An opinion on spaying and neutering dogs.

JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,302 Admiral
[h=2]Thursday, January 23, 2014[/h] [h=3]DON'T Spay or Neuter Your Pets![/h]
We shouldn't be listening to the Bob Barkers of the world.

Two significant new studies were released in 2013 on the adverse health effects of spay-neuter. This adds to a large body of previous information.

A study on Golden Retrievers done by UC Davis revealed some SHOCKING facts about what we are doing to our canine companions when we neuter them.

"The study examined hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament tear, lymphosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, and mast cell tumor...... The disease rates for ALL FIVE diseases were significantly HIGHER in both males and females that were neutered either early or late, compared with that of sexually intact dogs. Specifically, early neutering was associated with an increase in the occurrence of hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament tear, and lymphosarcoma in males and in the occurrence of cranial cruciate ligament tear in females."

"In most areas, the findings of this study were consistent with that of earlier studies, suggesting similar increases in disease risks. The UC-Davis study, however, is the first to specifically report an increased risk of mast cell tumors and hemangiosarcoma with late neutering."

"Furthermore, the new study showed a 100 percent increase in the incidence of hip dysplasia among early-neutered males."

Read all about it in the AVMA Journal:

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130401s.aspx

The study report:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0055937

Golden Retrievers are one of the most popular breeds in the US, and the vast majority are going to end up as sterilized pets.

Why are we as a society setting up our dogs for pain and early death? Are YOU inflicting pain and suffering on your dog by spaying or neutering, just so you can feel morally superior and politically correct?

Now here's the other major study, just released. It's a retrospective done on literally THOUSANDS of Vizslas.

The study showed that, regardless of the age at the time of neutering, altered dogs had "significantly increased odds of developing mast cell cancer, lymphoma, all other cancers, all cancers combined, and fear of storms, compared with the odds for sexually intact dogs."

Female Vizslas spayed (regardless of age) had "significantly increased odds of developing hemangiosarcoma, compared with the odds for sexually intact dogs" as did males spayed AFTER the age of 1 year.

The study concluded that spay/neuter when done prior to six months old "significantly increased odds of developing a behavioral disorder."

"The younger the age at gonadectomy, the earlier the mean age at diagnosis of mast cell cancer, cancers other than mast cell, hemangiosarcoma, lymphoma, all cancers combined, a behavioral disorder, or fear of storms."

Translation: The sooner the neuter is done, the sooner your dog will likely develop a health or behavioral problem.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.244.3.309

Of course, for followers of this blog, none of this is earth-shattering news. We've posted many previous studies that come to the same conclusion. For more information , do a search on the blog for the label "spay/neuter" or "rethinking spay and neuter".

Don't pretend you're spaying and neutering to keep your dog healthy....because, in most situations, you're NOT.

MyVizslas_ScottMeisterDOTcom.jpg

Replies

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,382 Captain
    This will help me gain some ground in my fight to keep Herschels balls. He just turned 1 and the bully is starting to show and he is always tryin' to whoop the older male. Everybodies answer is to cut him. I never have and don't plan to start. Thanks for posting.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,846 Admiral
    Interesting stuff JB. Seems we've been sold the Brooklyn bridge.
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    More dogs are run over by cars from *****es being in heat and how can you compare the number of unwanted dogs being put to death everyday because so many dogs are not being fixed?
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Skunk Ape wrote: »
    More dogs are run over by cars from *****es being in heat and how can you compare the number of unwanted dogs being put to death everyday because so many dogs are not being fixed?

Logic is not part of this thread. Be gone!
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Always wondered why one of my 4 dog's cowered when it heard thunder.
    Very interesting
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,465 Admiral
    Always wondered why one of my 4 dog's cowered when it heard thunder.
    Very interesting
    Wonder why that has anything to do with thunder and neutering ?
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Skunk Ape wrote: »

^^^^^ This.

This article is garbage and bad advice for anyone.

Get the dogs spayed and neutered.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
    ^^^^^ This.

This article is garbage and bad advice for anyone.

Get the dogs spayed and neutered.

It is the best choice.
    Makes sense for most responsible pet owners.
  • DON'T Spay or Neuter Your Pets!

We shouldn't be listening to the Bob Barkers of the world.

You can stop reading right here.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,396 Admiral
    Makes sense for most responsible pet owners.

X2
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    Spay or neuter bigfoot?
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,765 Admiral
    My lil Aussie is almost 8 months old, and now I cant decide to neuter or not?
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    Cane Pole wrote: »

Are you starting a full time business breeding and selling this particular breed? If not, get the dog fixed.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    Why don't they give dogs a vasectomy instead of chopping off his jewels?
    Cane Pole wrote: »

Do you want every loose male dog in 5 miles to be at your door or trying to dig under or climb over your fence. Are you prepared to NEVER let the log out unattended whiles she's in heat? Better yet, she should always be on a leash during this time while outside. Will she wear a diaper? If not, I hope you have tile floors.

Are you prepared for an 'oops' litter that you have to try and find homes for?
    pupraiser wrote: »
    Do you want every loose male dog in 5 miles to be at your door or trying to dig under or climb over your fence. Are you prepared to NEVER let the log out unattended whiles she's in heat? Better yet, she should always be on a leash during this time while outside. Will she wear a diaper? If not, I hope you have tile floors.

But if he's thinking of neutering I hope he has a male.

All great points.

I think in simple terms though, if you're not a breeder, have your animals spayed or neutered, period, end of discussion.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, its just common sense.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    All great points.

I think in simple terms though, if you're not a breeder, have your animals spayed or neutered, period, end of discussion.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, its just common sense.

Apparently it's not that simple.
    tag wrote: »
    But if he's thinking of neutering I hope he has a male.

LOL! Many folks don't know the difference. For some reason I thought his dog was female.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,124 AG
    Simply hilarious how these bloggers can claim to be 'experts' and attempt to sway people's views with their personal emotional agendas.

The blogger posts: "DON'T Spay or Neuter Your Pets!"

AVA report (which the blogger cites!!!) draws this conlusion:

Conclusions and Clinical RelevanceAdditional studies are needed on the biological effects of removing gonadal hormones and on methods to render dogs infertile that do not involve gonadectomy. Veterinarians should discuss the benefits and possible adverse effects of gonadectomy with clients, giving consideration to the breed of dog, the owner's circumstances, and the anticipated use of the dog.

:rotflmao
    Apparently it's not that simple.

Actually it is.

What we have here though is one of the FS forums top 5 trolling experts working his magic, doing what he does best.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that in a bad way, Johnny is a friend of mine and has been for years, hes a very nice person that would literally give you the shirt off his back and is the type of person that will go out of his way to help anyone in need whether you're a close friend or a complete stranger.

He loves to debate and he loves to get you all worked up though and, he's done it again.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    These days most reputable breeders & pet adoption entities require neutering. In most cases you won't get the pet unless it's already neutered, or you agree to have it neutered when the pet reaches correct age. Most breeders don't want competition & charge extra to exempt buyer from neutering clause.

Of course, to honor one of the "top 5 trolling experts" & personal friend of Regional Administrator the thread would not be complete w/o adding; All Pit bulls should be neutered. Last thing we as a society would want are horny, testosterone fueled, Tasmanian Devils running loose. Neutering Yorkies is much less a concern.
    Of course, to honor one of the "top 5 trolling experts" & personal friend of Regional Administrator the thread would not be complete w/o adding; All Pit bulls should be neutered. Last thing we as a society would want are horny, testosterone fueled, Tasmanian Devils running loose. Neutering Yorkies is much less a concern.

Agreed :wink
    Actually it is.

What we have here though is one of the FS forums top 5 trolling experts working his magic, doing what he does best.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that in a bad way, Johnny is a friend of mine and has been for years, hes a very nice person that would literally give you the shirt off his back and is the type of person that will go out of his way to help anyone in need whether you're a close friend or a complete stranger.

He loves to debate and he loves to get you all worked up though and, he's done it again.

If it is a troll then this thread should be deleted.

If he loves to debate where the hell is he?
    If it is a troll then this thread should be deleted.

See, thats where being one of the top 5 in the history of FS comes into play, you can't prove it's a troll, that's how good he really is.
    tag wrote: »
    If he loves to debate where the hell is he?

Again, top 5. It's a tactic, he's allowing us to show all of our cards and then he'll show up later and post enough material to fill a War and Peace novel, rebutting everything we've posted. Look, there's a reason he's top 5, he's no slouch. He's borderline genius.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,124 AG
    See, thats where being one of the top 5 in the history of FS comes into play, you can't prove it's a troll, that's how good he really is.

I thought I did with post 23? He claims something, which the study he cites, does not.....
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Armpits.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.