Home Tropics

Replies

• Sorry Stroker, I guess we were both posting at the same time.......
  • Stroker AceStroker Ace Posts: 335 Deckhand
    No problem. As the old verse goes they will reap what they sow......or something like that.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Sorry Stroker, I guess we were both posting at the same time.......

Turds of a feather flock...:wink
    yeah, lucky i guess you do.
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    No problem. As the old verse goes they will reap what they sow......or something like that.

Didn't know you were a Ron homey. Tell me did you two have some sort of cyber race to see who could get the Bimini bad news up first? As far as RW is concerned you both are preaching to the choir; no one on here likes what is happening with RW. That includes his Ocean guy who is doing his best to put the best face on a mess.

The real problem is that when you post this information in such a contentious way, you are perpetuating the myth that Bimini and the islands are a dangerous place by asking for controversy. To use this opportunity to amplify your own agenda by generating antagonism is despicable. I see you have learned the Ron game in bashing other members in the process. Nice, but you missed the chance toss in a bit of bigotry like your homeboy. The crime is being dealt with; there is no need to continue to negatively impact the tourism in the islands. Your petty little reactionary group do more harm to the cause than help.

Both of these threads need to be capped of like a dry well. If the mods won't do it, I would suggest that going forward, responsible members refrain from posting in both threads in the interest of all Bahamians.
  • theoceanairetheoceanaire Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    Didn't know you were a Ron homey. Tell me did you two have some sort of cyber race to see who could get the Bimini bad news up first? As far as RW is concerned you both are preaching to the choir; no one on here likes what is happening with RW. That includes his Ocean guy who is doing his best to put the best face on a mess.

The real problem is that when you post this information in such a contentious way, you are perpetuating the myth that Bimini and the islands are a dangerous place by asking for controversy. To use this opportunity to amplify your own agenda by generating antagonism is despicable. I see you have learned the Ron game in bashing other members in the process. Nice, but you missed the chance toss in a bit of bigotry like your homeboy. The crime is being dealt with; there is no need to continue to negatively impact the tourism in the islands. Your petty little reactionary group do more harm to the cause than help.

Both of these threads need to be capped of like a dry well. If the mods won't do it, I would suggest that going forward, responsible members refrain from posting in both threads in the interest of all Bahamians.

You don't speak for me, I do applaud some of the things going on, like lots of employment and investment in the island, something that has escaped the local politicians. Also, local pride is at an all time high, real Biminites digging in their own pockets to make an investment in their future, something that has been missing for years. This is called hope.
  • doctodddoctodd Posts: 84 Deckhand
    So far just hearsay and accusations. Nothing proven.....just alleged. Need to see how it plays out before it is labeled "fact". Article was written february 5th.
    doctodd wrote: »
    So far just hearsay and accusations. Nothing proven.....just alleged. Need to see how it plays out before it is labeled "fact". Article was written february 5th.

Doc, apparently you didn't notice the original post was made on February 5th?

Your very insightful and informative post accomplishes absolutely nothing other than to bring bad news about Bimini into discussion.
  • doctodddoctodd Posts: 84 Deckhand
    stay classy Blue Zone
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,815 Admin
    Blue Zone wrote: »

Any discussion is permitted, as long as members refrain from personal attacks on each other.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Any discussion is permitted, as long as members refrain from personal attacks on each other.

Thread after thread on a public indexed forum bashing Bimini serves no purpose for either this forum or Bimini. I would never advertise my Bahamian or Caribbean business on this forum if I saw all of that. But ok...Fs knows best.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Thread after thread on a public indexed forum bashing Bimini serves no purpose for either this forum or Bimini. I would never advertise my Bahamian or Caribbean business on this forum if I saw all of that. But ok...Fs knows best.

you mean ronnie and **** know best . . .

• alacrity wrote: »
    you mean ronnie and **** know best . . .

No we are looking for a cheap inexperienced lawyer to help us, anyone know one? I mean one who knows something other than ticket law.?
    Well you have neither so there's nothing to worry about is there?

They're not bashing Bimini, they're discussing development in the islands. And their anger comes from their love of the Bahamas.
    I remember when Ginn had huge development plans for West End on Grand Bahama, and all the locals were excited by the prospect of jobs.
    The locals of Grand Bahama aren't very happy now:

airport.jpg
    They're not bashing Bimini, they're discussing development in the islands. And their anger comes from their love of the Bahamas.
    I remember when Ginn had huge development plans for West End on Grand Bahama, and all the locals were excited by the prospect of jobs.
    The locals of Grand Bahama aren't very happy now:

airport.jpg

you make a good point, but there is a fine line. i believe there is some consensus that there is legitimate and well-intentioned concern about development, especially harmful development. where the line gets crossed, in my humble opinion, is when certain people believe they know better than the owners of the land and the residents of the country as to what type of development, if any at all, should occur and then flame everyone else that may disagree with them. to boot, these certain people also (a) blame people of a certain ethnicity and people in certain cities for all ills that befall bimini, (b) seem to disregard from the comfort of their well apportioned homes whatever benefits (jobs, money) that may be enjoyed by biminites from any development in bimini and (c) seem to relish in anything bad associated with the project and then advertise it in order to try to stem the development they oppose (i.e. the **** of a young woman). again, i don't like nor support the development, but its not my country and i don't live in relative poverty.

alacrity wrote: »
    you make a good point, but there is a fine line. i believe there is some consensus that there is legitimate and well-intentioned concern about development, especially harmful development. where the line gets crossed, in my humble opinion, is when certain people believe they know better than the owners of the land and the residents of the country as to what type of development, if any at all, should occur and then flame everyone else that may disagree with them. to boot, these certain people also (a) blame people of a certain ethnicity and people in certain cities for all ills that befall bimini, (b) seem to disregard from the comfort of their well apportioned homes whatever benefits (jobs, money) that may be enjoyed by biminites from any development in bimini and (c) seem to relish in anything bad associated with the project and then advertise it in order to try to stem the development they oppose (i.e. the **** of a young woman). again, i don't like nor support the development, but its not my country and i don't live in relative poverty.

Yeah what he said! :Agree
  • SapingasKangasSapingasKangas Posts: 279 Officer
    Well at least we know where the OT Administrator stands and thus his gavel. Although with that logic once something fails it should NEVER be attempted again.
    Well at least we know where the OT Administrator stands and thus his gavel. Although with that logic once something fails it should NEVER be attempted again.

Not true. In an environment as fragile as the Bahama islands, development should be undertaken deliberately and thoughtfully.
    Unfortunately, in the Bahamas (as well as in many other countries), the government officials will rubber stamp anything, without regard for the outcome, as long as their palms get greased.
    Ginn was not the only disaster in the islands over the last decade.
    Not true. In an environment as fragile as the Bahama islands, development should be undertaken deliberately and thoughtfully.
    Unfortunately, in the Bahamas (as well as in many other countries), the government officials will rubber stamp anything, without regard for the outcome, as long as their palms get greased.
    Ginn was not the only disaster in the islands over the last decade.

not knowing much about it, did Ginn leave a trail of abandonment and disaster in grand bahama?

not knowing much about it, did Ginn leave a trail of abandonment and disaster in grand bahama?

Yep. See the picture. If you fly over the West End of Grand Bahama, it looks like a bulldozer just flattened and scraped hundreds of acres clean.

Yes, it did.

I think originally it was a $2B project and created a huge amount of optimism quite a few jobs, then no jobs. Same story as 8 or 10 similar broken dreams around the islands. This is why I advocate developers posting a bond of sorts to insure completion of a project. There is nothing worse than seeing a community gear up for something like this, then seeing their hopes dashed. Somewhere on the interwebs is a rendering of the original project which would perfectly define the word garish, however Bobby Ginn did have a general vision with this and four or five other properties which all went South in 2008.

If someone toned it down dramatically, it could be a great waterfront community. That brown stuff you see to the upper left is what remains of a fully landscaped golf course with imported soil from FL; it needs a little re-seeding and a whole lot of water. There are many nice waterfront lots on the market which original buyers are trying to unload; I think $200k or less can can get done and a few very nice houses, one of which is (was) on the market for $10m or so. And it's adjacent to OBB. Not sure why a developer hasn't picked it up...
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    we were fishing over there a bunch when the machine was working at rebuilding the whole area. they impressed the owner of the boat I was running because he knows building and 'doing it right'. he smiled when he saw the lights on at night and said the cost of that machine alone is big. they changed all of the allure of the Bahamas Charm and what you were getting away to. I have great memories of 'West End' bugs, wahoos , Blue Marlin, Large Yellow Tails and Indian Cay Cut.. :) change has happened to a lot of this world for $ and the fact is we pick to change it to something it wasn't.
    Most have chosen to rip each other apart about it or have a rebuttal about it. without respect.
    I am glad I have had the chance to ride around both Bimini and West end long ago in rental cars and golf carts...