old wooden bridge?

Hey every one this is my first time posting but have been reading for a couple years i have only been to the keys once and i loved it but was overwelmed with the learning curve of the lower keys water we rented a boat and caught fish but where we were and the boat we were limited to where we could go. my question is this we have 8 in our party, my wife myself our 3 kids (youngest 16) and they each have a friend really like big pine key and really want to stay at old wooden bridge but would have to rent 2 units and for that cost i could rent a nice house with a pool but i really like the location of old wooden bridge with the bridge right there and good fishing very close by we are bringing our 19' trophy center console for fishing and are not picky on what we catch just want to bend a rod snappers,jacks,sharks,cudas,etc.etc. what would you do, could probably swing hiring a captain for our boat for a day.Thanks in advance p.s. the reason i am asking is the reviews on the cabins themselves at old wooden bridge are not that great however we are not real picky either.

Replies

• razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    You have many options. You could rent another or larger boat, charter a boat and captain and also look at VRBO for a rental house that will accommodate your entire party. Good luck and hope you have fun.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    finaddict2 wrote: »
    Hey every one this is my first time posting but have been reading for a couple years i have only been to the keys once and i loved it but was overwelmed with the learning curve of the lower keys water we rented a boat and caught fish but where we were and the boat we were limited to where we could go. my question is this we have 8 in our party, my wife myself our 3 kids (youngest 16) and they each have a friend really like big pine key and really want to stay at old wooden bridge but would have to rent 2 units and for that cost i could rent a nice house with a pool but i really like the location of old wooden bridge with the bridge right there and good fishing very close by we are bringing our 19' trophy center console for fishing and are not picky on what we catch just want to bend a rod snappers,jacks,sharks,cudas,etc.etc. what would you do, could probably swing hiring a captain for our boat for a day.Thanks in advance p.s. the reason i am asking is the reviews on the cabins themselves at old wooden bridge are not that great however we are not real picky either.
    If you like the location of OWB, check out rental houses in the "Doctors Arm" neighborhood of BPK...right around the corner.
  • kempsharkkempshark Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Agree with the other posters....check out VRBO for houses on BPK. I went to OWB for many years, but you are right and the prices don't compete with home rentals for a group that size if you're staying for a week. You don't mention what time of year you're going. In the summer you can catch "snapper, jacks, sharks, and cuda" all at Bahia Honda.....plus tarpon, possibly snook and multiple other fish. The reef and beyond is more than possible in a 19' on calm days. Then you can target grouper, yellowtail, mahi, etc.
    Nah.....I'll eat Hellmann's. :wink
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Welcome to the forum & Dr. Arm I think would suit you. Wish you well.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • finaddict2finaddict2 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    thank you guys for your quick response sorry kemp shark i did not mention we are coming early april it is my understanding that no name bridge was very good fishing with a deep channel to chum up anything and everything. what i was hoping to gain at old wooden bridge is the marina experience where i could network with other fisherman and maybe gather some knowledge from them and how to get around out back I just want somewhere i can quickly access ocean or gulf to stay out of the wind and not have to worry about tons of really shallow water.I am open to suggestions on any where in the lower keys but not all the way to key west.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    thank you guys for your quick response sorry kemp shark i did not mention we are coming early april it is my understanding that no name bridge was very good fishing with a deep channel to chum up anything and everything. what i was hoping to gain at old wooden bridge is the marina experience where i could network with other fisherman and maybe gather some knowledge from them and how to get around out back I just want somewhere i can quickly access ocean or gulf to stay out of the wind and not have to worry about tons of really shallow water.I am open to suggestions on any where in the lower keys but not all the way to key west.
    Thanks for more info...you may want to try Cudjoe or Summerland on the Kemp's Channel side (east Cudjoe/west Summerland) Even closer to deeper water than no name. Some houses there could be good for 8 people.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 973 Officer
    Well...first I'll say welcome to the forum. Lots of good stuff to learn here.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
    Welll... thankyou DogDoc for your ideas, I am checking those areas next.

TeamTeke...I apolagize for offending you with my grammar and puncuation,I will slow down in the future.
    However I am old school also and I don't know where you are from but where I am from respect is earned
    and given through actions not words. Thankyou
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,680 Captain
    i specialize in bareboat charters in your boat . i provide all bait, tackle, rods, reels and can take you around the lower keys. pm or call for more. a nice house rented on a CANAL might be your best option for a larger group like yours.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gulf2Back2FrontGulf2Back2Front Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Julie and the crew are nice folks, they keep a clean ship, rates are reasonable, and the location offers a quicker ride to back country area of Bullfrog Banks. I'd recommend them.
    Captain Mike Theut
    30926 Edward Road
    Big Pine Key, Florida 33043
    www.LowerKeysAdventureCharters.com :fishing
    Private / Custom - Family and Small Group Charters
    Offshore, Back Country and Gulf Fishing / Eco Tours / Snorkel Trips
  • Bill WelderBill Welder Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    TeamTeke...I apolagize for offending you with my grammar and puncuation,I will slow down in the future.
    However I am old school also and I don't know where you are from but where I am from respect is earned
    and given through actions not words. Thankyou

Well said and welcome to the new FS forum sir.
    www.CaptainBill.net
    Island Charters
    "Key West...Where the weird turn pro"
    Thank you all for your replies. I took your advice, did some searching, and booked a great house in the doctors arm. Piner_wahoo I probably will be giving you a call. Thanks every one and I will see you april 1. P.S. I am sure I will have more ?'s before then.