Dry Tortugas

I am interested in fishing there this summer on a charter. Any suggestions?

Replies

• james.neuenjames.neuen Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Yankee Capts on this site I believe has a couple trip types. Check out http://www.yankeecapts.com/
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    Yankee Capt, Capt Yuri or Capt Shane from Two fish Charters are great for over night trips. Always a great time with all three. I have never fished with the Delphs but have heard from others that they run a great single day trip to the Tugas if that is what you were after.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,935 Moderator
    Rob Hammer.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 544 Officer
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    the Delphs

They have an interesting technique for catching trophy size Black grouper on "under tackle" . yes "like bringing a knife to a gun fight" and actually have a high catch ratio even on 15 lb. tackle, where Blackie doesn't even know what hit 'em.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    Hoogan wrote: »
    They have an interesting technique for catching trophy size Black grouper on "under tackle" . yes "like bringing a knife to a gun fight" and actually have a high catch ratio even on 15 lb. tackle, where Blackie doesn't even know what hit 'em.

I'd like other more about that. I have also heard they deep drop with incredibly light tackle too.
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    I'd like other more about that. I have also heard they deep drop with incredibly light tackle too.

Me also!

http://delphfishingcharters.com/our-charter-fishing-boats/index.html
    Capt Bill
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 544 Officer
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    Me also!

While fishing with light tackle the Delph noticed that under light drag preassure large black grouper did not tend to dig in and run for cover, the fish just ran until they got tired, I would imagine Delph's try this tactic in more favorable bottom where there's less structure, but never the less, they've been very successful at landing many large Blacks in this way. At first I was amazed on how large blacks act when they don't feel " threatened " by light resistance and by the time the fish notice it, they have a gaff on they're back.