Best cleaner for yellowed smooth fishing gelcoat

Last_DollarLast_Dollar Posts: 113 Officer
My boat has not seen water in a long time, but even when it was taken out every week and cleaned I still had this problem. Well-water from my sprinkler system hits the boat, runs down the deck and into the hatch flanges and water gutters and streaks the bulkhead to a gross off-yellow, I have since fixed the sprinklers. I plan on drilling a couple holes in the hatch flanges so they drain, but need some advice on what to use to clean these areas once and for all so they're easy to stay on top of and keep clean. I also need something good to get all the greasy marks off the smooth finish from working on the boat after a long period of time because magic erasers and chlorox cleanup aren't working.

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Magic Erasers & Clorox are TERRIBLE for Gelcoat, but generally work when nothing else will... Good Luck...
    Have you tried 'The Works' Toilet Bowl Cleaner ? (~$1 bottle @ Dollar General, etc... Sometimes that works when nothing else will)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Last_DollarLast_Dollar Posts: 113 Officer
    I was thinking a type of bowl cleaner would need to be used, but kind of looking at it as a last resort because how abrasive and strong it can be. I might try an RV-specific bowl cleaner because they're mostly made of plastic so it has to be a little gentler than a standard cleaner for porcelain. I mean I really don't mind if I strip into the gelcoat just a little bit in the hatch flange areas because they're not seen as much as everywhere else I just want the yellowing gone. I've tried lemon juice mixed with baking soda and dawn dish soap as recommended by a friend and it didn't do anything anything.
    Also I thought I'd add I have tried Lime-away as well as CLR cleaner and while it did work a little bit I did not feel comfortable using it because while using it I had to really scrub it for long periods of time and that can't be good for the boat, not to mention it burnt the hell out of my skin
  • KillowattKillowatt Posts: 30 Deckhand
    CLR full strength in a spray bottle. If not good enough, a toilet bowl cleaner.

Simple green for everything else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  • KillowattKillowatt Posts: 30 Deckhand
    With clr just let it soak, keep spraying it on every half hr. Won't hurt anything, I've sprayed it on my cars with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another try. Any good wax to use after I do this and strip it down? For soap I always use Meguires car soap, I forget the name but it's pale-yellow.
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 508 Officer
    Star brite Instant Hull Cleaner should strip away the staining. Apply a coat of Premium Marine Polish with PTEF afterwards to seal the restored surface to keep it clean.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 216 Deckhand
    Use Davis-FSR cleaner found in any marine store. Made to get that yellow stain out. I have used it for yrs and it won't hurt the gel coat. Always use a good polish afterward cleaning.
    Star brite Instant Hull Cleaner is what we use on our boats. Leave the Tidy Bowl in the bathroom at home. It's a bit way too strong for gelcoat that you care about. On your idiot brother-in-law's boat? Go for it. On my boat? NFW. Just sayin'
    Use what makes you happy, Don't cry if it turns the boat yellower or eats up your skin.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,808 Captain
    polliwog wrote: »
    Use Davis-FSR cleaner found in any marine store. Made to get that yellow stain out. I have used it for yrs and it won't hurt the gel coat. Always use a good polish afterward cleaning.

FSR would have been my first choice for trying to remove those stains.
    FSR and a 99 cent paint brush.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    Magic Erasers & Clorox are TERRIBLE for Gelcoat, but generally work when nothing else will... Good Luck...
    Have you tried 'The Works' Toilet Bowl Cleaner ? (~$1 bottle @ Dollar General, etc... Sometimes that works when nothing else will)

most toilet bowl cleaners are bleach....or worse
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    Star brite Instant Hull Cleaner should strip away the staining. Apply a coat of Premium Marine Polish with PTEF afterwards to seal the restored surface to keep it clean.

yup, this will work.
    One thing to remember about any "rust stain" removers............

They don't perform as well if there is a natural wax, synthetic sealer or any of their carrying agents on the surface.

It's best to remove any of these type of residual products for best results prior to using your favorite "rust stain" remover.

Even something as simple as denatured alcohol can be helpful in removing these.
    Good point. Our Instant Hull Cleaner will remove any existing wax or polish, making it a good prep for the annual polishing task.

After the stains are gone, seal the now-clean surface with whatever wax or polish makes you happy to keep it clean. Waxes or polishes add shine, but the main reason to apply them is to create a barrier against stains and UV rays.
    Good point. Our Instant Hull Cleaner will remove any existing wax or polish, making it a good prep for the annual polishing task.

Sometimes I like natural detergents and chemical opposites over petroleum distillates.
    Use what makes you happy. Manufactured or Home Made.
    But it's sometime nice to know what you are using if only to be aware of possible adverse consequences.
    Use what makes you happy. Manufactured or Home Made.
    But it's sometime nice to know what you are using if only to be aware of possible adverse consequences.

Your product is fine for it's designed market.