Home General Fishing

Vhf?

fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,955 Captain
Hey everyone, Got a VHF for christmas and really have no clue what channels have stuff on them... ANy interesting stuff?? thanks! hope to post some reports soon... been a while. Tight Lines :fishing
Sarasota,Fl 
Fishing, Photography, Life

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
    Here's a list of all the channels and what they are used for. http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf BAsically, you should monitor Channel 16 and use it for emergency. Usually if you contact the Coast Guard, they will tell you to switch to 22A. You can also use 16 to contact Sea Tow or Tow Boat US, and they too will have you switch channels.

I know Sea Tow has a radio check channel, at least in my area, where you broadcast a radio check and the station records and repeats your message back to you so you can check both transmission and reception. Don't use 16 for a radio check. The Coast Guard frowns on this.

Your radio will also have weather channels, 1 thru 7. You will have to switch thru these to find which is the weather for your area

I don't know what channel is used locally in your area for chatting with friends and finding out about fishing conditions, etc.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    When I was offshore fishing in CA we used 68, 69, 71 and 72 to talk between ourselves.