Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Outstanding first time visit to Mosquito lagoon. (Kinda long) .

http://youtu.be/Z8pErNfvZ6g

Originally posted on East central forum.

First of all I want take the time to give a big shout out and HOORAY to Capt. Pat Murphy from

http://www.mosquitolagoonguides.com

Having never fished the "north country" but seeing all the videos on line I promised my brother from MN a trip there.
My main objective was to get a "lay of the land" so that I wouldn't be a GOOGAN on the water.
Capt Pat did such an outstanding job of not only giving me a great overview of the different no motor/pole troll zones but also gave me great insight to the different conditions and the effects on not only the fish but the water table as well.

Now to the fishing report: After giving me a great visual idea of the primary fishing area we settled in to a slight north wind with a moderate ripple on the surface. After only 15 minutes or so on the spot I saw my first (of several hundred) redfish. Keep in mind that in my neck of the woods (treasure coat) you could spend half a day sight fishing to be lucky enough to see one or two redfish. The wind gradually layed down ! Bonus seeing as how the weather weinies were calling for a east wind at 5-10. Thats when the sight fishing became a sensory over load.
In the video above that has been severely condensed you can see what I mean. At times the area was surrounded with well over 200 hundred redfish and BIG black drum. Capt Pat was extremely patient with me when at the sight of the first big school I got a case of "buck fever". But after settling down he did an outstanding job of keeping us in the fish zone. I had countless opportunities of large fish (Reds and Black drum) but unfortunately the fish were absolutely not gonna bite ! Capt pat tried several different methods but alas it was of no use. We were within sight ( but respectfully so) of two other charter captains and also a GOOGAN in a TIN john boat that seemed bound and determined to "blow up" the flat we were on. The other Captains were not having any luck either and we only saw one fish come to the boat the whole time we were there.

All I can say is that with Capt Pat's extreme professionalism and vast amount of knowledge I feel more confident in my going solo.

Again THANK YOU CAPTAIN PAT MURPHY !

Signed KLUELESS II

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?139331-Outstanding-first-time-visit-to-Mosquito-lagoon-(Kinda-long)#ixzz2oleiLaGI
Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty.

Replies

• LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    KLUELESS II GOOD REPORT it brings back lots of memories of fishing there. I lived up in Longwood for YEARS and fished the north end of the LAGOON near Mims and you are right that you could see of hundreds of hem all schooled up, and some of them could be very big! Thanks for the memories!
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • moneyshotmoneyshot Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Slick calm conditions with company.
    That's what the lagoon is all about. I've been up 3 times since
    September but the brown algae and weed hampered the fishing. It looks like in the video it cleared up. When were you there.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Great report Adrian!!!!!

Hopefully, this one will stay put right here and not moved. :wink

Sometimes you fish and sometimes you catch.

l loved the video but was hoping to see a red crash your lure.

You'll get em next time.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • KLUELESS IIKLUELESS II Posts: 262 Officer
    moneyshot wrote: »
    Slick calm conditions with company.
    That's what the lagoon is all about. I've been up 3 times since
    September but the brown algae and weed hampered the fishing. It looks like in the video it cleared up. When were you there.
    I was up there the week before XMAS. Morning temp about 45 by 12 it was 75. Water was clear but according to Capt Pat the Seagrass took a big hit and seems to not bother the fish until late morning and then they scatter.
    I am heading up again hopefully once more before my brother gets here to do some long range scouting and blade and skeg cleaning:Glass
    Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty.
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    Thanks for sharing ! I have really wanted to do the same thing and get a guide first time to get a little experience. I like you am very respectful of others especially working guides. I think I will book Captain Pat based on your experience. You cant make them bite when they aren't in the mood, but just seeing all those fish would be very cool !
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250