Jigging for Blackfins

I would like to try jigging for Black Fin Tuna but have no idea where to start as far as jigs go. Could some one give me a basic idea of jigs to use; size, shape, weight, color, etc. Any additional hints like line size, action to use, etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• gsweavergsweaver Posts: 847 Officer
    talk to jesse... victorylures.com (wellcraft on the forum).. he has awesome jigs and great prices
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • Captain EasyCaptain Easy Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Hi George, How have you been. You'll get different feedback on this, but I do a lot of jigging and usually go with about a 150 gram (5ounce) vertical jig. Some times as light as a 100 gram or as heavy as a 200 gram jig depending on the current. Really all different colors and styles seem to work, some better on different days. I like a very fast retrieve. A lot of guys go very heavy with their leaders jigging, but for black fin tuna I usually go with 50# leader and 50 pound braid on a high speed spinning reel like a daiwa saltist. Good luck!
    Capt. Bruce Andersen
    Captain Easy Charters
    34 Crusader
    http://www.captaineasycharters.com/
    Easy Does It Fishing Charters
    Conch 27
    https://easydoesitfishing.com/
    305-360-2120
    Smugglers Marine
    Islamorada Florida
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Started using titanium leaders on the jigging. It adds a little bit to the cost, but it works really well. We use 30 # power pro to the titanium. Does the job. Current dictates our jig size. Agree with Victory Lures.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    Action to use: if you see a school bustin the surface stay well off them and cast to them and retrieve with a fast and erratic, sub-surface retrieval. No need to get on top of them and spook them tying to drop a jig straight down.
    It 'usually' never fails when working a feeding school and some derelict sees you hooked up or the fish busting and comes speeding in right into the school of fish and sends them down.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,100 Officer
    I like the bass pro free style jigs. 5&7oz. They have 2 hooks and the google eye color seems to work well.