Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

We have bears in Gulf Hammock too........

Went to fill a feeder, that I've had in GH for over ten years, last week and found it laying on the ground destroyed. I have about 150 pounds of concrete in the ground holding this thing up and it was uprooted and thrown to the ground. I thought maybe it got real wet and the hogs rooted it up but after checking my game camera I found the culprit.
"Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter

Replies

• Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Senior Member Posts: 1,074 Officer
    Enjoyed the photos. A couple of fisherman told me they saw a bear on the banks of Waccasassa a couple of months ago. Maybe it the same one.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Senior Member dockside or afloat...Posts: 1,913 Captain
    Lots of them in there. Tore up a few mo feeders too...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Senior Member Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I've hunted Levy county all my life and seen bear sign before, but in my whole life I've only seen 3 bears in the woods around Levy county. That wench on that feeder is about 4' off the ground so that gives you an idea of how big that bear is. What is odd is I have pictures of hogs and deer at that feeder about 2 minutes before and after the bear was there. I would think they would be real shy of a bear.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Senior Member Posts: 4,435 Captain
    Apparently bear are indigenous to Florida?

Looks like the basics of 'bear proof' feeder setup- just need more feeder container height and projection.
    Somewhere in the past I saw recommendations for minimum bottom of container height. Way up there- like about nine feet?

Here is the brand new motor from the last 'tripod' feeder I will ever erect.Seems the bears have a knack for MD;motor destruction. The motor compartment corn dust must smell delicious

Appropriate feeder design is among 'Living With Bears' protocol.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • gator4evergator4ever Senior Member MiamiPosts: 2,657 Captain
    You did everything right but the feeder was hanging too low.

We have at least 6 different bears that we have ID on our lease in Glades County. We definitely need a season and fast.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • sknight88sknight88 Senior Member Spring HillPosts: 323 Deckhand
    I have mine between two trees. Ive watched the bears climb the tree and shake the corn out! But they leave the feeder alone,so Im ok with it.Now my tripod feeder, ya, not so much lol
  • Ruff OneRuff One Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
    There's goes the neighborhood!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • magotmagot Senior Member Byron, GA.Posts: 6,638 Admiral
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    I have spent a lot of time stomping around in the woods in Florida and have never seen a black bear. They must be either few and far between or very wary.
  • AMobleyAMobley Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 202 Deckhand
    Any Haints out in them woods?
    AMobley wrote: »
    Any Haints out in them woods?

Are there any woods in florida that ain't full of haints?
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,490 AG
    Had a Panther right here in Rocky Hammock one time also. Many heard him, no one saw him though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Senior Member Ozello Fl.Posts: 13,083 AG
    Seen a few on camera on our lease at Otter Creek past 10 years and had the dogs run one..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    FR, just let one of the Fugates know that you have a black spike at your feeder.

Problem solved ezpz.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • PONCEPONCE Senior Member Big Bend FlaPosts: 5,946 Admiral
    Rodney that's a Big Bear, and there is more were she came from, in my journeys to the Wac I've seen just about everything from 6 foot Rattlesnakes crossing the road to Wild Hogs just begging me to go home from dinner but never a bear, I will keep my eyes peeled. Just East of hear towards the Oklawaha there have been a ton of Bear sightings, they are flourishing, nice post!!
  • GilmoreGilmore Senior Member Posts: 126 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Had a Panther right here in Rocky Hammock one time also. Many heard him, no one saw him though.

Flash, aka "panther tracker", I heard your "panther" several times. He sounded just like that Santa Gertrudas bull over in that pasture just north of poppadock`s place.
  • fatpossumfatpossum Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 195 Deckhand
    Gotta get it higher
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Senior Member Posts: 1,106 Officer
    That must be over by Williston or Bronson
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Senior Member Ponte Vedra (Palm Valley) & Cedar Key, FLPosts: 1,459 Officer
    Rod, for the first time in 3 years I’ve got a bear problem on a lease I have just south of Jacksonville and north of St Augustine. He’s ripped up my feeders 4 times now and I have finally gotten one of them high enough where he can’t bother it (the last feeder pictured). The other one is a large heavy ground feeder and I just can’t use it anymore (not the ground feeder pictured below).

PRMS0018-L.jpg

PICT0136-L.jpg

Brian
  • Oldfox1939Oldfox1939 Senior Member Citrus Hills FloridaPosts: 521 Officer
    He's got it figured out.
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,877 Moderator
    Wait till you walk up on it one morning before daylight. I **** near tripped over one a few years back.

They are on the move this year due to a bad acorn crop.
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    They are on the move this year due to a bad acorn crop.

Louie, we had a bumper crop of acorns this year..........
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    In the hammock???

We had zero in Flat Branch this year and very few south to Ozello.
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,490 AG
    Gilmore wrote: »
    Flash, aka "panther tracker", I heard your "panther" several times. He sounded just like that Santa Gertrudas bull over in that pasture just north of poppadock`s place.

Can't say I have ever heard that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Another reason they are there. None hardly in Steinhatchee.
    capt louie wrote: »
    Another reason they are there. None hardly in Steinhatchee.
    Flat Branch and the GHHC are pretty much one and the same, they are all part of Gulf Hammock which runs roughly from Inglis to 24. FR does hunt bout 5 or so miles west of me.
    We had some places where there were acorns last year that didn't produce this year and then we had places that they were falling like rain if the breeze blew at all.
    had places that they were falling like rain if the breeze blew at all.

One stand I have had a tree like that last year. Watched deer across the creek feed and when the acorns started hitting the palmetto fronds they crossed the creek and walked right under my stand to get to them. It never dropped this year.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Senior Member Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,849 Captain
    SHOOT IT ELIZABETH!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!