Advice on external flash for Canon

mike_smike_s Posts: 411 Deckhand
Hi

Been thinking about getting an external flash for my Canon 7d. Anyone have any feedback on the Canon Speedlite 580EX or the 430EX? Pros or Cons of either model? Are there others I should consider?

Thanks

Mike

Replies

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Mike....

the 580 would be the way to go if $$$ is not an issue....
    but you might consider how often you really use a flash in making a decision...
    i rarely use a flash as i'm a natural light guy and have some gear to use natural light for the most part...

the 480 is a good light and may be sufficient for what you're shooting which is what you didn't state....

I have a good sunpack that i use, which is almost never and was 25% cheaper than the 580...
    but that's just me....

by the way, a powerful flash can be quite handy shooting wild life fairly close when using a low iso to stop action...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 411 Deckhand
    Tim thanks for the input. That's exactly the debate I have been having..... how often will i really use it. I shoot mostly cars (indoor/outdoor) and car interiors. But have been doing more outdoor stuff (flowers and creatures) lately.
  • bmarkeybmarkey Posts: 319 Deckhand
    Unless you need lots of light to shoot sports, the 580 is overkill. It's a nice unit, but the smaller one should be fine.

Get ready to learn about the lay with flash exposure compensation because the Canon flash system can be very frustrating. I am considering going back to the old but true Vivitar and getting away from the flawed Canon ETTL system (at least on older Canon DSLRs).

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Sport, Event & Real Estate Photography
    Palms West Photo
    www.MarkeySportsPhoto.com