1-20-2013 Some MLK tile fish

Hey Guys,

Went out with a work buddy and did some tile fishing. It was nice getting him out there. It's been over a year since the last time both of our schedules worked. Spent most of the time working on the bluelines. Also made a couple of drifts over a couple wrecks with the jig. Brought home 8 tiles up to 19" and one small almaco. Good thing- the freezer was almost empty! It was a beautiful day on the water, for sure!

My fingers were freezing so much in this shot, they were burning! The ice slush kept them so cold.

Joe with a couple of the day's catch...
Catch 'em up!

Nick

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,768 Captain
    Nice catch you did the right thing deep dropping
    it was slow Sunday live baiting only a 27 in
    african pompano in the box.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    that'll work!
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    nice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Nice, decent size on the tiles. We caught some very good vermillions, a 20" mutton, almaco and a few tiles that day as well
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    Nick,
    what is your tile fishing setup? I want to try this, but trying to avoid spending a ton of money on a electric reel / rod
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Hey Gary,

I was in the same boat as you about 2 years ago. I started by doing a bunch of research on the web & forum. Once I thought I had the basic idea of what to look for and what to drop down to them, we gave it a try. I went very affordable on my DD set up. I started doing it old skewl by hand cranking my TLD 30 (2speed helps) on a heavy Capt Choice trolling rod. It's a lot of work, especially when the current is honking and you gotta use more than 5lbs to hold the bottom. When hand cranking, I never dropped deeper than 500ft. That worked OK but got very tiresome, limited what species we could go for (depth) and also limited the number of drops we made due to the time it took to get the rig back up to reset and the amount of energy you burned doing it. However, we enjoyed some success and deep water fish are very tasty and we knew this was something we would continue to do. So, I had my wife retrieve on a couple of drops. That got her on board for an electric reel pretty fast. Again, I went very affordable with a Fish Wench at approx. $300, matched to a Diawa 450. It's a workhorse of a reel that I bought used years ago but never used before. I've only used it once DD'ing and that was on this trip. I don't know if it was the reel or the Fish Winch, but I had issues hauling up 7lbs of lead. Again, I never used this reel which was purchased used. So it could be that I bought someone's junk. I hope to get out and test it again over the next couple of weeks. We've been re-doing the kitchen which has taken up my weekends for the last month or so.

As for rigs, I bought 1 DD rig from BPS. It had very large hooks intended more for the bigger goldens than bluelines and vermies. Of course, I didn't know this at first. We went out of PE and I lucked into a productive area and could see that I was getting hits but after multiple drifts, no hook ups. So I figured my hooks were too big and I tied a quick chicken rig using 100lb mono and down sized the circle hooks. On the next few drifts, I brought up snowies and vermies. From that point, WE were hooked! Definitely need the bigger rig out deeper chasing the goldens though. So, on top of the rig I have a strobe and at the bottom I use sash weights from BPS. I bought them in 2 & 5lb bars so I could add and subtract weights as needed from the current. Frozen squid for bait and a cooler full of ice and you are ready to pop your DD cherry.

Hope this helps you get started. Bring a good amount of patience when you head out there. You're looking for muddy bottom for the tiles but you may spend quite a bit of time looking rather than catching until you start building your list of productive numbers. DD'ers are very secretive about numbers that produce fish, so don't expect too much help there. Also, do yourself a favor and stay on top of the regs for state and federal waters. The season is somewhat fluid, based on the number of fish taken that year more so than the calendar. You don't want to get caught at the ramp with out of season fish. Every trip I go out on, I check both web sites to make sure I know what's open to keep.

Good luck and let us know what rig you went with and how you're doing!
    Catch 'em up!

Nick