South Carolina Is Home To The World's Hottest Peppers And The Game Cocks

Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,339 Admiral
Carolina Reaper" Declared Hottest Pepper on Earth :devil

Carolina ReaperThere's a new record holder in the Guinness Book, and it's not for the faint of heart. The owner of PuckerButt Pepper Company, Ed Currie (a.k.a. Smokin' Ed), got the nod for his "Carolina Reaper," which is now officially the most powerful chili pepper known to man.

The Carolina Reaper blew away the former record holder, the Trinadad Moruga Scorpion, which measured 1.2 million Scoville units. Currie's breed of pepper brings a total punch of 1,569,300 Scoville units. According to the Associated Press, genetics play a role in the fiery factor, in addition to where the pepper is grown. Currie's were grown on his farm in South Carolina.

Described by the Associated Press as "bumpy, oily, fire-engine red fruit," the scorching hot pepper was tested by students at Winthrop University as part of their undergraduate studies. The hottest batch was given the code name HP22B, as in "Higher Power, Pot No. 22, Plant B." While the batched averaged just over 1.5 million Scoville Units, one individual pepper in the group measured just over 2.2 million.

According to the Guinness Book, "The Scoville Unit (SHU) scale is a method of quantifying a substance's 'spiciness,' through determining the concentration of the chemical compounds responsible for the sensation, which are named capsaicinoids."

Do you think you could handle the Carolina Reaper?
Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,690 AG
    There comes a point where its not enjoyable anymore
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,353 Admiral
    I like regular Loiusianna hot sauce. I don't like anything to hot.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,339 Admiral
    rock_fish wrote: »

Yea, about 500,000 Scoville is about as hot as I've eaten. And that was a couple of drops on a chip. After a few chips, I started to feel high.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    Yea, about 500,000 Scoville is about as hot as I've eaten. And that was a couple of drops on a chip. After a few chips, I started to feel high.

LOL. That must be the endorphin rush I hear people talk about. I'm usually in too much pain to notice it though.
    bullgator wrote: »
    LOL. That must be the endorphin rush I hear people talk about. I'm usually in too much pain to notice it though.

It was one of Dave's Insanity Sauces. One of his milder ones.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,137 AG
    rock_fish wrote: »

Really. What's the point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    It was one of Dave's Insanity Sauces. One of his milder ones.

Dave needs to be shot. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,690 AG
    Flash wrote: »
    Really. What's the point?

Between sweat and pain
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    Half the fun of having the HOT peppers is watching other people eat them thinking they can handle them.
    I have had ghost and Trinidad scorpion at my house. :cry
    If you like to grow your own peppers, here is a great place to buy your seeds. I've purchased from him several times. http://www.pepperjoe.com
    If you like to grow your own peppers, here is a great place to buy your seeds. I've purchased from him several times. http://www.pepperjoe.com

Another good one

http://www.totallytomato.com/dc.asp?c=36
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flash, thanks, I have it bookmarked.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,379 Moderator
    FROM WHAT I HEAR, THE CHOCOLATE BHUTLAH WILL QUICKLY AND EASILY DETHRONE THE CAROLINA REAPER.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    Fletch wrote: »
    FROM WHAT I HEAR, THE CHOCOLATE BHUTLAH WILL QUICKLY AND EASILY DETHRONE THE CAROLINA REAPER.

Now Captain Fletcher you grow a lot of hot peppers at home if I remember correctly, what type do you grow? Do you make your own hot sauce?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 26,179 AG
    Why would anyone want something that hot? I ate Thai peppers once and that was plenty hot for me and they only measure around 50,000.

Mini Mart Magnate

• PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    hot peppers make snot just flow out of my nostrils down over into my beard and then onto the front of my t shirt.

it never fails........
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
    Fletch wrote: »

I have one of the sinister pepper plants that you speak of

Mark Twain
    Popeye wrote: »
    hot peppers make snot just flow out of my nostrils down over into my beard and then onto the front of my t shirt.

it never fails........

If we ever meet, remind me not to serve you any hot peppers.
    If we ever meet, remind me not to serve you any hot peppers.

Ill have my own Im sure

Mark Twain
  • Afishy1Afishy1 Posts: 676 Officer
    I have 3 reapers growing now under fluorescent lights prepping for spring. Why grow em that hot? Mostly the novelty of it. I will try one or two, then make some sauces and dry some, powder some, cook with some. Just fun to grow.
  • Afishy1Afishy1 Posts: 676 Officer
    took almost a month just to sow the seeds.
  • mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 818 Officer
    Two pair of gloves an I still burned my eyes hours later after "cleaning" and drying these,Caribbean reds & Ghost peppers
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    cadman wrote: »
    Why would anyone want something that hot? I ate Thai peppers once and that was plenty hot for me and they only measure around 50,000.

What kind of device do you use to measure with?
    mrblugil, nice crop. Those just look HOT!
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 26,179 AG
    What kind of device do you use to measure with?

None, Thai peppers range from 50,000 up on the Scoville scale. I used the lower number. I just know I would not want to eat anything much hotter than those peppers.

Mini Mart Magnate