Bowfishing Terra Ceia

Went out for a few hours before sunset on Tuesday, just mainly wanting to try out the new reel I got for my bow. Shot two nice sheepshead and a mullet. I'm pretty much 1 for 5 on shots, but this new reel I got is pretty sweet and has almost no drag. It helps for sure. My wife is the paparazzi in the back of the boat.

Bowfishing is not something you hear about often around here, but is a ton of fun. It's like hunting, but you get a lot of shots. At the same time, it's like spearfishing but you don't have to get wet. I would like to get more people interested in it around these parts. Legally, anything you can spearfish you can bowfish. If you have a setup and want to get out, just let me know.

Replies

• BKEBKE Posts: 109 Deckhand
    I used to bowfish as a teenager.. It is a lot of fun!
  • TheonethatgotawayTheonethatgotaway Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Bowfishing is a lot of fun. My friends and I use to bowfish the north end of the bay at night.
  • NOTyourSPOTNOTyourSPOT Posts: 232 Officer
    This is bad A$$.. How much is a standard setup? I want to get one for the spring time. Is it worth it fabricating your own or would you recommend just buying the entire setup from a bowfish manufacturer?
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,478 Officer
    Very cool! Looks like a blast
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    Looks fun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quality Performance Apparel, Realistic Prices.
    www.ReloGear.Com
  • Artificial ArtistArtificial Artist Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Love it!!!
  • BarnakillerBarnakiller Posts: 90 Deckhand
    This is bad A$$.. How much is a standard setup? I want to get one for the spring time. Is it worth it fabricating your own or would you recommend just buying the entire setup from a bowfish manufacturer?

It doesn't take much, in my opinion. Just like anything, you can go over-the-top, or keep it cheap. I'm still using a bow I've had since high school, so about 20 years ago. I don't bowfish often, but my setup works fine. I really like this new reel I got, the AMS Retriever Pro. I was always reluctant to buy one, but it was worth the money. I can't remember the name of the arrows/arroheads that I like, but I know when I see them. You can get a package deal off of backwaterbowfishing.com that's better quality than what I have and has everything you need.
  • Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
    Man I nicknamed you QuickDraw all those years back and look at you now!

Yeah it's Willis
  • jbiblerjbibler Posts: 168 Deckhand
    If anyone is interested... I have this kit, like new never used.
    I bought it and planned to use it, but never have. I actually sold my bow and it's just sitting now.
    No box, but everything is there and new.

$140 - I'm located in Ellenton, can meet near I75.
    Call or Text me. 9.4.1.2.2.4.5.8.4.6.

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/online-store/ams-retriever-reels/retriever-pro-combo-kits/ams-retriever-pro-combo-kit.html

Josh B.
    | Pathfinder 23 HPS | Yamaha 300 | Power-Pole | Minn-Kota | JL AUDIO | YETI |
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Very cool. How are you getting the sheepshead close enough to the surface to get a good shot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 669 Officer
    The sheep's are all over the shallow flats in Sarasota/bradenton. I've been catching them while redfishing.
  • OzpaOzpa Posts: 34 Deckhand
    http://www.athensarchery.com/47/products/Hunting-Bows/Harpoon

This company makes top-notch equipment, so this isn't really an entry-level bow. That being said, performance with an expensive bow vs. the performance with a bottom end bow is just like fishing rods and reels. You can get the job done with the cheap stuff, but you'll have fewer problems with the quality equipment.

I own one of their hunting bows, and it is very smooth, very accurate, and very well made.