Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rental vehicles.

Why is it that reserving a rental vehicle has to be the nuisance it always is ?
Having had all the experiences of the commission inspired rental clerk at the airport convincing me I need extra insurances, or the wisdom of a good value upgrade (never as "good" as if you had hired that model online in the first instance), I always make sure I buy the "full" package.
Which I did when making this last booking.

As its another rainy day here and I can't get out anywhere, I started reading the Terms and Conditions on the emailed Rental Agreement.
I have all the insurance I am legally required to have.
However, on closer study, I find that damage to the windows, underside or roof of the vehicle, or tyre damage, is not covered.
How can that be on a fully comprehensive insurance ?

I have been in email contact with Dollar and they say that if I have an accident and damage the sides only, I am covered.
If I have an accident and damage the sides, windows, roof and/or underside of the vehicle , I am covered.
However, if only the windows, roof, or underside is damaged, I am not covered.
Likewise with the tyres, if they go in the mega crash, no problem, but in isolation, not covered.

Of course I can take out extra insurance to cover these risky areas...what a surprise.

Replies

• IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,890 Captain
    Cranfield wrote: »
    Why is it that reserving a rental vehicle has to be the nuisance it always is ?
    Having had all the experiences of the commission inspired rental clerk at the airport convincing me I need extra insurances, or the wisdom of a good value upgrade (never as "good" as if you had hired that model online in the first instance), I always make sure I buy the "full" package.
    Which I did when making this last booking.

As its another rainy day here and I can't get out anywhere, I started reading the Terms and Conditions on the emailed Rental Agreement.
    I have all the insurance I am legally required to have.
    However, on closer study, I find that damage to the windows, underside or roof of the vehicle, or tyre damage, is not covered.
    How can that be on a fully comprehensive insurance ?

I have been in email contact with Dollar and they say that if I have an accident and damage the sides only, I am covered.
    If I have an accident and damage the sides, windows, roof and/or underside of the vehicle , I am covered.
    However, if only the windows, roof, or underside is damaged, I am not covered.
    Likewise with the tyres, if they go in the mega crash, no problem, but in isolation, not covered.

Of course I can take out extra insurance to cover these risky areas...what a surprise.

A sledge hammer is cheaper than their extra insurance. Just saying.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,513 Captain
    It transpires that the roof exclusion relates to damage caused by renters putting on their own roof racks and/or overloading them.
    The underside issue relates to renters who "willfully or irresponsibly" drive vehicles in an inappropriate manner over speed bumps/ramps, or off road, etc.
    If either area was damaged "accidentally" the exclusion would not apply (allegedly).

This is not something exclusive to one particular Rental company, I have compared the eight biggest (we have had a lot of rain lately) and they are almost identical with these conditions.

I will take out the legally required cover, use one of my many aliases and claim diplomatic immunity if the proverbial hits the fan.
    Being a friend of the Queen must count for something.:)
  • alligatoroballigatorob Posts: 197 Officer
    I travel a lot in my job, and have rented cars hundreds of times over the years. I always refuse all the extras, insurance etc. That is where the rental agencies make their real profit.

I have had a few minor scrapes and dings, most the rental companies did not try to charge me for. The only time that happened was some damage done overnight in a motel parking lot when I was sleeping. But it was mostly covered by my personal insurance company.

You should call your insurance agent and check but you probably carry the same coverage on a rental car as you pay for on your personal car without paying for anything extra.
    You should call your insurance agent and check but you probably carry the same coverage on a rental car as you pay for on your personal car without paying for anything extra.

You are right, I do if I hire a car in the UK, or Europe, but unfortunately it doesn't extend to the US.
    I am going with the "no extras" option and drive like I stole it.:)
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    Another area to consider, are you covered for their losses while the car is out of commission for repairs?

This is what most people don't think about and can be big money.
    It sounds like it could be cheaper for me to buy a used car.:huh

I am relying on the fact that I have hired cars in the US over the last 25 years, for a total period in excess of 18 months.
    During that time I have had one speeding ticket and no other automobile related problems.
    Fingers crossed seems to be the best insurance I can get.:)