Some gear stolen... need to replace. Help me choose.

I had a couple metal 113h senator combos, a couple avet combos, a couple cheap kids daiwa spinner combos, and a couple diawa bg30 spinning combos, and a couple standard 113h senator combos taken.

Stinks, but I was looking at getting some different stuff anyway. Only thing I really cared about were the Avets. Well... the metal senators were nice, too. Didn't really like the BGs, I just gave the other two that were left to my son in law.

So I like to buy matching sets of 4 and want the most bang for the buck. Not into big bling (read this as I don't have to have all gold stuff on the boat) but more into functionality/price that will handle the job.

What I want to get are:
4 grouper/bottom combos - Thinking about Baja Specials and ??? (Grouper, ARS, AJs, etc.)
4 trolling combos - Thinking about tld25s and ??? (Dolphin, sails, wahoo, tuna, etc)
4 medium spinning combos - ??? and ??? (light bottom fishing, cobia, tripletails, inshore reds, trout, etc)

Haven't really settled on a budget but it certainly ain't gonna be anywhere near 5K... I'd give birth to a T Rex first. Important things are the stuff has to work, work right, and be reliable without a lot of fuss, be kind of grandkid proof, be something I won't feel the need to jump after if it goes over the side.

well... there you have it. Help me spend some money.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

Replies

• ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Man that's "some" of your stuff? Sorry to hear about you getting jacked. Keep your eyes open on CL - that's how we caught the kid who stole from us.

The tld's are a solid choice that meet all of your criteria. For the spinning reels there are many good choices but for what you describe, I like a 4000 size reel with an extra spool. 10-12# mono on one for creeks/river and 20# braid on the other for nearshore stuff. I've always been a Shimano fan for my spinners. I picked up a 5000 Penn Spinfisher to put on a midrange surf/spin outfit last year that seems bombproof, comparatively well sealed and wont break the bank, but if I recall only came with one spool.

There's just a lot of good rods out there that its really just a matter of personal preference - I recommend hitting your favorite tackle retailer with a decent selection and just seeing what feels right and then look at the price tag to make sure it meets your budget. I had a $75 Ugly Stik that lasted 20 years that went to hell and back. I've also paid $300+ for rods that never worked any magic whatsoever and frankly ended up staying in the closet while ol' Ugly went fishing.
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 790 Officer
    I switched from TLD's and Speedmasters to Penn Fathom 30's last year and I'm loving them...super smooth.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Are you buying NEW or Trolling the Classifieds, eBay, Craig's List looking for deals on Used Gear ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,169 Officer
    Are you buying NEW or Trolling the Classifieds, eBay, Craig's List looking for deals on Used Gear ???

either... depends on condition. I don't mind buying used and have been looking on THT, ebay and here for deals. Thing is for most of the nicer used stuff most of these guys want so much for it it makes more sense to buy new. For example, I can get new tld25s for 135-150. But they seem to want 125ish for them used, or 175-200 with a rod.

With me, it's not so much about the money (within responsible limits) as it is about the deal... did that make sense?

dlagator wrote: »
    I switched from TLD's and Speedmasters to Penn Fathom 30's last year and I'm loving them...super smooth.

I don't seem to be able to draw a great conclusion about the fathoms. Besides, as I recall, they are star drags and for trolling, I think I want lever drags. The fathoms do have a whopping fast retrieve, don't they! And they're pretty, too.

Element wrote: »
    Man that's "some" of your stuff? Sorry to hear about you getting jacked. Keep your eyes open on CL - that's how we caught the kid who stole from us.

The tld's are a solid choice that meet all of your criteria. For the spinning reels there are many good choices but for what you describe, I like a 4000 size reel with an extra spool. 10-12# mono on one for creeks/river and 20# braid on the other for nearshore stuff. I've always been a Shimano fan for my spinners. I picked up a 5000 Penn Spinfisher to put on a midrange surf/spin outfit last year that seems bombproof, comparatively well sealed and wont break the bank, but if I recall only came with one spool.

There's just a lot of good rods out there that its really just a matter of personal preference - I recommend hitting your favorite tackle retailer with a decent selection and just seeing what feels right and then look at the price tag to make sure it meets your budget. I had a $75 Ugly Stik that lasted 20 years that went to hell and back. I've also paid $300+ for rods that never worked any magic whatsoever and frankly ended up staying in the closet while ol' Ugly went fishing.

Yeah... my Ugly Stiks are like the old Timex watches... Take a licking and keeps on ticking. I have a really sweet old Daiwa SL350H on a 7' Ugly Tiger that is the best mango snapper setup ever. Had that rig for going on 15 years. It just keeps going. Paid 140 on sale for the combo back when I bought it. Got it especially for night-time mango fishing on Hubbard's overnight Middle Ground trips. Now it's the first rod my son in law reaches for. Gonna have to leave that one to him in the will.

• GaffitGaffit Posts: 580 Officer
    All Shimano. I love my Trinidad 20A. Bottom fishing 130ft is no problem. Strictly wahoo, prefer shimano 50w. Dolphin and other paligics I prefer 30w. Tolling the beach for kings 20w. Spinning reels, Shimano Saragosa 6500-7000. That's my 02
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I have a Pair of nice/used Conventional Hopper Jigging Rods # HOPC 500FS58 5ft 8 in CAST 100-200 lb (300-400gr) = $315-Shipped for the Pair... Great Bottom/Jigging Rods for Big Grouper/AJ Fishing & can double as Trolling Rods.
    If you Google them you'll see they sell for ~$190/ea.+Tax/Shipping (~$400 New for the Pair)
    They're pretty stiff (& Tough as Nails) if that's what you're looking for...

I have Torsas on them (my preferred Bottom Reels) & fish 80lb braid w/~25lbs of drag & they handle that fine...

Re- Spinners I like my Saragosas (for the money)... For Trolling I like my Avet 30Ws...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • yepuhuhyepuhuh Posts: 169 Officer
    I have about 9 bottom fishing combos that I have caught many snapper and grouper on.
    The reels range from Daiwa 350-400 models(not price). Indestructable. if interested PM me for my digits.
    I'm sure we could make a deal...My rods are custom as well.
    so after putting hands on TLDs and Squalls, I like the Squalls a little better. The squall drags are better with the upgraded ht100 material. The instant anti reverse has a better feel and the handle crank is night and day better. It also feels smoother and the drag lever doesn't stick up above the side plate to catch a line or get accidentally bumped. Size-wise the squal 50 is about the same dimensions as the TLD25 but I'm not sure if I need the squall 40 or 50.

• loweballzloweballz Posts: 216 Officer
    I've had great luck with the Shimano TLD=very effective and cost friendly. Never hooked a blue marlin on one but they handle what I've seen thrown at them very well in scenarios from mid-atlantic tuna to SE mahi, kings, wahoo,etc. I have not had the chance to fish the Squalls yet.

Bottom-The baja specials can handle quite a bit. I bought one after fishing a Daiwa Saltist 40 and was having issues with bigger fish in depths > 90 foot dragging me into the structure. The baja special helped quite a bit though the fish still kick my **** most of the time!
    That and the PENN customer service is very dependable when you send reels in if needed.
    1987 261 Mako CC twin 2006 175hp Suzuki four strokes
    1978 14' Seanymph 15 hp Evinrude