Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Thursday

Good morning rise and shine. You guys in the Atl stay safe. Looked awful
The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. - Charles Swindoll

Replies

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,817 AG
    mornin
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,046 Captain
    Morning...late night putting sand out on Bridges...never cooled down like we thought so hopefully we can thaw out quickly.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,833 AG
    mornin

my truck is still covered in the ice that was on it when I went home yesterday after work.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Mornin, glad it never got as cold as they predicted.
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,890 Captain
    Finally had some sleep last night, but the corner of my office isn't exactly the Four Seasons.
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    A late good morning. Hard to get moving when you know it's still gonna' be cold. Guess the excitement for the next few days will be the blame game.

tk
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    The good news is that they are predicting 38 today and 59 tomorrow. That should thaw a little.

I gather it is the whole metro area and not just Atlanta that is gridlocked. Did all the school districts and businesses wait too long to shut down?
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,360 Admiral
    good morning.roads look good and no traffic.glad you folks in northwest did not get this.
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,890 Captain
    Bakerman wrote: »
    The good news is that they are predicting 38 today and 59 tomorrow. That should thaw a little.

I gather it is the whole metro area and not just Atlanta that is gridlocked. Did all the school districts and businesses wait too long to shut down?

I'd say it was a combination of a lot of factors.

1. In hindsight, of course, we probably should not have had school on Tuesday, period. But it isn't as simple as saying, "you guys blew it! Why did you even have school!!!" The NWS forecasts were a bit mixed, but we often focus too much on snow totals, rather than how much of that snow total will accumulate on roadways, when will it occur and how quickly will it freeze solid? The NWS criteria for Winter Wx Advisory and Winter Storm Warning need to be reexamined, because they focus on accumulation. There should be a bit more thought given to timing, surface temperature and wind. We had light wind (<10 kts), timing of the snow was noon-early afternoon (though the only surprise? was higher accumulations starting in the NW Atlanta region by mid morning), and we had surface temps dropping steadily all afternoon and into the teens Tues night. We started with subfreezing road temps.

2. We're good at making calls when we have visual evidence of the hazard. Seeing is believing? We want to ensure it's going to actually snow before we commit to shutting down business. We're too concerned about the reaction when the forecast is a bust. "Why did you close when we got a dusting? I had to pay a babysitter all day or take off from work." etc

3. But we don't have any time to make the call once it starts. We made the call by 11:00 to shut by 1:30. Probably should have been 12:00 or 11:00 for the closing, but again, there is a desire to see snow on the ground before we shut. I'm not even sure those extra hours would have helped.

4. Atlanta is so sprawled that we have exceptionally long commutes. We really need folks to be headed home at least 2 hours before the roadways become hazardous. In this case, the NW roadways were already hazardous by 11:00 AM. That rippled, so that when everyone rushed out starting at 11:00 that accidents in outlying areas slowed down the egress. When you have 100 accidents along an interstate, it doesn't move.

5. Schools have to give themselves even more time to make those calls because of the time it takes to muster buses back at the schools, get them loaded, and get the routes done. So, making a call to close at noon would have been too late. Cherokee County actually called all of their buses back to schools after several started having trouble- this was around noon. This was one of the smarter calls. Kids stuck at school > Kids stuck on 285 all night.

I spent Tuesday night/Wednesday morning trying to coordinate with the state on bus rescues. Had brave bus drivers stuck on interstates trying to keep cold, hungry and scared children calm. Several buses had loads of special needs kids. Really a big mess, but lots of heroes in it all. One bus driver had 22 elementary kids curled up sleeping in their seats through it all.

Don't ever want to go through this again.
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Good post IL. Thanks.

tk
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,360 Admiral
    pretty much 1982,except then snow started at quitting time.best thing to come out of this is Cantore kneeing kid who tried to mess him up.that and my chucktown friends are getting grumpy from no fishing and cold.