Fog-ventful Birthday at the South end of ML

Took my birthday off to go fishing. Left Orlando at 430am. I don't ever remember seeing the fog so thick in the city so I knew going across Hwy 50 that the visibility would be about 10 feet in front of my SUV. I also don't ever remember the fog evering being insanely thick on the water. Headed out of Haulover going south into the lagoon. You could see about 20 yards in front and behind the boat. Otherwise it was total fog all around. I idled south (afraid of running on plane - didn't want to hit a crab trap or another boat!) until the wall of fog simply broke open. The first pic is the amazing skyline after breaking through the fog. Ended up catching 4 slot reds, losing a big red (he wrapped himself up rolling in the line and it broke), and catching 2 big trout. The one pictured weighed a tad over 4.5lb's according to the boga. It felt bigger than that. I blame it on a old, cranky boga! Fished East of whale tail....polled down the shorline north towards/past what I call the white telescope building. Saw a ton of very large mullet, lots of reds, and lots of big big trout. All the big trout were laid up in sand holes in a foot or less. I had a very slight wind and the sun behind me all day but still managed to spook more fish than I got to throw at. I was polling, barefoot, and not making any noise at all. The only noise was the pole digging into the sand as I pushed. I was simply amazed at how many fish I spooked. As with every trip, I managed to land my jig or cut mullet on the back of a couple fish. That didn't help. Anyway, an beautiful day on the water. Can't wait to head out again soon.......All fish released to be caught another day.

Replies

• wareagle85wareagle85 Posts: 164 Officer
    Nice pics
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,966 Captain
    Great way to enjoy your Birthday.... thanks for the pictures and report...
    OH and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,738 AG
    Nice work...and Happy Birthday.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Happy Birthday.

I too have noticed how spooky the fish are lately. Can't help but wonder wi the water clearing up if they will need to be reacclimated to the sight of fishermen/ boats?
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,893 Captain
    nice report and pics
    Happy Birthday
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    Nicely done and Happy B Day
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • REEL NATIVEREEL NATIVE Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Happy Birthday and thanks for the report!
  • antmo85antmo85 Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Always good fishing on your birthday. That sunrise pic is awesome.
    "Life's a joke, so laugh once in a while"
  • inflatableillnessinflatableillness Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Good job out there and happy belated birthday.