Skip to main content
Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Panama City near shore flounder today, 1/5...

At least we weren't skunked on first trip of 2014.

We left late in an impromptu trip. Not terribly rough, but also not as sunny as I had expected. In my haste to get away from dock asap it was not until hitting the pass that I realized I was in shorts, flip flops and atee shirt. Was a bit chilly out there when wind would periodically freshen to 17 or so.

Every spot produced a fish or two, but it was slow. After only a couple hours with lines in the water most of the boat had had enough and I kept hearing mumbles about football this, cold that, etc. So prematurely, in my opinion, I reluctantly pointed her towards the house and headed that way. Looking back nit a bad call. Just now done with everything and it's 5 clock. An extra hour for another one or two fish would not have been worth it.

IMG_20140105_153836_zps48908e5f.jpg
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    Yum, crabstuffed flounder. When are we going Aj jigging?
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• tiger15tiger15 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    That's a nice mess of fish! Congrat's on a successful trip.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,139 Captain
    Good haul!! We have a fresh venison ham on the smoker as we speak (killed about 4:30 this afternoon) Want to swap & share?
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Nice catch! That one in the foreground is a real good size fish.

Must be nice to go fishing in shorts, t-shirt & flip flops this time of year. It was 7 degrees this morning in Nashville with a blanket of snow & ice on my back deck. High of 10 today & low of 1 tonight. Brrrrrrrrrr........... I'm ready to move to Florida!!!!

Livin' the Dream !
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,851 Moderator
    7 degrees is no bueno!

Supposed to get down to low 19 here tonight which is plenty cold enough for me!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Bull Minnows or ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Bull minnows.

Like I said, was a bit of a slow bite. We went SE and fished from 55 - 70' and it was tough. A few years ago a buddy of mine caught like 35 or 40 off to the west in February in 90' of water. Whole flounder things is new to me, but everybody I've talked to says that it's a 75' and under deal. Who knows. I do know this, some folks are a lot better at it than others. Conditions could have also been better yesterday for a controlled, comfortable and slow drift in my boat.
    I went a few weeks ago & hit some spots that held Flounder last winter & caught NADA (well 1 & I'm pretty sure I had 1 really nice 1 on briefly)... It's pretty new to me too...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    We did lose one real nice one at the boat, and another guy who was fishing a super long leader lost one. Both were circle hooks.

None were lost on J hooks if we let them eat after first tap and then gave it a hook set. My theory is that in cold weather it's kind of lazy bite. Angler feels it and starts winding that circle hook as though it's a grouper. In reality the bait / hook has not made it all the way in the flounder mouth, so there's no opportunity for that hook to grab the mouth on a steady wind. The fish that you fight is only fighting you because he's latched on, and then he lets go when he feels like it.

Anyway, I prefer an old cheap J hook.

Last night's dinner. Hit the spot!

IMG_20140105_192528_zps5cbbfea5.jpg

IMG_20140105_194020_zpse32b0c41.jpg

IMG_20140105_195149_zps32f86383.jpg

IMG_20140105_195312_zpsd8b1ff92.jpg
    Kahle Hooks are supposed to be THE hook for Flounder ???
    Yeah, I've heard that and I've caught some on them over near St. George during the summer on oyster bars when it's an aggressive bite. I guess the thought process behind them is that they are kind of a hybrid that can you can steady wind, or a little pop. I just know that in deep water I'd rather have a cheap No 1 eagle claw J hook and when I feel the first bit of resistance, feed it to him, and then set that hook.

Maybe I am an expert. ;-)

For the first year ever, I've caught flounder in semi-respectable numbers. Same year that has been my worst deer season in a decade! Maybe I should dedicate my fall / winter to flounder instead of hunting. Grrrr.....
    Go Auburn!
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Those turned out to be some good looking "eats"! Now I'm craving some fried fish.......been a while.

Livin' the Dream !
  • Chosen1Chosen1 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    We catch alot of flounder over here in N E Fl spring and fall but in the winter the fish move offshore and hold on wrecks we catch afew gulf flounder which you have shown but mostly we catch souther flounder. We cant really fish mud minnows or bull minnows what yall call them we have way to many small sea bass on
    every structure outside the jetties if you were anchored right on top of the fish they would but you have to move alot to find were the flounder are on each wreck. Over here we catch most of our flounder on cigar minnows , strip baits on jig heads , or buck tails tipped with a strip or minnow. Also over we dont really drift for them we normally have a little more current then you guys in the gulf so we anchor on different sides of the structure and fish in the sand around it casting away from the boat or up current and bouncing it back to the boat . On a good trip you can catch 30-40 fish with 3 lb average on the offshore fish with alot of fish being 5-7lbs or bigger sometimes
    Chosen1 wrote: »
    We catch alot of flounder over here in N E Fl spring and fall but in the winter the fish move offshore and hold on wrecks we catch afew gulf flounder which you have shown but mostly we catch souther flounder. We cant really fish mud minnows or bull minnows what yall call them we have way to many small sea bass on
    every structure outside the jetties if you were anchored right on top of the fish they would but you have to move alot to find were the flounder are on each wreck. Over here we catch most of our flounder on cigar minnows , strip baits on jig heads , or buck tails tipped with a strip or minnow. Also over we dont really drift for them we normally have a little more current then you guys in the gulf so we anchor on different sides of the structure and fish in the sand around it casting away from the boat or up current and bouncing it back to the boat . On a good trip you can catch 30-40 fish with 3 lb average on the offshore fish with alot of fish being 5-7lbs or bigger sometimes

Those are good numbers and good sized fish. There are folks here that do almost that well on a regular basis... I'm just not one of them.

The last two times I've gone there's been quite a bit of surface current due to 15+ knot winds. Both times we've needed to anchor, but you could forget about casting too far into the wind. We ended up casting across the wind, and the bow in the line from wave action would work the bait towards the back of the boat, then we'd bump baits along the bottom back to the boat. We also made sure one person kept a bait right beneath the boat. Reason being, I think fish will follow those bumped baits but not commit. As a result it is my theory that there are likely a handful right under the boat. Would make sense because we caught just as many straight down as we did working the baits across the bottom.

Mud Minnows VS Bull Minnows... if you want to get really technical with what we call what, the minnows I've been getting aren't true "bull minnows" by NW Florida terms. I call what we've been getting mud minnows as well.

A real "bull minnow".
    Striped_killifish,_male.jpg

Mud minnow
    GULF%20KILLIFISH.jpg

Both some sort of killifish, I believe. For all I know the striped more elongated (and IMO stronger wrigglers) are male and the others are female. One thing is for sure, the "Bull Minnows"... the striped ones with a catfish like head (flat and wide) are always caught together and I see them in clear salty water. The "Mud Minnows"... the pasty ones that are more mullet shaped, I see more in estuary environment and they're always caught together as well.
  • Chosen1Chosen1 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    What you guys call bull minnow we call them tiger minnows they are awesome spring time baits over here when the fish moving in are smaller they do work better then regular mud minnows
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Nice catch Pan.....jealous. Love me some fried flounder!