2014 Dolphin Cudjoe Key

Fished Monday 1/06/2014. It blew hard SE for a few days but was predicted to change to SW. Made a trip offshore with predicted winds light SW. We went looking for tuna. Seas were FLAT with a gentle breeze SE.
Just looking for birds we stumbled on a weedline that was clean on the north edge and ran for a couple miles on the edge of the Ups and Downs. 575' We were there at daylight and never saw another boat.
Only a fool would troll that deep this time of the year for dolphin.:wink
Gentle breeze changed to the E and the bite was over. We were back by 11AM.
Mark and I ended up with 8 dolphin to 24 pounds. All fish were caught on small artificials and feathers with no takers on larger stuff or ballyhoo.

markfl9.jpg

markfl5.jpg

markfl7.jpg

markfl6.jpg
www.CaptainBill.net
Island Charters
"Key West...Where the weird turn pro"

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,767 Captain
    Wow! The seas WERE flat!! Good report!
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Nice Job! :beer

I wanted to be out there, was stuck at the dock waiting for folks to arrive at the airport. They got delayed and ended up not getting here till 6:30.

I think I'm going to have a rule from now on... Either you're on the first flight in or the last. I can't sit here waiting for you to get in at 12:10.... Now that I think about it...no arrivals before 6:00pm...except Missy. :)

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Nice report & pics. Good job-thanks.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Thanks for the great fishing report, Bill. Glad y'all got out on a flat day and had success...from what I've been reading from up here everybody's been getting blown out lately.
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 660 Officer
    Very Nice. Nothing like those winter fins
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
  • CaptBillCaptBill Posts: 271 Officer
    Wow, very nice dolphin Bill on a beautiful weedline and great conditions. Thanks for posting
    Bill
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    Good catching Bill !
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com
  • Steel M anSteel M an Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Great fishin Bill. Been practicing on my bridge anchoring techniques. Be looking for you in May or June.
  • ExocetExocet Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Very nice catch, great job!
    Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 711 Officer
    Awesome
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 968 Officer
    That first picture must be Photoshopped. No place in the Keys has water that calm. BTW- nice fish.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.