Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Krome Ave.

I was driving north on Krome avenue today for the first time in a couple years and I was really surprised at the transformation that's taking place.
This part of the Canal between the Tamiami Trail and route 27 has always been good fishing, but was really hard to get to. It Took some real determination to get to the water.
Now it looks like they cleaned up the Levee,mowed the Levee and the flat part near the Canal. Looks like it makes it lot a easier access to fishing.
The sections of East side of the canal have been cleaned up a lot too.
Has anyone been out there lately?

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,767 Moderator
    I'll be driving by tomorrow on my way to the keys. Maybe I'll stop ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    I'll be driving by tomorrow on my way to the keys. Maybe I'll stop ?
    Let us know how you did.
    Didn't stop. Stayed on the turnpike.
  • ygreenberg628ygreenberg628 Posts: 13 Deckhand
    i fished the tamiami canal right next to the bridge on krome ave twice in the past week. the first time, there were peacocks all over right next to the edge, and i caught 3, all about a pound. i stopped in the same place a few days later, and i saw a few other fish, but only a few peacocks that i was able to see. either they weren't here, or they were in deeper water. either way, its worth a try. i guess it depends on the day. also, i have very little experience, so maybe someone with more experience can get them out of the middle without seeing them
    i fished the tamiami canal right next to the bridge on krome ave twice in the past week. the first time, there were peacocks all over right next to the edge, and i caught 3, all about a pound. i stopped in the same place a few days later, and i saw a few other fish, but only a few peacocks that i was able to see. either they weren't here, or they were in deeper water. either way, its worth a try. i guess it depends on the day. also, i have very little experience, so maybe someone with more experience can get them out of the middle without seeing them

:banghead I knew I should have stopped..
    Hey , you caught 3. That's 3 more peas than I've ever caught. They seem to hug the bank from what you guys tell me and from what I've seen on TV.
    i was there again a few days ago they were all over the place! i caught 4, and my friend caught 2, up to 1.5 lbs
    i was there again a few days ago they were all over the place! i caught 4, and my friend caught 2, up to 1.5 lbs

Cool. Post up a report !
  • louief97louief97 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Could someone mark this spot on a map like google maps or something? I think I know what you guys are talking about but I went there once and didn't see a single peacock.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    I love fishing the Trail and first went out there with my Grandpa sixty Yeats ago.
    corner of krome (sw177th) ave and tamiami trail. there is a gas station across the st that doubles as a bait and tackle shop. there is a little spot just north of the intersection where you can park, and try both sides of the street