Home General Fishing

Best $250 Offshore Reel?

Been considering a modern offshore reel. Graduated from antique Penn Senator to Daiwa Sealine conventional star drag reels in the 80's & been mostly bottom fishing with them. Flat line, mostly with spinning gear while anchored, but seldom trolled much. Once around vicinity of reef to see what's what/size up drift & drop bait ASAP. Have always liked to Run & Gun, cruise past feeding fish, kill motor & drift/cast to them.

Lately been trolling more, primarily b/c of restrictions on bottom fish & availability of striking fish. Am interested in lever drag, high speed & maybe even 2 speed models, in 40-60 lb line class.

Like some Daiwa Saltist models. Tire of every maker claiming to be the best there is. Want to simplify shopping by setting $250 limit. Anything truly outstanding? Or is it Ford vs. Chevy all over again?

Best $250 Offshore Reel?

Replies

• TobiwanTobiwan Posts: 118 Officer
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Deckhand
    Shimano TLD 30 2 speed
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Yeah TLD's have always been the bang for the buck winner...

But, Avet has some really sweet reels which I believe may fit your criteria, and pull double duty as great bottom rigs too.
    http://www.avetreels.net/REELS.html
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
    Do not discount an aluminum frame USA made Penn 114HLW!
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Baja Special... Hands down... (Nice Troll)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    I am hearing some rave reviews about the new Release reels. 100 % made and machined here in the great U S of A.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman wrote: »
    I am hearing some rave reviews about the new Release reels. 100 % made and machined here in the great U S of A.
    Actually the Release is a great reel, but the OP doesn't really care... This 'Troll' is all about making his 'Point' to 'Penn' as per this thread... http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?139942-Penn-Senator-4-0-or-Daiwa-Sealine-400H
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Penn Squall makes the TLD's look like dinosaurs and I've been using TLD's since they were made in Japan. Mine collect dust now, replaced by Squall's and Avet LX and HXW's
  • TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    To really make the correct choice, a fairly specific line capacity should be selected, and line system preference also helps to know, such as favorite topshot length. Certainly the decision about single-speed or two-speed will make a difference in the cost equation as well.
    As mentioned the Penn Squall series offers a variety of size choices, along with single and two-speed version that fall into the specified price category.
    Well-known reel Guru Alan Tani notes that the Penn Squall is the "most advanced graphite lever drag on the market".
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/438418-so-steve-about-that-squall
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    Bobber wrote: »
    Penn Squall makes the TLD's look like dinosaurs and I've been using TLD's since they were made in Japan. Mine collect dust now, replaced by Squall's and Avet LX and HXW's

You're using the 2 - speed Squall ?
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I find the Avet's to be be sweet reels.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Despite Shimano's popularity & owning over a thousand reels, never had a Shimano. May've seen too many ruined Shimano's over the years? In this Shimano vs. Daiwa derby I prefer Daiwa.

Do not want any plastic reels. Don't like plastic pistols either. Still will not buy "the most advanced graphite" reel - "Well-known reel guru Alani Tani" can have them. He's the guy who's "notes" include; 'Daiwa drags are made of fiber board & Penn 113HN will never be revived'.
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I find the Avet's to be be sweet reels.

Sorry die hard Penn defenders, but there were already several $250 all metal, lever drag Avet's that I'd pick over the NARROW, plastic side-plate, star drag, "bling" lacking Baja Special "Hands down..." (Weak Defense).

If I'm not mistaken & websites are accurate, the BIG long range boat out of Loma Pt. carries Avet's?

Avet advertises "Proudly made in the USA" & "Designed, Machined & Assembled in the USA". What's not to like?

Of course these are only my objective amateur opinions, partly based on internet resources that might need work & not be updated. And I have no horse in the race, conflict of interest, ax to grind, damage to control, or product to move.

Just sincerely interested in acquiring the 'Best $250 Offshore Reel'.
    I've owned several small Avets & they EAT Bearings & I hated them... I love my 30Ws/50Ws/TRXs, but the little ~$150-$250 Avets SUCK- IMO... The Release SG is probably the best $250 Reel out there... (I agree the 113HN is 'overpriced', but since I've never paid >$150 for 1 it's the best ~$150 reel I've ever fished)
    Despite Shimano's popularity & owning over a thousand reels, never had a Shimano. May've seen too many ruined Shimano's over the years? In this Shimano vs. Daiwa derby I prefer Daiwa.

Do not want any plastic reels. Don't like plastic pistols either. Still will not buy "the most advanced graphite" reel - "Well-known reel guru Alani Tani" can have them. He's the guy who's "notes" include; 'Daiwa drags are made of fiber board & Penn 113HN will never be revived'.

Sorry die hard Penn defenders, but there were already several $250 all metal, lever drag Avet's that I'd pick over the NARROW, plastic side-plate, star drag, "bling" lacking Baja Special "Hands down..." (Weak Defense).

If I'm not mistaken & websites are accurate, the BIG long range boat out of Loma Pt. carries Avet's?

Avet advertises "Proudly made in the USA" & "Designed, Machined & Assembled in the USA". What's not to like?

Of course these are only my objective amateur opinions, partly based on internet resources that might need work & not be updated. And I have no horse in the race, conflict of interest, ax to grind, damage to control, or product to move.

Just sincerely interested in acquiring the 'Best $250 Offshore Reel'.

I'm not a huge fan of graphite reels either, but they make a lot of people happy.
    However, graphite allows "mid duty" lever drag reels with sufficient line capacity for typical offshore applications to come in at the price specified by this thread.
    Ditto star drags are usually only indicated as offshore trollers for extreme abuse situations.
    With metal frame reels, there are very few choices that adhere to the price restriction, in particular if a 2-speed may possibly be wanted.
    A specific line capacity requirement, along with drag range requirements, and "yes" or "no" on 2-speed is necessary to make choices.
    Don't be so harsh with Alan Tani, if the best you can find from someone who does so much work with reels is old quotes from 2008 about whether a company he is not part of will or will not do something, I'd say he is doing well.
    Penn Pro Staffer
    Alan Tani has probably forgotten more about conventional reels than anyone on this forum will ever know...
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Don't be so pedantic with your fishing tackle business generalizations. Alani Tani is all over the internet, where anyone can still "find" those errors just as easily. It's not "harsh" to point out old errors after the topic comes up. If the worst you can do was evade Tani's "particle board" comment, I'd say you're not doing well.
    Tunanorth wrote: »
    Don't be so harsh with Alan Tani, if the best you can find from someone who does so much work with reels is old quotes from 2008 about whether a company he is not part of will or will not do something, I'd say he is doing well.

Posted I: "Do not want... don't like... & will not buy... plastic reels" to better define my Q & help focus discussion. Am not impressed that "they make a lot of people happy" or if Alan Tani once noted the "most advanced graphite" reel.

Around the $250 price point "With metal frame reels, there ARE very few choices" - so let's concentrate on them.
    According to some if Avets "EAT Bearings" they may be the very same kind of bearings used in other reels - most likely made in China.
    The Release SG is probably the best $250 Reel out there...

What are the chances Avet & Penn used same flavor of bearings?

Release SG looks good on website, despite typos & needing to be updated. But heard the Horror Stories & am not sold on ceramic bearings yet.
    Don't be so pedantic with your fishing tackle business generalizations. Alani Tani is all over the internet, where anyone can still "find" those errors just as easily. It's not "harsh" to point out old errors after the topic comes up. If the worst you can do was evade Tani's "particle board" comment, I'd say you're not doing well.

Posted I: "Do not want... don't like... & will not buy... plastic reels" to better define my Q & help focus discussion. Am not impressed that "they make a lot of people happy" or if Alan Tani once noted the "most advanced graphite" reel.

Around the $250 price point "With metal frame reels, there ARE very few choices" - so let's concentrate on them.

Since even a narrow 4/0 appears is too small for this discussion, in the standard and/or wide 4/0 sizes, there are not any metal frame models in the major brands.
    The Daiwa Saltist LD30 is $280 [20 size at $270 is still a narrow], and the Avet HXW is $310, and those are for single-speeds, the 2-speeds are considerably higher [$390 and $430 respectively].
    Can't say for sure what the multi-door import brands have in that size.
    You would need to contact Alan to see what he meant by any statement he may have made; he's pretty responsive to anyone who asks for clarification.
    Forgot to mention, there is only one "big boat" in San Diego, and as it happens they are sponsored by Accurate.
    Penn Pro Staffer
    Release SG looks good on website, despite typos & needing to be updated. But heard the Horror Stories & am not sold on ceramic bearings yet.

Re- RR... Marketing & Website Design is not their strength at this time, but they'll get around to that... Their Lifetime Warranty should relieve your fears re-their bearings...
    Funny, the very 1st "Daiwa Saltist LD30" on eBay search is $229, down the page others are $187 Buy Now, free s/h. Substantially less than the average of the first 3 Baja Specials listed. Believe you really need to take an honest look at the various Avet models competing in the $250 range.
    The Daiwa Saltist LD30 is $280

Forgot to mention, no matter whether Accurate or Avet "there is only one "big boat" in San Diego, and as it happens they" DO NOT CARRY BAJA SPECIALS.

You need to contact your "guru" & ask for clarification of what he meant by "particle board". I'm generous & take a person at their written word. You're the one trying to defend a statement Alan definitely made, or evade it. You seem pretty unresponsive to posts citing links to things you don't want to believe. So get busy making the SD long range boats & your "guru" update their websites to agree, or weep.

Suggest you start a Penn BS thread.
    Who sells Release SG reel? Have never seen them.

Made no comment about "Website Design". Noted their weakness at spelling. Was being sarcastic about "needing to be updated" b/c of info about new model intro being delayed.
    Re- RR... Marketing & Website Design is not their strength at this time, but they'll get around to that... Their Lifetime Warranty should relieve your fears re-their bearings...

"Their Lifetime Warranty" is only as good as their company. So many reel makers have come & gone, leaving customers high & dry.
    Funny, the very 1st "Daiwa Saltist LD30" on eBay search is $229, down the page others are $187 Buy Now, free s/h. Substantially less than the average of the first 3 Baja Specials listed. Believe you really need to take an honest look at the various Avet models competing in the $250 range.

Forgot to mention, no matter whether Accurate or Avet "there is only one "big boat" in San Diego, and as it happens they" DO NOT CARRY BAJA SPECIALS.

You need to contact your "guru" & ask for clarification of what he meant by "particle board". I'm generous & take a person at their written word. You're the one trying to defend a statement Alan definitely made, or evade it. You seem pretty unresponsive to posts citing links to things you don't want to believe. So get busy making the SD long range boats & your "guru" update their websites to agree, or weep.

Suggest you start a Penn BS thread.

The only way to compare pricing evenly is to use MSRP.
    Any and all reels can be found for less [sometimes substantially less] than that with a little Ebay sleuthing, connections in the industry, waiting for a sale, or going for a "gently used" item.
    As for the rest, feel free to ignore Alan Tani if you prefer, ignore me too, and definitely fish with whatever makes you happy.
    Penn Pro Staffer
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    It was a mistake to take Fibber off my "ignore list" to read this post. Guy doesn't want opinions even when he asks for them.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    It was a mistake to take Fibber off my "ignore list" to read this post. Guy doesn't want opinions even when he asks for them.
    stsimons wrote: »
    Alan Tani is probably one of the most well respected and knowledgeable reel repair/modification guys out there. The drags are not "particle board" that is simply a term Alan Tani is using to refer to a non-carbon fiber unknown drag material of yesteryear. I've seen it used in several different reviews/teardowns. Just ignore fibber, he is a few fries short of a happy meal and thinks he is a genius...

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?138551-What-s-this-salvaged-rod-and-reels-worth&p=1746077&viewfull=1#post1746077

Most of his post are all about trying to bust somebody's balls...That includes Mr. Alan Tani , if that tells you anything.

That has become painfully obvious to me over the past few days... I think I'll follow your lead...
    No, it is not "The only way". Tons of reels are bought & sold on eBay every day. I didn't cite pricing "for a "gently used" item" or resort to "Ebay sleuthing". Only looked quickly at 1st pages "to compare pricing" on new reels & only cited Buy Now items. Please "feel free to ignore" Ebay Completed Auctions.
    The only way to compare pricing evenly is to use MSRP.

Clearly I didn't "ignore Alan Tani". I posted link to him & quoted him.

And don't need to ignore you b/c your evasions & excuses are making your opinions irrelevant.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,078 Admiral
    Steve, AKA "tuna north", Fibber is playing the role of a troll and has some vendetta against Alan Tani. He likes to take Alan's quotes out of context. Don't even bother with him. Many of us appreciate you spending the time on this forum. I bet he (Fibber) has never been on a San Diego Long Range boat to understand how they are sponsored.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

I'm beginning to think maybe Fibber caught Tuna North banging his wife (or daughter/s) ???