1-25-14 As They Say-Frustratingly Fun Fishing Hawks Channel BPK

We did not leave the dock until almost 11AM. Brought some live shrimp and several frozen baits and made our way offshore southwest to a few of our spots. First drop in about 25 feet yielded nothing but porgies and grunts over 40 minutes or so. No current to speak of whatsoever so the flat lines were really a no go, strictly bottom fishing. Moved around to a few other spots and all we could seem to catch are more grunts and porgies, ugh! Finally at maybe 2 PM or my wife catches a decent lane snapper and we are happy to say the least, nothing huge but hey, whatever. I then catch our first 12 inch mango snapper, yay! Unfortunately nothing else but small yt snapper and a ton of grunts. Finally end up at one of our best spots and proceed to pull in, yeah, you guessed it, more grunts, porgies, small yt snapper and naturally several speckled hind and 2 keeper red grouper (22 inches and fat). Of course they were returned to the sea. We thankfully scored a few more mangos but this was definitely one of our tougher days in a long time. Still, we had an enjoyable but chilly day as we rode in the boat, really not too bad once anchored up.

Initially I was going to bring some dive gear but the water was just over 70 degrees and am glad I did not, too chilly for me but I missed trying for some bugs and hogs on the way in. Enjoy the pics and we hope to get to some even deeper water tomorrow.

Replies

• AMPEDAMPED Posts: 603 Officer
    Not a bad day considering the late start, congrats!
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • SpeadCrasherSpeadCrasher Posts: 121 Officer
    Looks like a couple of nice samiches to me! Let us know how you do in the deeper water.
    Amped...Hows the fishing up in your neck of the woods on Skaneateles? We've been killing the perch on the south end of Seneca for the last six weeks. 50 count limit of 12 to 16 inches in 90 mins on the jig. Its been insain over here this year.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Nice job on the mangs. Surface water temp. outside the reef for me was 72 F. Found some warm water on the satellite that produced late on Saturday, not much current. Good to see your post!
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Patrick you and Nancy sure have the life keep up the good times. When you are back this way let me know.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Nice dinner catchin! :beer
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,325 Captain
    yum. nice lane!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaptBillCaptBill Posts: 271 Officer
    Hard work but nice fish. Way to be patient.:beer
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,673 Moderator
    Makings of a nice fish fry right there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
    Sounds fishy.........keep it wet :)
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • Gulf2Back2FrontGulf2Back2Front Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Good going, you can't do much better with no current and a late start. Back country is where I've been doing good, lately. Plenty of Mangroves and Spanish Mackerel. I'm not on the radio much, there is no point back there. Let us know when your down again.
    Captain Mike Theut
    30926 Edward Road
    Big Pine Key, Florida 33043
    www.LowerKeysAdventureCharters.com :fishing
    Private / Custom - Family and Small Group Charters
    Offshore, Back Country and Gulf Fishing / Eco Tours / Snorkel Trips
  • JaxMakoJaxMako Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Nice Day!!!
    Owner: www.GreatSouthernTire.com
    For all your Commercial Truck Tire Needs. 24/7 Road Service (904) 389-7233
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,001 Captain
    Good going, you can't do much better with no current and a late start. Back country is where I've been doing good, lately. Plenty of Mangroves and Spanish Mackerel. I'm not on the radio much, there is no point back there. Let us know when your down again.

Captain Mike, good job out there! Hopefully down again next week or the week after. I will post once we are on the go. Always looking forward to being back in BPK!