Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

If you could do it all over again...

Hello all. I have been lurking around for a while and in that time I have come to respect the opinions of people on this site. So I would like to hear all-ya'all's opinions on my situation. I live in Montana, am an Air Force retiree, and am currently going to school to be an RN. After I complete my program my wife and I are considering moving to Florida. I enjoy hunting and fishing, my wife is an accountant, and grandchildren MAY be involved in the equation. So here is my question...if you had the chance to do it all again/move/start over, or stay right where you are, I want to know where and why; or maybe where to stay away from. I'm not looking for neighbor-bashing or chest pounding, just thoughts with where and why or why not. With the wealth of first hand knowledge of Florida on this site, and maybe even the surrounding states, I'm sure I will get great input. I have intentionally left out much of my info so as not to effect anyone's comments. So, anyone who would like to weigh in on the subject, let me hear what you have to say. I will be posting this in all of the regional forums so I can get everyone's thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your input...and good luck out there.

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 777 Officer
    We live in Naples,retired here to enjoy the backcountry fishing.Is there other parts
    of Fl.we would live in year around-yes,the Keys,Stuart,Vero Beach,Punta Gorda.But
    for us Naples is great because we avoid most of cold weather and we sit just
    outside Everglades National,a giant undeveloped Yellowstone.
    On the job front,I hear Naples Com.Hosp.is paying large bonsuses to start.
  • BlackcoBlackco Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Thanks 10KMAN for the input; I appreciate it. Definitely some info to keep in the files.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,220 Officer
    10kman wrote: »
    We live in Naples,retired here to enjoy the backcountry fishing.Is there other parts
    of Fl.we would live in year around-yes,the Keys,Stuart,Vero Beach,Punta Gorda.But
    for us Naples is great because we avoid most of cold weather and we sit just
    outside Everglades National,a giant undeveloped Yellowstone.
    On the job front,I hear Naples Com.Hosp.is paying large bonsuses to start.

X2 Moved to Naples 40 years ago. I still love it although there have been a lot of changes.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    I dont mind living in downtown Miami Beach. I have everything I need and am 1.5 hours from Chokoloskee, Flamingo, Islamorada and Jupiter. Deepwater access if I chose to get offshore is only 5 minutes to 30' of water, another 20 and I am in 600' of water, lobster your butt off every day lobster season is open and the snook and tarpon fishing in downtown Miami aint too shabby either. Oh and not nearly the number of bull sharks over here on this side.

Some days the traffic gets to me.

Depends on what you want to get out of your deal. South Miami area is a bit slower and nicer, but also $$ to buy a house.

$0.02
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    I grew up in New York, just outside of the city. While in High School I thought I'd never want to leave. Then I went to college in Virginia and since lived in Ohio, Illinois, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida (some of them two and three times). I've retired in Florida which was a no-brainer for me and my wife (who spent most of her childhood years here). I fish the Indian River several times a month, play golf and enjoy the beach, walking, swimming and eating as I watch the cold fronts send snow and ice to the northern parts. I scuba albeit not as much now but I can catch lobster with the best of them.
    That being said, define what you know as your wants - then start the search. If ocean is in your future, the entire coastline from VA to the FL panhandle and beyond has distinctly separate features and advantages. Renting is a good option, but first settle on a general region. Look at the temperature zones; for example, in Vero Beach, FL we rarely freeze. But in Jacksonville you get freezing days every year albeit not many. Go further north and winter boating/fishing diminishes. Want Gulf Stream fishing? Palm Beach is about as close as it gets. I'd suggest you do some soul searching and define better what you might want.
  • BlackcoBlackco Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Thank you so much for all of your input. I posted this question on all of the regional forums and the one thing I have seen throughout is that I should easily be able to find someplace I LOVE in Florida.
    It was -36 night before last. The only fishing I'm doing is with an ice auger...no thanks. I've experienced sub-zero weather EVERY year of my life since I was in 4th grade...I'm almost 47 now, you do the math, I've had enough.
    Through much of the advise everyone has offered I think we will be looking for someplace with smaller CITY living. Neither myself or my wife want to live in the big cities. That does come with its drawbacks but we can live with that. And, I want to be close enough to the ocean to be able to swing by on my way to work/home/whatever to take a look. Living ON the water I think will cost more than I am willing to pay when the same house across the street will generally be substantially cheaper (I can trailer my boat to the ramp).
    As for the kind of fishing I like to do...anything with slime and scales. I like to be able to eat it too. Sounds like that narrows it down to... ANYPLACE in Florida. :wink
    On the hunting side...anything that moves. I have hunted hogs a few times in TX and OK and I loved it. Here in Montana there are lots of animals to hunt but getting access to the ranches they are on is VERY difficult. If you can get permission the killing part is easy...the permission is what is hard and it's getting discouraging.
    Hunting is a lot of work...that's part of the deal but "been there done that...looking for something new." You guys go out for a boat ride, when the weather is nice, catch some reds, specs, flounder, grouper, snapper, shrimp, etc., head back to the dock, fish cleaned in an hour, all the nice fresh fillets you want. See my issue. I know there are a lot of drawbacks to everything but looking forward to something new.

Thanks again everyone. Keep it coming if you have something to add.
  • snooknomoresnooknomore Posts: 708 Officer
    I lived on chokolskee for 7 years, boat sitting in the water fished allmost everyday. had locals show me some great spots best part of my life so far hated to leave.