Offshore 1/27/14

Planned a last second offshore trip Monday because the weather was just too nice not to go out. We fished between 20-30 miles out of Mayport. We had a tough time finding some green head sea bass but we were able to catch a limit of vermilion snapper and some ringtails. We also caught a nice red snapper and gag that we had to throw back. All fish were caught on cut bait and live grunts with light tackle. Also caught a big cuda and a bonito which we kept for bait for our next trip. I can't complain about catching fish and being on the water.

Thinking about going trolling for wahoo this Saturday if the weather is nice. Does anyone have any favorite spots or rigs they would like to share? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Replies

• Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    That Cuda looks a little sick. Nice haul of fish though! Amazing colors on the red snappers,
  • witchcraftwitchcraft Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    If you can go...I'd suggest heading a little southeast till you hit 160', then put out a spread of skirted ballyhoo's. I like dark colors in winter and I'd pull 2 down. I prefer a planer and shower curtain rings, but even a release clip off a rear cleat will work...start at 160' and work your way pass the roll down , then back , then zig a little zag...drink a beverage of your choice...hope for the best. That would be my simplistic advice to get started.Good luck, Trace
  • mderrico23mderrico23 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    witchcraft wrote: »
    If you can go...I'd suggest heading a little southeast till you hit 160', then put out a spread of skirted ballyhoo's. I like dark colors in winter and I'd pull 2 down. I prefer a planer and shower curtain rings, but even a release clip off a rear cleat will work...start at 160' and work your way pass the roll down , then back , then zig a little zag...drink a beverage of your choice...hope for the best. That would be my simplistic advice to get started.Good luck, Trace

Thanks for the advice much appreciated.