_zps5b8f7f50.jpg

Looking down into my little nook later this morning.... Simple stuff, but effective.
IMG_20140208_085837_zps32cdf65b.jpg?t=1391903942

About 20 minutes later another deer walks out at about 150 yards and is on more a mission. Came out of same side the "other deer" went in. He was crossing the road at about a 45 and I barely had time to get him in scope. Given the angle he was headed an the narrowness of the lane it was then or never. I let her rip!

He kicked and headed into the woods. I felt good about it. Hopped off my dove stool and got down to where I thought he went in. No blood or dug in tracks. Head down a well used trail and about 15 yards in I found him.

No trophy, but I'm happy. Hit right were I was aiming. Maybe a touch low, but I put it just ahead of guts and came out his opposing shoulder. It's been a while since I piled one up by hitting where I was aiming. I really think I do better when there's less time to think about it, but who knows.

Anyway, I was not able to hang around and catch **** from the lease members about the "little" deer that I shot. It was an honest mistake and I had very little time to judge him. He had two times busted off... clearly somebody been whoopin' up on him. Poor little guy had a bad year. Probably 135 lb deer. 12" inside.

IMG_20140208_093231_zps26134997.jpg

IMG_20140208_093108_zpsb065187b.jpg?t=1391898566

Rest of story: Call my wife to tell her. She says, "Great. YOu going to hunt this PM or come home?" Told her I'd like to get this guy in cooler and hunt again. She reluctantly agrees.

10 minutes later she calls me...."I"m very upset" and it was obvious that she was on the verge of tears. Well, she had gone downstairs to get some ground vension out of freezer for some stuffed bell peppers and guess what... CLEANED OUT!

This past Wednesday our dug went bat crap crazy around 2:00 am. We woke up, hit the lights under the house and thougth all was good. I figured ****, stray dog, possum, etc. Wife says, "I just saw two guys head off on bikes with backpacks."

Guess I should have called the cops.

I'm not sure if they got it all that night, or if they'd been chipping away at it. I suspect they'd been chipping away. We have not pulled anything out of the freezer in probably 10 days. They made out with....

- Majority of three deer from Alabama... a buddy shot one and gave it to me, I shot one, and a forum member shot one for me and I picked it up headed S after my hunt N of him. All ground meant except BS and Tenderloin... which they took.

- Some of a doe I shote here during archery

- Roasts off of 3 or 4 hams from last year

- Two turkeys (store bought)

- Probably 1.5 gallons of chili in individual bags ready for consumption

- Sausage

They left turkey bacon and some rigged ballyhoo.

Pretty ridiculous. Of course she was shaken up. SHe saw the guys and it was only about 5 years ago that she walked in on a guy who made off with $35,000 worth of jewelry that spanned three generations.

All I can hope is that the thugs at least eat the meat. The fact that they had backpacks makes me think they'd already checked the freezer. Nobody brings a backpack to steal lawnmowers. Had they already been there they would have seen "Doe / Large / Date" or something similar on each bag. So.... they should have known they were stealing a ton of deer meat.

Sucks.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Good job on that one and sorry to hear about the loss. Move Game cams closer to home and catch the culprits. Scum bags
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,845 Captain
    I hate a thief!! Congratulations on the kill:thumbsup
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,190 Officer
    Nice deer........I'd take him any day. Although I'd love to kill big deer, I'm not really what you'd call a trophy hunter. So, I'd be real happy with him; especially considering the year you apparently had. Nice hunting report as well.....as usual.

That just sucks about being robbed. What kind of freaking low life scumbag steals food out of someone's freezer??? What would bother me the most is them bringing backpacks. Makes me think that they had cased it out prior & came back.....knew exactly what they wanted. That's the scary part........if they did that, what else might they have cased out to come back for? And, that's just a horrible feeling that someone went through your stuff and took things from you that you worked hard to get.

I know how that feels. Several years ago someone broke into my shed and stole every bit of fishing equipment I had (bass fishing)......rods, reels, tackle boxes......everything that I had accumulated for 25 years since high school (thousands of dollars worth). It has taken me years to replace all of it (and a lot of money). The worst part of it was the timing of it. I had saved my whole life and had just bought my first bass boat about six years ago. I was so excited to finally have a nice boat. I went to get all of my fishing gear out of my old little beater of a fishing boat when I discovered it all gone. Here I was with my first nice bass boat, all excited and ready to go............but, now nothing to use; not even a pushbutton Zebco 33. Its just a sickening feeling.

People like that just suck! No respect for others or other's stuff. This kind of stuff speaks volumes about what's wrong with society in this country right now.

Livin' the Dream !
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,038 Moderator
    Redhunter wrote: »
    Good job on that one and sorry to hear about the loss. Move Game cams closer to home and catch the culprits. Scum bags

Yeah. They say Man is the ultimate big game hunt. I'm planing on picking up one of the no flash cams and will be rebaiting soon. Stay tuned...
    LilOrange wrote: »
    Nice deer........I'd take him any day. Although I'd love to kill big deer, I'm not really what you'd call a trophy hunter. So, I'd be real happy with him; especially considering the year you apparently had. Nice hunting report as well.....as usual.

That just sucks about being robbed. What kind of freaking low life scumbag steals food out of someone's freezer??? What would bother me the most is them bringing backpacks. Makes me think that they had cased it out prior & came back.....knew exactly what they wanted. That's the scary part........if they did that, what else might they have cased out to come back for? And, that's just a horrible feeling that someone went through your stuff and took things from you that you worked hard to get.

I know how that feels. Several years ago someone broke into my shed and stole every bit of fishing equipment I had (bass fishing)......rods, reels, tackle boxes......everything that I had accumulated for 25 years since high school (thousands of dollars worth). It has taken me years to replace all of it (and a lot of money). The worst part of it was the timing of it. I had saved my whole life and had just bought my first bass boat about six years ago. I was so excited to finally have a nice boat. I went to get all of my fishing gear out of my old little beater of a fishing boat when I discovered it all gone. Here I was with my first nice bass boat, all excited and ready to go............but, now nothing to use; not even a pushbutton Zebco 33. Its just a sickening feeling.

People like that just suck! No respect for others or other's stuff. This kind of stuff speaks volumes about what's wrong with society in this country right now.

That sucks. Same thing happened to my grandfather down in Orlando in the early 90s. He'd just bought a brand new 19 Hewes bayboat and had everything ready for his annual Chockoluskee (sp?) trip when somebody broke into garage, and then into his locked closet. Took 30 or 40 years worth of gear.

As far as the peole taking our stuff with backpacks... exactly. Means they knew what they were coming for. It also means that they must have made multiple trips over the past 10 days (the last time we pulled meat out of there and put in upstairs little freezer) because there's no way two guys could have toted it all off. The only consulation is that each bag was labed. SO... I at least hope they ate it. Worst case scenario was they got it all back to the projects, realized it wasn't beef and tossed it.

I just wish they'd left a note in my mail box. "This is Tyrone Jones. I am 15 and live at 1000 X Street, Apt 101. My mother and my 8 brothers and sisters are very hungry. I see that you have a very nice house. If you ever have any spare food we would very much appreicate some help." I'd have GIVEN him half of what's down there and would have helped out going foreward where possible.
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,190 Officer
    I just wish they'd left a note in my mail box. "This is Tyrone Jones. I am 15 and live at 1000 X Street, Apt 101. My mother and my 8 brothers and sisters are very hungry. I see that you have a very nice house. If you ever have any spare food we would very much appreicate some help." I'd have GIVEN him half of what's down there and would have helped out going foreward where possible.

Exactly! If you're down on you luck, hungry & need food for you and your family.........just ask. I don't mind helping out anyone who needs help. But two things: 1) just ask......just don't take & 2) you must be willing to help yourself first. What's the saying: " But for the grace of God, go I" (or something to that affect). So, I get it and can have sympathy for anyone and am willing to help when I can. Still no excuse for stealing what's not yours (that someone else worked hard for).

Hopefully, karma will return the favor to them in some way.

Livin' the Dream !
  • goosehead76goosehead76 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Nice shooting killer! Sucks they cleaned you out. Is your wife handy with a gun? Might want her to get comfortable with one just in case the thieves get braver!
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Yeah. They say Man is the ultimate big game hunt. I'm planing on picking up one of the no flash cams and will be rebaiting soon. Stay tuned...

First of all, congrats on closing out the season with meat on the ground. All things considered it sounds like you had a good year, at least I would be pleased. You killed two, a buck and doe, and also had a shot at a giant? I would be grinning from ear to ear.

Secondly, don't get a trail cam. Get a dlink wifi camera. You can get them for $80 and up. I have two in my house. One over my sons crib and play room. They are real time and they will send you notifications of movement and noise. They will sync up via wifi and they have good night vision.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Nice shooting killer! Sucks they cleaned you out. Is your wife handy with a gun? Might want her to get comfortable with one just in case the thieves get braver!

She's scary good / quick on a long gun, and is comfortable with the various handguns. Her biggest problem is how hard she sleeps. The guy could just about be in the bedroom before she wakes up.

I started some boat projects today. Spent yesterday PM cleaning out the garbage under the house that lured the thugs in... my fault. This week after work I'm going to set up some motion detecting light and buy a new trail cam to put on top of a piling under house that scans most of the area.
    Red Fish wrote: »
    First of all, congrats on closing out the season with meat on the ground. All things considered it sounds like you had a good year, at least I would be pleased. You killed two, a buck and doe, and also had a shot at a giant? I would be grinning from ear to ear.

Secondly, don't get a trail cam. Get a dlink wifi camera. You can get them for $80 and up. I have two in my house. One over my sons crib and play room. They are real time and they will send you notifications of movement and noise. They will sync up via wifi and they have good night vision.

Interesting on the wifi stuff. My buddy recommeded that. What I didin't want to do was scroll through hundreds of hours of footage periodically to see if anything was gonig on. My thought with the trail cam was it would only catch something actually happening.

Does the wifi deal capture and save movement imagines so that you can view them at your leisure?
    You over in the cove?
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Interesting on the wifi stuff. My buddy recommeded that. What I didin't want to do was scroll through hundreds of hours of footage periodically to see if anything was gonig on. My thought with the trail cam was it would only catch something actually happening.

Does the wifi deal capture and save movement imagines so that you can view them at your leisure?

They have different ones that will essentially dvr it. I have mine synced to my iPad but most importantly, my phone. As soon as there is movement or noise, I get a notification. My father in law came over while I was at work and my wife didn't tell me. I got an alert there was movement in the living room and I immediately called my wife. They are pretty handy. I'm going to get a remote outdoor 360 model to add to mine so I can keep track on my bear and other critters in my yard.
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 763 Officer
    Nice hunt and nice Buck.