whuddayu do w/ these?

i let this go
28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
BIG WAHOO
checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aj2.jpg 91.3K

Replies

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,239 Officer
    Lucky day for the reef donkey! Nice catch.
  • reeladventuresreeladventures Posts: 304 Officer
    I always release em
    2015 Hewes Redfisher18
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Release unless someone on the boat wants it. They usually smoke it or make fish dip. Fun to hook up with, especially a newbie:wink
    Capt Bill
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    Let someone else reel them up ;)
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Grill 'em :)
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Got TA Go wrote: »
    Grill 'em :)

Yep , and call a chiropractor !!! Nice fish I would take a AJ to the grill over a cobia , just remove tail @ the worms
    Let someone else reel them up ;)

THAT TOO !!
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
    BD27 wrote: »
    Yep , and call a chiropractor !!! Nice fish I would take a AJ to the grill over a cobia , just remove tail @ the worms

No
    Don't get me wrong . I love smaller legal Cobia. The big ones have a stronger taste to me. And I am very paticular to remove all the red meat , and keep them very cold. Do I need to soak them in something ? I am open to sugestions
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,166 Captain
    thanks!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    BIG WAHOO
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Smoked AJ is excellent! And fun to catch, once in a while! Too strong for other prep methods, although some on here will argue the point. Why would you eat trash fish when you can catch all the snapper, dolphin, etc you can eat in the Keys?
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Don't get me wrong . I love smaller legal Cobia. The big ones have a stronger taste to me. And I am very paticular to remove all the red meat , and keep them very cold. Do I need to soak them in something ? I am open to sugestions

Nothing. IMO, you were right in your first post, although I would never keep an AJ of that size. The smaller ones, like about 10 lbs., are less hassle and also less likely to have ciguatera in them. But I would take any of the jacks, except a crevalle, on the grill, over a cobia. IMO they DO have a stronger flavor.

For me, that includes the yellow jack, bar jack and permit (under 15 lbs.). The latter is the best. I have never eaten an almaco or a black jack.
    The best smoked fish I have ever had in all my life, was AJ....brined in salt and brown sugar I think.
    .......Rick
  • DodgemanDodgeman Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Blackened.
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    Nothing. IMO, you were right in your first post, although I would never keep an AJ of that size. The smaller ones, like about 10 lbs., are less hassle and also less likely to have ciguatera in them. But I would take any of the jacks, except a crevalle, on the grill, over a cobia. IMO they DO have a stronger flavor.

For me, that includes the yellow jack, bar jack and permit (under 15 lbs.). The latter is the best. I have never eaten an almaco or a black jack.

The best smoked fish I have ever had in all my life, was AJ....brined in salt and brown sugar I think.

My neighbor brought home some nice Almaco's that he caught chunking on weeds for dolphin, I did not eat any , he said they had a very white meat and were delicious. He only eats fried fish.

???? I new to this computer thing **** is IMO , I can't figure it out. Go ahead and laugh
    Dodgeman wrote: »
    Blackened.

they're good like that to, but not to sure I would eat one the size in the pic
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,123 AG
    ???? I new to this computer thing **** is IMO , I can't figure it out. Go ahead and laugh

At least you know what "****" means!

IMO means "In my opinion". IMHO means "In my humble opinion" and you'll see that as well.

Having said that....... IMHO, almaco jacks make fantastic sashimi! I found that out over in Bimini a few years ago. Bleed them, ice them, slice them and enjoy!

As far as fish_stix asking above about 'why' someone would eat a 'trash fish' with yellowtails and dolphin around,.....for me, I enjoy a wide variety of fish to eat. On a recent trip, I caught, brought home and ate (and will eat): yellowtail, grunts, porgy, rock hind, mutton snapper and hogfish. Six edible species on one trip!!

IMG_4230_zps4111ce93.jpg

IMG_4245_zps24c47928.jpg
    Tell you what Gary (AND fish_stix)......if there's barjack, yellow jack or permit on the grill, then the yellowtail and dolphin become the "trash fish,"......at least for me.
    .......Rick
    Tell you what Gary (AND fish_stix)......if there's barjack, yellow jack or permit on the grill, then the yellowtail and dolphin become the "trash fish,"......at least for me.

On the trip before the one (above) where I caught SIX nice kinds of fish to eat, I enjoyed fighting and catching a nice yellow jack...... mixed in with some yellowtails. He was a blast to catch on the light weight/yellowtail rod!

And he fried up very nice, next to the yellowtails that night!

IMG_4209_zpsc08047a2.jpg

When it comes to 'meat", I enjoy eating lamb, pork, beef, chicken, duck, deer, buffalo and I enjoy eating 'meat' and 'seafood' at Thai, Indian, American, Vietnamese, British, Italian, Greek, etc restaurants! Variety!!!!! Yummmyyy!
  • Last_DollarLast_Dollar Posts: 113 Officer
    Endless amounts of fish dip
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,322 Officer
    Gary M wrote: »

Six edible species on one trip!!

IMG_4230_zps4111ce93.jpg

I see 2 fish and several pieces of bait.:grin

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
    Endless amounts of fish dip

That's about it, right there...
    I see 2 fish and several pieces of bait. :grin

Well, you and I would never fight over who gets to keep what, during a fishing trip! Except for their size, I would rather eat the grunts and the porgy. My favorite would be one of those big white margates, of about 6-7 lbs. But unfortunately, Gary didn't tie into one of them on his trip. I wish they congregated in an area so that they could be targeted.

Muttons are OK too. One that size would be good stuffed with shrimp and crabmeat and then roasted in a basket on the grill. No aluminum foil. Then serve drizzled with garlic butter.

Seriously.....you can have the yellowtail. That would be my least favorite of all those fish. Too soft and mushy for me.
    .......Rick
    My favorite would be one of those big white margates, of about 6-7 lbs.

On my last Capt Yuri trip last July, the other 5 guys on my crew all know my wife and how much she enjoys grunts, so we kept a bunch of the bigger ones as well as a big Margate that one guy caught.......

They were nice enough to set aside two special bag of fillets after the trip!

001_zps7309be85.jpg
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,508 Moderator
    Well, you and I would never fight over who gets to keep what, during a fishing trip! Except for their size, I would rather eat the grunts and the porgy. My favorite would be one of those big white margates, of about 6-7 lbs. But unfortunately, Gary didn't tie into one of them on his trip. I wish they congregated in an area so that they could be targeted.

Muttons are OK too. One that size would be good stuffed with shrimp and crabmeat and then roasted in a basket on the grill. No aluminum foil. Then serve drizzled with garlic butter.

Seriously.....you can have the yellowtail. That would be my least favorite of all those fish. Too soft and mushy for me.

This ^^ + yellowjack.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,166 Captain
    yum
    BIG WAHOO
  • Sunny@hi-CHEW[email protected] Posts: 113 Officer
    Gary M wrote: »
    On the trip before the one (above) where I caught SIX nice kinds of fish to eat, I enjoyed fighting and catching a nice yellow jack...... mixed in with some yellowtails. He was a blast to catch on the light weight/yellowtail rod!

And he fried up very nice, next to the yellowtails that night!

IMG_4209_zpsc08047a2.jpg

When it comes to 'meat", I enjoy eating lamb, pork, beef, chicken, duck, deer, buffalo and I enjoy eating 'meat' and 'seafood' at Thai, Indian, American, Vietnamese, British, Italian, Greek, etc restaurants! Variety!!!!! Yummmyyy!

I love meat too but…….Aren't Indians vegetarian? LOL.

My brother came down and caught a margate that was at least 13lbs off the Wilkes (a little to late to look up records after you put the knife to them) It was very good. As far as the grunts go , they run small down here. In the big bend area they can go 2 plus pounds and they are good. The yellowtail I like. To me muttons are soft (one of my favorite fish to catch) and Lanes are way to **** soft. I have a spot that I can catch Lanes to 16 inches, but I don't fish it anymore , cause I don't like 'em. What am I doing wrong with the Muttons and Lanes ?
    How are you cooking them? Just deep fried? That technique tends to seal in moisture. Try soaking your skinned fillets in salted water in the fridge for an hour or so. This will draw out excess liquid from them, some of which, probably got there when you first rinsed them in fresh water. I also fry in a frying pan, with a butter/oil combination and this allows some steam to escape from the part of the fillets that are not submerged. Trying this, try to "overcook" really small and thin fillets just a tad. The crispy crust will also add texture and substance to your mouth. For me, those tiny fillets are more like finger food and I eat them like potato chips.

Muttons also, are a little soft in the smaller sizes. Hence the stuffing and baking, to give added textures to the dish. Fish from about 8-9 lbs. and up, should be firmer. JMHO
    .......Rick
    Since grunts run 'skinnier' than snappers, I only keep the bigger grunts of 11-12 inches or so....... unless fishing is slow that day. Then, I may keep a few 10 inchers if I catch them.

There is a TV show on down in the Keys called Spear Divers and those guys love to shoot and eat yellow jacks and that's what got me to keep and eat the one in the photo above. Nice, firm meat and I slice off all the bloodlines.

I fry my fish using one egg and a small can of evaporated milk to rinse the fillets in before the flour/fry mixture. A Bahamian lady told me that was her secret and I've used that ever since. We use an electric skillet since we can dial in the temp much more accurately than the knobs on the cooktop/stove. Right at 375 and when the oil starts to 'quiver' I know that it's hot. I then only put in a few fillets at a time so that I don't dump the temp of the oil right off. That's how people end up with soggy fried fish...... the oil is not hot enough. I prefer a thin crust so I never use bread crumbs or Panko bread crumbs.

I just got back from 2 weeks in England. I wanted to order 'skate' for dinner one night at a seaside pub but they were out so I had a delicious chunk of Cod as my fish 'n chips. I'll be posting a trip report about our recent weekend at Portsmouth, England in the Tropical Section this week with plenty of boat, nautical, fish, warships, etc photos. Wish that I had eaten more of their seafood!
    How are you cooking them? Just deep fried? That technique tends to seal in moisture. Try soaking your skinned fillets in salted water in the fridge for an hour or so. This will draw out excess liquid from them, some of which, probably got there when you first rinsed them in fresh water. I also fry in a frying pan, with a butter/oil combination and this allows some steam to escape from the part of the fillets that are not submerged. Trying this, try to "overcook" really small and thin fillets just a tad. The crispy crust will also add texture and substance to your mouth. For me, those tiny fillets are more like finger food and I eat them like potato chips.

Muttons also, are a little soft in the smaller sizes. Hence the stuffing and baking, to give added textures to the dish. Fish from about 8-9 lbs. and up, should be firmer. JMHO

I only deep fry fish when I'm doing tacos. Usually blackened , grilled , baked, or pan fried. I'll try to soak them in salt water as suggested. Fresh water does not touch my fish. Thanks for the tip