Fish Finder for PA 12

redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
I was hoping some folks might give me advice for a decent fish finder for PA 12. I fish inshore and in the salt with dept no more than 20 and much often under 12.

I have a Elite 4 and would just maybe like something more maybe with #3D or side imaging?

I belive the Elite HDI is 700ish give or or take? Probably would prefer not to spend that much if possible?

Thank you for your time!

Replies

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,031 Officer
    Just get a cheapie if you don't want to spend much. What advantage are you excpecting to get with side imaging in shallow water?
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    Are you looking at true side imaging or DSI?

While I do use the DSI features of the HDS7, I still use regular sonar 90% of the time.
    I like the larger display on the 7 as well. I use split screen a good bit and it makes it easier to read both images.

But with that said, I think the Elite5 is an excellent choice of features and value for the kayak.

Cheers
    Drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Drew, thank you for your reply.

To be honest, I do not know the difference between side imaging and DSI. I am far from knowledgeable in this field.

Thanks
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Start looking if you're interested in the Elite 5 DSI. It's on clearance at some stores (I believe because HDI is replacing them). Cabela's had them for $319 but they went quickly.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    I fish all inshore, so really need no more than depth, temp and the ability to find changes in the bottom/structure...for years a Humminbird PiranhaMax 170 met my needs.

When I went with the Hobie PA12, I switched to the Lowrance Mark-4 FF/GPS due to the ease of installing on the Pro Angler (& a great price on sale).

Have had it for just over a year and it's doing what I need it to do......thumbs_up_smiley.gif