Home General Fishing

rod for 80w, for trolling and shark fishing???

santafrosantafro Posts: 18 Greenhorn
Hi,
I am looking for a rod that would fit a tiara 80w. I will shark fish a lot and maybe sometimes troll. I heard about Barrett rods down in Port St. Lucie, but i can t find anything else. I like the look of their rods and i heard good stuff about them, but if i am going to spend that much money i want to get a top quality set up.

Replies

• waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Before doing anything else, you need to ask yourself two questions: a) do you want a custom or a production rod, and b) will you be using it standing up (and, if so, what length do you want) or in a fighting chair? Once you've answered these questions, you can focus on hardware details such as bent or straight butt, and guide manufacturer. From what I've seen, Barrett makes some very nice sticks but there's no shortage of manufacturers of 80 lb. class chair rods.
  • santafrosantafro Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    i will mostly use it on stand up, and i don t care if it s custom or production, i just want lifetime warranty and a very powerful stick. the length doesn t really matter, something around 6ft would be good i think. and straight butt. i want roller guides.
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Just something to consder - if you're stand-up fishing with 80 pound class tackle, consider using a short bent butt rod for the extra mechanical advantage it will give you (more pressure on the fish with less pressure on you). The trade-off is that you won't move as much line per pump with a bent butt rod, but you'll be able to lift the rod easier. Melton carries some good, short bent butt rods (http://www.meltontackle.com/categories/big-game-conventional-rods/?gclid=CN7alOym0bsCFe3m7AodjBkAEw), but their fairly expensive. I'm certain Barrett could build what you want, and there are several tackle shops in my area (the Palm Beaches) that stocks bent butt stand-up rods. I was certain that you wanted roller guides, but you still have several choices - Aftco, Stuart, and Winthrop (the "gold standard") may be the most popular for 80 lb. tackle. I have quite a few 80 lb. stand-up rods with either Aftco Big Foot or Wind-On guides and, in my experience, short bent butt rods are much more angler-friendly when using heavy drag settings.
  • santafrosantafro Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I will take a look at it. Thanks for the info
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    For an 80W stand up rig, the rod needs to be paired with a harness and plate that works with and fits your physique - this is more important than which rod and reel you choose. Black Magic, Aftco, Smitty's and Braid all offer well proven products but choosing a set is best done in a good tackle shop - not online - where you can strap in with various rod butt styles and lengths to compare which works best for you.