Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

whos ready for turkeys

While I enjoy all hunting my addiction is turkey hunting. I have turkeys on the brain all year. Who else here is eat up with turkey hunting? Anybody got special hunts lined up? Any goals for this year? March will be here soon let's start talking turkey.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas.

Replies

• down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    I'm ready , Get my son on a couple birds , and I'll try to whack one with the Hoyt
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • JRussellJRussell Posts: 1,411 Officer
    Can't wait!!!
    The Florida Hunters Network Facebook page
  • PinkIndian321PinkIndian321 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    10 inch + public land gobbler here I come!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    Google searching " Turkey hunting STA " right now......:rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • AgentXAgentX Posts: 585 Officer
    Can't wait. My favorite season. We got a nice week long trip planned. We got 4 cameras going along to. Hoping to get some great video. Only like 63 days till opener.
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare....
  • GlennGlenn Posts: 1,816 Captain
    Saw some yesterday while marking timber on a WMA. I'm ready!
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,998 Captain
    Can`t wait! Have been watching the birds all fall while deer hunting. Seems we had an excellent survival rate of this years offspring. Have my eye on several 3 year olds that are on this years hit list. Come on March, get here quick!
  • milkman2231milkman2231 Posts: 188 Officer
    Glad to hear people are seeing them. I've got a week trip to Georgia for opening week plus hitting the wmas locally.
    "Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas.
  • joekat46joekat46 Posts: 2,847 Captain
    We're ready. Got a good WMA quota draw for the 3/1 opener. Also made a decision years ago to not shoot any more fall gobblers on the private land we hunt in Zone C. Much more fun hunting them in the spring. A limited fall shotgun season that included hens would be nice however. Scatter and call back is fun stuff in the fall.
  • wetley49wetley49 Posts: 107 Deckhand
    My goal? Take the shot when its there and not worry about my brother getting a shot at a bird. I let a good one go last year on opening morning. Still kicking myself for that one.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    In the stand now listening to a very vocal hen like she is in mid March form
    I refuse to shoot one with a rifle or from a treestand but I would love to give traditional fall hunting a try. I've got a friend in Tennessee that is a big turkey dogger and that sounds like a blast.
  • joekat46joekat46 Posts: 2,847 Captain
    Yes - fall hunting is fun. There is a guy on the NWTF site that has several stories and pictures from upper NY. He hunts with his turkey dog Ginger Lou. Well worth the read if you can find his posts. I didn't make it this year but I usually try and hunt fall birds in OH. The non-resident license I purchase there in the spring is still valid so all I need is a $25 fall turkey tag. Makes a complete season if you can take a fall "Thanksgiving" bird back home.
  • D DayD Day Posts: 84 Deckhand
    I can't wait! For Christmas my wife ( with a suggestion from me ) got me the David Halloran "Twisted Sister" call. I have been playing around with that call non stop. Sounds great !
    D Day wrote: »
    I can't wait! For Christmas my wife ( with a suggestion from me ) got me the David Halloran "Twisted Sister" call. I have been playing around with that call non stop. Sounds great !
    Great call maker. Just talked with him the other day. Got him making a new one for me. And speaking of calls just got 3 new woodhaven mouth calls from Santa. Who'd a thought those elves could make mouth calls.
    Yep David makes great calls. I've got a pot call from Steve Reeves Supreme turkey calls,a Russell Beard long box,and just found out I've got a new wing bone all on the way. I don't really NEED any new calls but like I said its an addiction.
  • GerritGerrit Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Looking forward to bagging my first turkey. Got a draw for picayune strand which is only 30 min away. Been seeing turkey's all over since June. Best part is I never have to work till 2:00 pm!!
    You've got the best work schedule you can have for turkey hunting. Be prepared for an addiction unlike any other in the outdoors. There's just something about that gobble that makes me do crazy things.
  • cypresscypress Posts: 400 Deckhand
    drgibby wrote: »
    Can`t wait! Have been watching the birds all fall while deer hunting. Seems we had an excellent survival rate of this years offspring. Have my eye on several 3 year olds that are on this years hit list. Come on March, get here quick!

Are you gonna pass on a 2 year old if he walks out?
    No gobbler deserves to live past two.
    No gobbler deserves to live past two.

I would say depends on where you are. But ya hard to pass on a 2 year old on public land.
    This is just my opinion. The thing I love about turkey hunting is its not a numbers game for me. It's about the hunt the rush the gobble. If he's got a full fan and a longbeard he's getting shot. The pounding in my chest and the memory of the hunt is the trophy.
  • cypresscypress Posts: 400 Deckhand
    AgentX wrote: »
    I would say depends on where you are. But ya hard to pass on a 2 year old on public land.

How can you tell they are only 2 year olds?
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    cypress wrote: »
    How can you tell they are only 2 year olds?

be the size of their beak
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,998 Captain
    cypress wrote: »
    Are you gonna pass on a 2 year old if he walks out?
    In the past no. But in the last few years I have been lucky enough to be able to hunt a tract of land that gets very little pressure. This situation has allowed us to be more selective in which birds we harvest. The extra year can make a significant difference in spur length and beard thickness. Like to letting a white tail get an extra year to mature. If I was hunting public land or an area with more pressure then I would not think twice about shooting anything with a long beard. Good Luck this spring.......
  • DUCKWHACKERDUCKWHACKER Posts: 348 Deckhand
    My favorite season hands down. I absolutely love the rush I feel when a gobbler comes in strutting and his gobbles about blow your hat off.
  • Alan BuchananAlan Buchanan Posts: 58 Deckhand
    I've been going thru the motions ever since archery ended. Santa just bought my ten year old son a Tom teaser call and I am dying to see him call in a Longbeard. It seems more and more that deer season is just a way to pass the time till spring turkey.
    I've been going thru the motions ever since archery ended. Santa just bought my ten year old son a Tom teaser call and I am dying to see him call in a Longbeard. It seems more and more that deer season is just a way to pass the time till spring turkey.

On right there with you. Ten years ago if someone would have told me I wouldn't care about deer waiting I'd laugh in there face. Since I started hunting turkeys my enthusiasm for deer is almost zero.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,478 Captain
    It's good to see a Turkey Season thread! Yea!.....on the horizon

Will soon drive my wife to tears and laughter with turkey calling in the house.She will make me go outside.I can call the cats up good.

I now understand the other hunters who focus on turkey, the hunters we hardly or never see during deer.

I have been hunting and exploring a new area this past deer season and from the very beginning have been noting lay of the land with turkey in mind.
    Goal: At least four or five days non-stop at camp,turkey hunt.
    (Oh,and never ever again forget to make sure the turkey calls are in the gear bag rather than left at home...out on the back porch where they were left after 'practice' session...)
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • bfipsbfips Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    ‎Saturday, ‎December ‎07, ‎2013, ‏‎8:19:44 AM
    Character determines destiny
    NRA Life Member
    Hunting the Lease