Canaveral Redfish on Fly 1/28/2014

Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,875 Admin
This week I was fishing aboard the Brassy Hooker in what we call our annual Brownie Recon mission in search of early season Cobia. I brought my 10 wt with me incase the opportunity presented itself. The area is Port Canaveral and the first sighting was a humpback whale that breached within casting distance of our vessel. We see them every year around this time in 45' of water and that is about 2-3 miles offshore or less. After we where convinced that no cobia we in tow we broke off pursuit and stumbled across a school of redfish. It took me a while and finally I got one to eat and this is my personal best redfish on fly. This guy got so far into my backing I got really nervous about breaking the line or pulling the hook.

Next trip I will still be after my first Cobia on fly but this was a really nice by product catch.
Mark Wilson
AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg

Replies

• redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    That is the best byproduct ever. Mark, this is one of the fattest reds I have seen! Way to go,… Super Job

:thumbsup
  • kahmadkahmad Posts: 235 Officer
    Awesome! So jelly.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Nice red!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,875 Admin
    Thanks Jim, we still need to hook up and get a line wet off river road.

Shadowcast, I am not very supersticous but I suggest you post another reply real quick to get past 666 Posts....
    Mark Wilson
  • eeekbackupinthereeeekbackupinthere Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Nice!
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Mark, that sounds like fun just let me know when good for you.

That darn red gets fatter and fatter every time I look. I see you weighed her, had to be at least high 30's?

Thanks,..
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,289 Captain
    That's a tank Mark, well done.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    My neighbor was on this trip with you (the other fly fisher) and told Bradley and I all about it yesterday......man that sounds like a lot of fun!

:willynilly
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    Holy smokes! That's a beast! :hail

I guess I'm gonna have to take a day off during the week and get out there. Baseball has my Saturdays and Sundays tied up and it's killing me!

Tight work bud! :beer
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • BridgeRodBridgeRod Posts: 211 Officer
    don't let the peanut gallery see the pic of the fish being held by the scale
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,201 Captain
    BridgeRod wrote: »
    don't let the peanut gallery see the pic of the fish being held by the scale

That's me I guess, what a rookie move on a slob of a redfish. No one even cares about the weight these days, just measure it,take a photo, and try to increase his chance at survival.
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 426 Deckhand
    Nice catch. That's a monster
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    Sweet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quality Performance Apparel, Realistic Prices.
    www.ReloGear.Com
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,875 Admin
    FishInFL wrote: »
    That's me I guess, what a rookie move on a slob of a redfish. No one even cares about the weight these days, just measure it,take a photo, and try to increase his chance at survival.

We caught 8 or so of these fish that day and only three where wieghed for FSFA records, others were measured or simply released. If you have ever fished with me you would know that I am the ultimate fish conservationist. The fish was released healthy and did not need any reviving, but thanks for asking:-)
    Mark Wilson
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,420 Moderator
    FishInFL wrote: »
    No one even cares about the weight these days, just measure it,take a photo, and try to increase his chance at survival.

Don't believe that. That's why IGFA exists,and records, world,state, or personal, are based upon weight. A short fish can be fat and a long fish can be skinny. Nice fish!!!
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,201 Captain
    We caught 8 or so of these fish that day and only three where wieghed for FSFA records, others were measured or simply released. If you have ever fished with me you would know that I am the ultimate fish conservationist. The fish was released healthy and did not need any reviving, but thanks for asking:-)

Fair enough! I meant like bragging rights these days. You don't hear too much I caught a redfish and it weighed 30 lbs. it's more like I caught a 40 inch red, which the weight really isn't all that important. Understand though for records obviously
  • Hoff The HookHoff The Hook Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    how much did it weigh?
  • Swamp GuideSwamp Guide Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Fat stuff, DW! Beautiful coloring & Super Bonus Points for catchin' it on the long rod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LilJimLilJim Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Don't believe that. That's why IGFA exists,and records, world,state, or personal, are based upon weight. A short fish can be fat and a long fish can be skinny. Nice fish!!!

You need to take another look at what the igfa is doing then, they have a program for all tackle length records. You measure the fish with their special tool, snap a picture and release unharmed (fish must be released for record.)
  • RiverdogRiverdog Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Does all tackle mean that its one category and doesnt consider the line class?

If so that sounds a little unfair to award a world record regardless of light tackle versus heavy tackle.

Nice catch, that is an awesome redfish.
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    like a big gold fish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quality Performance Apparel, Realistic Prices.
    www.ReloGear.Com