Reef fishing Tavernier (tails and baby muttons)

Change of plans early yesterday morning had us fish in tavernier instead of our usual Upper Key largo area. We headed out a little late because of the complication and change of plans (trailler malfunction at 6am). We ran out to around 65 feet of water found some decent bottom and started chumming. We worked hard for the YT's. The needlefish and triggers werent letting us get our baits back to them. Spent a couple hours picking off 11 YT's and then decided to move in and try and get some Mangrove Snapper on shallow patch reefs. Had no luck with the Mangroves but did manage to catch 2 baby muttons. This was my first ever mutton. Even though it was small I was still as excited as a little kid on christmas day. With all the complications we had early on we still mananged to get some decent tails that made for good eating. I been craving some YT civeche.

Total tally : 11 YT's, 2 Muttons, 2 Jack, Countless needlefish :huh

Drive down Card sound
sunrisehook_zps470e7f23.jpg
DSCF1643_zps0965e02d.jpg

Baby Mutton
mutton_zpscec7459e.jpg

fishtable_zps09119f3c.jpg
3amigosedit_zpsb47d816f.png

Civeche (my first attempt at makin it myself)
15788CEA-F5AF-4144-8179-449665598689_zpsepm3oeax.jpg

Replies

• badonskybuccaneersbadonskybuccaneers Posts: 123 Officer
    Nice bunch of fish! Nuttin like some Mutton. Not bad looking civeche either...
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 602 Officer
    That civeche looks awesome! I have made it a few times but the recipe I use never taste as good as the restaurants.....any recommended recipes you guys use would be appreciated. At any rate nice day fishing, congrats.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Nicely done! Good eats right there!
  • wonderboywonderboy Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Good job on first Mutton......I'm sorry, but I'm not in the photo? Congrats again....
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 837 Officer
    AMPED wrote: »
    That civeche looks awesome! I have made it a few times but the recipe I use never taste as good as the restaurants.....any recommended recipes you guys use would be appreciated. At any rate nice day fishing, congrats.

i just used lime, red pepper, green pepper, salt & pepper, cilantro, and purple onion.
    wonderboy wrote: »
    Good job on first Mutton......I'm sorry, but I'm not in the photo? Congrats again....

Lol Thanks JR, time to go find the momma now. Really get me a Mutton
  • wonderboywonderboy Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Don't worry, I'm taking you down to Muttonville soon..........
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Nice fish, and report. Thanks for sharing. I haven't had a chance to get out and chase the muttons YET, but it will happen this coming week/weekend. There are options abound with all the patches to choose from. I managed to catch some nice ones last year in 15 ft of water and less.
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 837 Officer
    wonderboy wrote: »

Cant wait
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,127 AG
    Your two jacks would have made some pretty good ceviche. It's firmer that the Yts and if you trim/cut off all the bloodline, it will whiten up nicely..... Nice report..... thanks!
  • wonderboy wrote: »

?