Sunday Beach Launch at John U. Lloyd (Feb. 2nd)

I am doing a beach launch at John U. Lloyd State Park this Sunday Feb. 2nd at 8:00 am. I sure wish I would be allowed earlier from there, but that is not the case.

I will head NE from there, just past the inlet, and fish that area. Last time I went, I did decent there. The weather is looking favorable this weekend.

If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know.

Thanks.
Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.

Replies

• CvstratCvstrat Posts: 53 Deckhand
    I'll be out Saturday morning. Won't be able to make it Sunday.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Luck 2U. Next time out.
    Cvstrat wrote: »
    I'll be out Saturday morning. Won't be able to make it Sunday.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Yea I'm working Sunday. I'll be out there sat as well.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Leave some fish for me Pottymouth :wink
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Yea I'm working Sunday. I'll be out there sat as well.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,267 Moderator
    Frank, I might see you out there on Sunday. not sure what time I am going to launch yet.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Frank, I might see you out there on Sunday. not sure what time I am going to launch yet.

I plan on going into the park at 8:00 when it opens. I'm an early riser, so I guess if this is the earliest I can get in, I have no other choice. I am looking for other early launch options in this area. Usually by 8:00 am, I'm already fishing. I'm going to try this a few more times to see if works for me :rolleyes, but if not, it's back to break of dawn beach launch at Dania or Pompano.:dance
    You could technically launch north of the jetty. It's a public beach. You'd have to use your yak cart and bring a roll of quarters because the parking is metered and fairly far away from the beach. Honestly though it's a bit of a hike and almost certainly way less effort to launch at the park and paddle north.
    You could technically launch north of the jetty. It's a public beach. You'd have to use your yak cart and bring a roll of quarters because the parking is metered and fairly far away from the beach. Honestly though it's a bit of a hike and almost certainly way less effort to launch at the park and paddle north.
    "Public Beach"....That's the problem. Yeah I can launch off, before the lifeguards get there, but on the return I'll certainly have to deal with them. Thanks but no thanks:nono. I have launched from other public beaches before, but when I get back, I got issues.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,267 Moderator
    Uh Frank cvstrat is talking about the area north of the pier where we normally launch and land: no lifeguards there. It's where I will launch on Sunday if I do go.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Uh Frank cvstrat is talking about the area north of the pier where we normally launch and land: no lifeguards there. It's where I will launch on Sunday if I do go.
    he is referring to the beach by 17th street causeway I believe. Not sure though.
    Yes I'm talking about the beach off 17th street, on the north side of the inlet. There aren't lifeguards on that beach. Like I said it's a bit of a walk, but if you had the beach cart it might be worth looking into if you wanted to fish north of the inlet.
    :thumbsup
    Yes I'm talking about the beach off 17th street, on the north side of the inlet. There aren't lifeguards on that beach. Like I said it's a bit of a walk, but if you had the beach cart it might be worth looking into if you wanted to fish north of the inlet.
  • fishingfool1488fishingfool1488 Posts: 104 Officer
    How'd it go?
    Meat Mayhem Tournaments
    Bimini Wahoo Mayhem Feb 1-3rd 2018
    Palm Beach Mayhem March 8-10th 2018
    Ft Lauderdale Mayhem April 26-28th
    http://www.meatmayhemtournaments.com
    How'd it go?
    I went by the 17th street first thing in the am. Did not like the chop. So I headed further south, (not really much further), just Dania Beach. Ran into some other yakkers contemplating the surf also. Between the low-tide, beach rollers and strong east winds...this was an aborted offshore trip.

Most of us made a quick u-turn do to high surf and strong east winds. One of the pack did go out. Hopefully he did well. lmp1978 and I chose to do some inshore fishing, and got skunked. We had between the both of us, half a dozen live gogs, that we tried to put to use. We thought maybe some tarpon or snook would like a change of menu, from their daily mullet...but that wasn't the case.

Till next time. Hopefully soon enough.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Frank, the boat ramp at John Lloyd actually opens at 6AM. You just tell them you are going to the boat ramp and pay the $10 launch fee plus the park fee. Alternatively, if you go south to Haulover Marina you can go out Haulover inlet into the ocean. Also a $10 fee. The advantage of the Haulover launch is that if it's too rough to go offshore, the intracoastal and the bay around Haulover is fishier than the area around port Everglades (except for that 30 inch cuda I got last month).

If anyone gets the idea of telling them you are going to the boat ramp at John Lloyd before it opens and then going for a beach launch (i.e. Sept 1st for snook season), it doesn't work. They nabbed me in the parking lot before I could even unload.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
    Thanks Bugdoc. Let's see what the weather gods do for us next week.

I did call them and they told me that I would have to get in before 6:00 am, because from 6:00 am to 8:00 am, no one other than authorized personnel, is allowed in the park. I remember having this conversation with one of the park rangers before. They just rather not have kayaks launch from the boat ramp pre-dawn. Even with lights on my kayak, they still gave me the same story. I sure wish they would make up their minds on this matter.

I really did like the contour of the sea floor I fished north of the inlet, last time I went. I must go for it again.

That day it took a while for me to start catching fish, until I saw the markings on the depth finder. The drop-offs were nice and steep, so I stayed within the area and got lucky. It's hard to miss, with all the party boats doing some drift fishing within the zone.

Again thanks.
  • lmp1978lmp1978 Posts: 154 Officer
    Hey Frank, don't discard the possibility of going out of Hallandale one of this weekends.. Just to try something different..