Home Egret Boats

Egret bow is a great ice breaker

91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
I thought I would share a story of how the Egret owners outside Florida live this time of year. Stuck up here in NC with cabin fever, I decided to head down to the headwaters of the Albemarle Sound and try for a few stripers. This is a wintering area for the fish that are caught on the famous spring spawning run at Roanoke Rapids. Huge numbers of 2 to 8 pound fish.

I met up with my buddy Richard Andrews of Tar Pam Guide service. He really has these fish dialed in, fishing them several times a week with his charters. We checked several launch ramps and every one of them were completely iced in. We picked the one with the thinnest ice and started breaking ice for 3/4 of a mile out of the creek to the main river channel which had no ice due to the current. I was really nervous that I was tearing the hull to shreds pushing through the 1/4 to 1/2 inch ice sheet but I can't find any damage. That sharp bow entry seemed to really break it up pretty easy. I'm really mad I didn't get pictures of the bird pushing through the ice but I was pretty focused on navigating through this stuff. I will say this, trying to turn in the ice was really hard. The ice running down the sides keeps the stern from turning. You have to juice the boat and it leans and the chine gets up on top of the ice sheet and breaks it.

The main river channel was 38 degrees and I wasn't optimistic anything would eat in water that cold. The first spot we stopped on we caught over 30. I was stunned. Once that spot slowed down, we looked around and only picked up a few stragglers. Then towards the end of the day we hit up the original spot and caught at least 20 more. I still can't believe they ate like that in water that cold.

This area is only 45 minutes to an hour from the Egret factory. If anybody wants to combine a little fishing with a factory visit, the fishing can be outstanding. Later in the summer there are giant redfish in the sounds that rivals Venice, LA

Replies