Best time of year to fish

If you could pick any time of year to fish for big snook, and maybe reds and trout, but mainly snook, what time of year would you fish?

I am finally finishing up grad school and my dad and I are planning a trip down to Everglades City. We have a flats boat and in the past our trips typically lined up summer vacation. While we don't mind the head, the fishing hasn't been great the last few years or at least we haven't been great at finding them.

Right now we are considering October. We love to fish artificials but also usually like at least the opportunity to find bait. We are going to aim for the new moon, but who knows if that will actually work out.

So, let me have it, if you could choose just one week out of the year for snook, what would it be?
Brett Fox
20' SeaChaser Flats by Carolina Skiff
Durham, NC (grew up in Lakeland, FL) and spend my days fishing all over Tampa Bay
Fisherman & Photographer
brettfoxphotography.com

Replies

• brettfox27brettfox27 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Cricket cricket? Does nobody use this anymore?
    Brett Fox
    Durham, NC (grew up in Lakeland, FL) and spend my days fishing all over Tampa Bay
    Fisherman & Photographer
    brettfoxphotography.com
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,096 Officer
    I have not replied because I don't have an answer. Just about anytime can be a good time except for cold windy weather conditions that stirs up the bottom. My two least favorite months are August and September due to the heat.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Haha. Fair enough.
    Brett Fox
    Fisherman & Photographer
    brettfoxphotography.com
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 503 Officer
    I'm with snook on this one. Fishing is great all year round in this area of the state. During the summer I try and do more night trips because of the heat. Even on the cold days you could still have some good fishing. But my all time favorite for inshore oct-dec and even into jan and if its not that cold.
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    For me it would be easier to say the months that I don't like and that would be typically January thru March. And that all depends on the weather we are having. I love fishing in Oct in our area so I don't think you should have any problems for snook. The way I look at it is the best times to fish are anytime I can.

Fish the Everglades and 10,000 islands with Hopefishing.com. Also offering multiple day all inclusive fishing/camping trips
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • snooknomoresnooknomore Posts: 708 Officer
    may was my best month
  • BigTimeBigTime Posts: 611 Officer
    I agree. Fishing is relatively good all year round.

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,242 Captain
    I love it when folks don't like September and August... If you like really big snook and large tarpon -there's hardly a better time. And, of course, you get the added bonus of having most places to yourself.... Funny thing, though, I rarely find many paying customers then (hmmm... wonder why that is?).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • rgarryrgarry Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Funny thing, though, I rarely find many paying customers then (hmmm... wonder why that is?).

I fish the summer since work is slower but the reason we are all alone is its hot as he'll and you dodge storms all afternoon
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,242 Captain
    ....and the anglers need to be pretty tough....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • snookerf150snookerf150 Posts: 298 Officer
    August-October are my absolute favorite months to fish from estero bay- EC. Cant beat the fishing, Tarpon, snook, redfish, cobia, permit, and no one around to bother you.
    Is there typically bait around in October? I have usually only been down during the heat of the summer when it is either tiny or real scarce. Looks like we are gonna be down sometime in October. Got to pick the best looking week and go for it. Probably going to start in Goodland since we have found some pretty affordable places and really love that area. Not totally going up on EC but know bettr where to target fish around Marco and Goodland. Also hoping October will be absent of joyriders and idiots on the water.

Will be back for tips as it gets closer unless you feel open to sharing past experiences now. Where to target? What to throw? Etc

You guys are great. Thx

Also, we may get a guide to first day so any recs for someone that fishes out of Goodland would be great.
    Brett Fox
    Fisherman & Photographer
    brettfoxphotography.com
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    brettfox27 wrote: »
    We may get a guide to first day so any recs for someone that fishes out of Goodland would be great.

Two excellent guides have responed to your thread. Bob Lemay and Charlie Phillips (Hope Fishing).
    Give them a call and see if they fit ino your plan.

What prices have you been quoted in Goodland for hotel ?
    I know Captain's Table in E.C. has summer pricing $69 per night.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Oh, ok. Thanks

We have found a 2br for 650 for the week and that is on the water with a dock and doesn't seem like a hole in the wall. There are a few others that are in the 800 range and that would be fine with my parents as well. It's my understanding that at captains table, you don't have your boat in the water. It's also a lot more convenient to be up in Goodland for my mom, who doesn't go out with us every day but would rather relax, go shopping, and go to the beach. She likes to go out with us about half the time, fish a little, and go shelling, but the convenience to Marco and Naples is a lot better than EC. EC is great for a guys trip, but not so much for mom.

We used to stay up on the Marco river when my parents could trade for a timeshare week but it got too expensive and we couldn't ever get in and that's when we changed to EC. I'm looking forward to being back up there since I have more confidence and know the area a little better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brett Fox
    Fisherman & Photographer
    brettfoxphotography.com
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    $650 is a bargin w/ dock
    I've fished out of Goodland a few times with the YMCA tournement Collier County.Can't remember the guides I fished with.
    Ended up fishing docks and residential,which really doesn't go with the Everglades experience.
    Let us know how it works out.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer
    brettfox27 wrote: »
    If you could pick any time of year to fish for big snook, and maybe reds and trout, but mainly snook, what time of year would you fish?

I am finally finishing up grad school and my dad and I are planning a trip down to Everglades City. We have a flats boat and in the past our trips typically lined up summer vacation. While we don't mind the head, the fishing hasn't been great the last few years or at least we haven't been great at finding them.

Right now we are considering October. We love to fish artificials but also usually like at least the opportunity to find bait. We are going to aim for the new moon, but who knows if that will actually work out.

So, let me have it, if you could choose just one week out of the year for snook, what would it be?

New Moon April
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,365 Admiral
    New Moon April
    Right when the Sows are Fattng up for the Spawn in June, July Aug. No Summer Boomers tryin to kill you and the Bugs are tolerable
    Yankees are going home big time and it's all quiet on the water
    Killin and Grillin :grin