December Miami Airport Lakes/Blue Lagoon Peacock Bass Report

December at the Miami Airport Lakes was excellent for the Peacock Bass. Last week we got into the P's pretty good on top water plugs, X-raps and shiners. The weather was too windy for the main lake so we ventured into the residential canals and found the P's ready to chomp on our offerings. The gear we used was a Shimano Saros 2500 spinning reel on a 7-3" Fitzgerald Rod with 15# PP braid & 20# flouro leader.

cec90b8c-82a8-4c53-b76e-a2ea4d646c49_zps27074380.jpg

[video=youtube_share;4ll11nfTofQ]

Replies

• StratosStratos Posts: 149 Officer
    Them boys got some meat on them! Nice catch.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,707 Moderator
    Nice ! What a cool fishery .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    :thumbsup
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,508 Captain
    Very nice catches, congrats.

Could I ask you two things ?
    Any chance to catch them by shore (on foot) or boat is mandatory ?
    Peacock is native or exotic in Florida ?

Thanks in advance.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    They are stealing our freedom. Boycott political correctness.
  • JonathanT305JonathanT305 Posts: 164 Officer
    Ballak wrote: »
    Very nice catches, congrats.

Could I ask you two things ?
    Any chance to catch them by shore (on foot) or boat is mandatory ?
    Peacock is native or exotic in Florida ?

Thanks in advance.
    Shore fishing for peacock bass is easy, but is at its best from April-November. When its cold they seem to prefer the deeper waters. Peacocks are exotic to Florida, but were introduced by the state to control the invasive populations of non-native Tilapia and cichlids. The state encourages you to release peacocks as they are a vital gamefish.
    Shore fishing for peacock bass is easy, but is at its best from April-November. When its cold they seem to prefer the deeper waters. Peacocks are exotic to Florida, but were introduced by the state to control the invasive populations of non-native Tilapia and cichlids. The state encourages you to release peacocks as they are a vital gamefish.
    Thanks for answers.

A great solution I think; invasives controlled and in the same time new deal thanks to game fish.
    This pragmatism on the resources management is what we haven't in Italy.

My YouTube Channel

• Eric PlanerEric Planer Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    You can most certainly catch them on shore. They seem more aggressive the farther south you go. I live about 45 miles North of where Capt Shane and I fished in Miami, and I am unable to catch on artificial lures. However down in the Miami-Dade area I have great luck with topwater, jerkbaits, and small spinnerbaits. During spawning, you'll see them bed up near the shore. Normally they hold near structure like large mouth bass, but they're way more aggressive and stay out in the open. They will also cruise the shoreline in schools.

If you really want to catch them in quantity, a boat makes you very versatile. If you're in Florida, give Captain Shane a call. He'll put you on them all day long!
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,541 Captain
    Good work as always Shane and great color in that first photo.
  • PeacockFeverPeacockFever Posts: 227 Officer
    very nice! I'm tearing up the peas here in NW broward, nothing seems to be slowing down this bite, hopefully this cold front passes quickly and doesn't linger around.
    There's no such thing as too much bait!
    You can most certainly catch them on shore. They seem more aggressive the farther south you go. I live about 45 miles North of where Capt Shane and I fished in Miami, and I am unable to catch on artificial lures. However down in the Miami-Dade area I have great luck with topwater, jerkbaits, and small spinnerbaits. During spawning, you'll see them bed up near the shore. Normally they hold near structure like large mouth bass, but they're way more aggressive and stay out in the open. They will also cruise the shoreline in schools.

If you really want to catch them in quantity, a boat makes you very versatile. If you're in Florida, give Captain Shane a call. He'll put you on them all day long!
    Thanks Eric for the very useful infos. And, of course, congrats for the very special fishing day and the several nice catches.
    About Captain Shane I noticed, watching the the video, his ability as guide.

Just another curiosity if I can: I noticed which you and Captain have kept the rod with the left hand. Are you both lefties or is a common in USA keep the rod with the left ?

My YouTube Channel