Islamorada March 28th –April 2nd

Hello! I’m travelling to Islamorada March 28th –April 2nd with my girlfriend, staying at the Postcard Inn. I’m an experienced saltwater fly angler from NH and fly fish for Stripers, Blues, Bonito and False Albacore in my local waters. I fish out of my 22’ CC and fish Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard several times a year. I booked a guide out of Worldwide Sportsman for one day for back country and flats fishing. I work part time at the brand new Bass Pro Shops in Hooksett, NH, so I thought it would be good to meet and book a guide through World Wide Sportsman, then I can refer clients to him.

I’m considering renting a boat for one day as I’d like to try fly/spin fishing for Barracuda. Also, I’d like to fish for Grouper, Sea Trout and Snapper so I can take it to a restaurant to prepare for dinner. My girlfriend likes to fish so I thought she would have fun with the above species. What opportunities are there for do-it-yourself fishing? Am I wasting my time trying to do this in Islamorada? I figure renting a boat opens up the opportunities. Do boat rental shops let you go deep into Florida Bay? I’m not sure if I need to go that far, or should I be ocean side?

Any assistance or guidance is appreciated. As fellow anglers, we all know what it’s like travelling to a new fishing location and trying to scout and keep lines wet. In return, I would be happy to offer fishing assistance for Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and the north shore of Boston as well as a spot on my boat!

Thanks
Gary

Replies

• DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    I have just sent you a private message. You've got a great number of options there, and either way you go, rental, extra guided day, etc., you'll have fun.
    Bert