Is this a snake head ?

Caught in at oleta state park in Miami

Replies

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    Lizard fish. super white meat and great for tipping bucktails.
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 174 Deckhand
    Thanks splitshot
  • closcabcloscab Posts: 122 Officer
    Catch them all the time in Biscayne Bay are they good bait? And for what?
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    closcab wrote: »
    Catch them all the time in Biscayne Bay are they good bait? And for what?

Snook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    In the heat of summer I've used live lizards to catch big tarpon (but that time of year the fish are so hungry they'll eat fresh cut pieces of jack crevalle...). I've also cut up more than one big trout and found a whole big lizard fish in it's stomach.... Mostly, though, in the 'Glades I take a lizard fish as an indicator that I'm fishing in the wrong place (specifically that the water is too cold...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 521 Officer
    I posted a thread on my first lizardfish a few weeks ago. Thats a fuggly lizardfish. Not just a regular one, but a fuggly one.
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Lizard fish make great fresh cut bottom bait as well, snapper/grunt etc.

Whenever I catch them, it's usually on the vertical jig while fishing for snapper. Also, it is typically a sign that I'm far to shallow.

Funny story....Lizard fish have a ridiculous appetite, if you ever cut one up you'll know. In fact we've caught the same one on a drift 3 times! Finally, he became bait! Anyway, I was trolling a smallish goggle eye (5-6 inces) behind my kayak as I always do, and it was getting late in the day so I decided to head in. When I got close to the beach, there was about a 10 inch lizardfish with the gog stuck in his throat. He was so small, that he didn't peel any drag and I just continued to troll him. Literally, the gog was nearly half his size.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • closcabcloscab Posts: 122 Officer
    Snook
    Live or cut?