Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

1/26/14 - First day on the water in months!

Last Sunday was the first day since late August that the weather has met with opportunity for us to get the boat offshore. Was a little nervous Saturday night while I was getting the gear prepped, but I had faith the wind I was feeling wasn't going to last. Got up a little early and made my favorite fishing partner a breakfast of fresh crepes and a perfect cup of coffee. I've found that a little bribery never hurts when I'm asking her to get out of a warm bed and put on every piece of clothing she owns just to go and chase some fish. :grin
Loaded up and iced down, we made our way down the river and were greeted by something I haven't seen in a long while; a calm inlet!

Now, you AmeraCat/Yellowfin/Contender drivers may know what it's like to pass through the inlet without needing to touch the throttle, but this little Angler 204 hasn't seen much of that. It was nice to push the throttle to cruise and stay there for 17 miles. The current was quite a bit more than I was expecting out there, but with the wind in the opposite direction it made for some nice drifts over our spot. She sent down the first piece of squid and it was on! First fish on the deck came off the first drop - a solid 13.5" sea bass.

While she continued a game of give and take with cut squid, I stuck it out with hardware. I picked up some Ebi Jigs thinking the sea bass would love them, and the second drop proved my theory, and also produced our first double of the day.

My bride kept putting fish after fish on the deck with her favorite bait while I played with the jigs. Seems that 12.8" fish loved my side of the boat. Got a little frustrated with the skirts getting sucked off the jigs, especially when my last Ebi came up naked. :banghead Oh well, back to the tackle bag! I sent down a 5oz orange-glow Benthos and was rewarded with the best fish of the day at nearly 16". I swear I pushed the right button on the remote, but I think I turned the camera off instead :shrug But I was soon matched with her best of the day.

For those of you keeping score, yes, that is two keepers for me. Marie then announces that she has on a good one, and she does. Number 9 is on its way up.

Keeper Number 9 hits the deck and promptly pukes up two of my missing Ebi Jig skirts :puke...still perfectly intact with legs, arms and retaining bands! :dance

A couple of throwbacks and grunts later, and she puts the tenth fish in the box...let's point her west! Made our way back to Mayport the same way we came out -- with the throttle at cruise. 26kts all the way past the sheep herders at the rocks until we got to the ramp.

Perhaps the highlight of the day, although not photographed, was the sighting of several mola mola. They're such amazing fish, and to see them completely clear the water is just an awesome sight.
I was hoping to find the third missing skirt as I cleaned up, but I'm happy with the two I got back. Called the in-laws to meet us at Singleton's for fresh sea bass fish & chips. Great way to end the day!
:thumbsup

(To those still reading, thanks for being part of my New Year's resolution to share more of my fishing reports. After all, I learn so much from yours!)

Replies

• ThefourseasThefourseas Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Just some help, if you are going to take photos change the setting on your GoPro. The fish eye is more for videos. I had the same problem until I did some research.

Nice bag of BSB.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,832 Captain
    Very nice report and pics. Looks like y'all had a lot of fun.

• Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,414 Officer
    Nice report and photos. Always a great day on the water when the wifer is aboard! Great idea on calling the inlaws for a fresh fish dinner. Plus have Singelton’s cook em too! You’re making major brownie points all over!!!

You’re a wise man………!
    Brian
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,568 Captain
    Nice work, looks lke fun with the Misses!

We hit a little spot out of Fernandina Monday after striking out on sheeps at the rocks. We caught a seabass every single drop as fast as the bait hit the bottom we hooked up...only eight keepers. Many, many 12.5 - 12.75" fish.
  • Gills.Gone.WildGills.Gone.Wild Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Nice report and photos. Always a great day on the water when the wifer is aboard! Great idea on calling the inlaws for a fresh fish dinner. Plus have Singelton’s cook em too! You’re making major brownie points all over!!!
    You’re a wise man………!
    Brian

Brian, I do not claim wisdom. I do, however, learn quickly from innumerable past mistakes.
    Just some help, if you are going to take photos change the setting on your GoPro. The fish eye is more for videos. I had the same problem until I did some research.
    Nice bag of BSB.
    Thanks for the tip on the GoPro, I'll look into it!

As luck would have it, I have the weekend off. The moment I mentioned this to the wife she said, "Lets go to Steinhatchee! You know they didn't close grouper this year." So, hopefully there will be opportunity for further GoPro experimentation.