Trailer lights

Break lights and turn signals work but no running lights. Just started Sat evening. Single bulb I think. What's wrong
Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I went to LED lights because I got tired of fighting that problem. Less problematic (although not completely).

Fuse? Check to see if you're getting voltage to the light.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,866 Captain
    Check the common wire from the plug to the lights, but check the fuse first. Modern vehicles have the trailer running lights fused separately. As others have mentioned, LED's are the most trouble free, & they draw less juice, so you blow fewer fuses.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,498 AG
    I'll check the fuse but wouldn't none of them work if it is the fuse? I'll look at it when I get to the house. I was thinking a wire issue on that lead maybe.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Is it both running lights or just one? If one, not the fuse. I took it that all running lights were out.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,866 Captain
    micci_man wrote: »
    I'll check the fuse but wouldn't none of them work if it is the fuse? I'll look at it when I get to the house. I was thinking a wire issue on that lead maybe.

Running lights are fused separately form brake & turn signal lights. Also, sometimes there is two fuse boxes. One under the dash, & one under the hood.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    both are out. I'll give it a quick look in a few but it may have to wait until I get back home. Didn't realize there was a fuse for the trailer lights, or two for that matter. Never blown one before so I'll locate and look at them. Thanks.
    You have two fuse boxes but I can't remember which one the trailer fuse is in. I think it is the one under the hood.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Every trailer light issue I've ever had was due to the trailer grounds. If you put a test light on the truck plug & it doesnt work on the truck side then check the fuses. If all of it on the truck side checks out then cut all 3 ground wires on the trailer (one for each light & one for connection at the harness). Then run wires the length of the trailer from the lights to the connection at the harness. Be sure to heat shrink em all. When you plug the trailer harness into the truck harness you now ground the trailer lights to the truck's ground which is much more reliable than the 3 trailer grounds are.
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,823 Captain
    It should be a blown fuse under the hood of the DMAX.....
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    If the side lights are still on it is not a fuse. Sidelights and tail lights work together. Look for a common connection or blown blub. (lamp)

If the truck is a factory installed trailer package then the trailer lights are a seperate circuit with seperate fuse located under the hood. FRont right side on my Chev.

If the hitch was installed aftermarket it may be spliced into the lights of the vehicle. Thus no seperate fuse or panel under the hood.

Either way use a meter on the plug and work back. Most trailer problems are incomplete circuits caused by corrosion. Most times a ground, ie "commom". It carries all lights and usually fails first.

Checking the lamps (bulbs) may be the easiest first thing unless they are sealed. Note I seal the seals with electrolitic grease too. If you check the lamps put a meter to the holders and a test lead to the frame(ground). If you get power and the lamp don't its the lamp or the connection at the holder to lamp or holder to frame. Some tail lights arre seperate from stop lights but not much.

If the stop and tail lights are one lamp a bad ground usually shows up by weird stuff when the turn signal or brake is pressed.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
    Thanks for the info fellas. I haven't looked at the fuse yet but I did hook the trailer to my other truck and they all work so it must be the fuse.

This guy had my same issue and it was the fuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWSMB9wyvw
    The blue 15 amp fuse (TLR PARK) under the hood was blown. Hopefully there isn't comething causing it to blow again, we'll see... Thanks again :beer
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,970 Captain
    If it does blow again, look at side lights as a possible culprit if you have/had them. I had an issue with a bad base that was grounding out against the frame causing a fuse to blow a few years back.

Glad you got it taken care of.
    Proverbs 13:3
    Thanks! I noticed my side lights quit working about a year ago, or at least would not work most of the time.