Palm Valley Blues & Unexpected Flounder!

My son & I fished the creeks off the Intercoastal Waterway on Sunday & enjoyed a very nice day. The air temperature was chilly, the wind moderate, but we layered up & were comfortable all day.

The water temperature was 51 degrees at the time of launch, & eventually reached 53 degrees.

The Bluefish were consistent as has been the case for several weeks, but we did catch three Flounder. They were not large (13 1/2 - 14") but were certainly an unexpected surprise.

The Flounder were all caught on spinner baits with 1/8 oz chartreuse jighead with a 3" Natural Colored Gulp Swimming Mullet. One Flounder was caught near Pine Island, and the other two were caught near the entrance to the Guana River.

Always nice spending time with my son!

:cool:

Replies

• BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,078 Officer
    Thanks for the report, glad to hear you had a good day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Hey Jack, glad to hear you got out again with your son. It was a pretty cool day but as you stated you just dress for it. It’s hard to believe that one can catch flounder on those spinner baits but they sure do work!
    Brian
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    Yes, Brian, it was a nice day. We looked for you at your dock while passing in the AM & PM, but did not see any activity there. I was somewhat shocked by the Flounder catch. I figured with the 51 degree water temperature, they had moved offshore.

I have really gotten use to spinner baits now & use them consistently with pretty good results.

With projected 80 degree temperatures for Sunday, Jason & I will probably be out there again.

Jack
    Jack I’ll miss you this Sunday as I won’t be around. My just turned 15 yr old son will be finishing his Open Water SCUBA certification this Sunday with 4 other Boy Scouts. Last Sunday he was doing his first of two Open Water dives (I dove just to observe).

P1030831-L.jpg

P1030833-L.jpg

P1030870-L.jpg

Looking forward to expanding our on-water activities with my family as they get certified.
    We’ll hook up soon.

Brian
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    Jack I’ll miss you this Sunday as I won’t be around. My just turned 15 yr old son will be finishing his Open Water SCUBA certification this Sunday with 4 other Boy Scouts. Last Sunday he was doing his first of two Open Water dives (I dove just to observe).

P1030831-L.jpg

P1030833-L.jpg

P1030870-L.jpg

Looking forward to expanding our on-water activities with my family as they get certified.
    We’ll hook up soon.

Brian

That is awesome! I was certified in 1980 (Whew!) and Jason has talked about getting his, but has not taken the step yet.

Where did the open water dives take place; in one of the springs? Good camera work. GoPro?
    I got certified in Italy in 1981 (that’s dating ourselves). Last week’s dives took place in Manatee Springs. Sunday’s dive was supposed to be at Troy Springs but it’s closed due to “brown water”. Will be diving Ginnie Springs this weekend. Have fun fishing Sunday. Weather looks solid.

Camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4. Now discontinued but can be found for $180 now (!!). It’s a solid good land and U/W camera (to 40 feet). Practically disposable.
    Brian