Home General Paddle Craft

Pine Island pineland kayak launch

Hello all!
I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice on
Pine island kayak fishing near Ft Myers.
I'm from illinois so more accustomed to fresh water fishing.
I've fished the lagoons down in Louisiana before and have had success
Chasing speckled trout and redfish.

I'm looking for advice on baits. Down in Louisiana I used mostly
Chartreuse Jigs with Berkeley gulp shrimps in chartreuse and purple with success.
I have some left over jigs and gulps. Are those successful down here too?
What other type of artificials would work?

Any advice on bait would be appreciated.

I plan on hitting up pine island on Thursday. What is the best tidal situation to fish? Being
a northern freshwater fisherman that also is a struggle for me to figure out.

Thank you all so much for any advice!

Replies

• pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    Alot of guys are having good success with the Z-Man paddler baits in white/pearl. They are a scented paddletail you fish on a jig head similiar to gulp.

I like to throw a bone colored spook jr in the am, then switch over to jigs, mirrolures and DOA shrimp in the afternoon.

good luck
  • Ol SargeOl Sarge Posts: 290 Deckhand
    I like the out going tides
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    Welcome.
    4 inch New Penny Gulp Shrimp seem to be very popular and successful here. I would also recommend the Mirrodine 17mr, and the Unfair Rip n slash in 4 inch they are real trout killers. There are plenty good spots to fish in the Fort Myers area. I have only fished the Sanibel Captiva area while on vacation so I really can't share a lot. I do know your in for a treat. Hopefully some of the west coasters will chime in.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • boblovesfishingboblovesfishing Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Check out the SouthWest Lorida Kayak Angler Association website ( www.swfkaa.com). These guys have a very active forum and can help you out, fishing that area. Members post when and where they're going fishing and you would be welcome to tag along.
  • Get in the boatGet in the boat Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks al!

I'm gonna hit up the island this afternoon as I had a late night and didn't get up for the out going tide.

Thanks for the advice and other forum.

Much appreciated.