Time to hunt

Replies

• tapatetapate Posts: 5,253 Admiral
    ducknfish wrote: »
    You have certainly put in the effort, I hope you are rewarded

^ this. Impressive dedication!
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,002 Officer
    Up and at em'. Over in Madison County this morning on a a buddy from Central Florida's place. Beautiful woods out here....some big bucks running around too. They've Already killed a couple studs this season and this big boy has been showing up on the cams since the season started. No one has been able to put eyes on him.....YET. Though the rut is past prime, I have a good feeling about this mornin.' Good luck to all those going!

usasamuj.jpg
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,983 AG
    Cold calm and quiet. Heavy frost too. 6 hunters in the woods. I'm back where I saw the shooter yesterday afternoon. Good luck to everyone hunting.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    On the way to see how many ducks I can miss between this afternoon & tomorrow mornin.
    First deer of the day. Looks like a button head and it's eating yellow sweet gum leaves, go figure....

Wack'm Tyler
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Buddies son just had a good buck chase a doe by. These bottoms are beautiful but it's hard to get a good shot when they are running and zig zaging through and they seem to stop behind something. Oh well, that's part of it.
    Didn't see anything this morning. I was sitting in a ground blind I popped up before dawn and had something bust 10 yards behind me in the thick stuff around 9 when I knelt to take a leak. I was sitting amongst a BUNCH of buck sign and I think it was likely a buck based on no blow and it was alone...I'll never know though. Was going to sit all day but my toes were solid frozen in my portable meat cooler. Going to give it one more try tonight in the super thick stuff where they have a ladder set up.
    Only two hunters saw deer this morning. Not sure what I'm going to do just yet.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    We didn't see anything moving in south GA. Did recovery LD's perfect sized eating hog from last night. Headed out shortly for the afternoon.
  • JTRJTR Posts: 1,104 Officer
    Hope someone has better luck than we did.

Did not see anything. My dad did not see anything - that is a first for this year.

Only heard one shot this morning. Had to wade in knee deep water in 30 degree temps this morning.

Good luck to everyone!
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 781 Officer
    I haven't seen anything, the last couple of afternoons. I've got ten minutes and I'm out the door.
    Wasnt meant to be. Didn't happen for us but we had fun trying. I've slept in my bed twice since Christmas and as much as I hated to leave it was time. 11 hunts and saw deer on 9 of them. On the lake now duck hunting with Jordon. 5 coots down so far. Ducks aren't flying
    image_zpseff6ea47.jpg

I'm tired......
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,928 Captain
    Time for a re charge, I cant go like that anymore :(
    Hope the ducks fly for you.
    F the feds
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 354 Deckhand
    Hunted Madison yesterday afternoon and the wind died down right at sundown. Watched a doe with a spike yearling and another doe yearling feed in front of me. They perked up and looked into the woods then started walking off. A pretty good sized spike came in and fed for a minute then followed the does. 5 minutes later, a large body came cruising through the trees. It was a jacked up 3 point (pickle fork and a spike on the other side that went sideways) that I saw last year in the same configuration. Since I had told a neighbor that I would try to get him one for his freezer- ugly kid Joe took a dirt nap.

Back in the same stand this morning. Saw 6 does,2 spikes (maybe the same one from last night and the little yearling spike) then about 8:30 had a good sized buck cruise through the timber at about 100 yards. I couldn't get a clear shot to save my bacon and he never stopped walking when I grunted at him. He just slowly eased off in the general direction that the does had gone. A stampede of hen turkeys came through right after he did- probably 2 dozen or so.

Got down and headed back out about 10:00 to find three more does standing about 30 yards from my truck. As I pulled out the gate and onto the highway, 4 more does were standing on the side of the road and crossed onto our property. About halfway home, I encountered another group of 4 does in the middle of the dirt road as I rounded a bend, shortly followed by another uncountable group of turkeys. Add to that count the three does that were bedded down in the field beside my house that hopped up when the headlights lit them up on my way out this morning, and I saw 20 different deer and at least 3 dozen turkeys today. I would call that a pretty good day!!!
    Had an ok shoot. 5 guns 14 birds picked up & probably another 5 or 6 lost.
    Back at it in the am
    We didn't not get'm because we weren't there that's for sure. Things were just a little late compared to the last 3 yrs. If we could be there the next 5 days I bet we'd kill him the way things started to pick up with the chasing and bigger bucks seen in the last 2 days. Still some hunting left to do but not a trip like we just had.

That was a good day Travis. Hope you get a big one!

Where you hunting Tyler? We didn't see much for ducks but it was fun.
    Saw 6 does, a 4 point and a basket 8 this afternoon in the thick stuff (basically a bunch of hidden deer trails.). The other two guys saw only does; they were hunting food plots. Great day in the deer woods, though my feet are still defrosting. Despite the cold, I sure wish I could take Tues or Wed off with the cold weather forecasted.

Tommy, you've inspired me with your dedication. Sorry it didn't work out on the killing side, but it looks like you had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Saw no deer this morning in Randolph county. Switched to a dove hunt this afternoon in Webster county. Had a lot of fun. Tommy, that's a cool pic of you and your girl on the lake.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,848 Captain
    I spent 7 hours in the stand yesterday and saw 1 hen turkey and 2 squirrels. I may be done for the year. It always gets hard to see them after Thanksgiving on our lease and I have seen exactly 0 deer in my last 3 hunts. Game forecast is just going down hill between now and the 15th. I MIGHT go back out and sit this evening...just not sure yet. My back doesn't appreciate me sitting in a ladder stand that much.

Good luck to the rest of you.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Saw 5 last night between 615pm and when my ride showed at 645pm.

First two came out at 615p and looked like a doe and yearling (200 yards), although i kept seeing what i thought could be spikes on the bigger deer. Finally got to where I could see it around 150 and it had dark tarsals so I was leaving more towards the "its a buck" opinion. They kept looking SW and around 620p out 625p an even bigger bodied deer walked in stuff legged, which I was sure was a buck, and I thought I could make out a small rack. His silhouette still said 2.5/3.5yo tops. The "spike" then circled the new deer and went back to feeding. Later, 630p?, I have what appears to be 3 more come in but stay further back.

Add they're walking west, the two bigger bodies start walking head to head and I hear the faint sound of antlers tickling from 140 yards away.

My "farm truck" ride showed up around 645p to get me, thus clearing the field, so I could get down without letting the deer know I was in the stand.

Back at the same stand this morning until around 10, depending in anything moving, before heading back to tally.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    While holding his rifle and keeping a close eye on my 8 year old as he climbed down the ladder stand, somehow my .243 found its way to the ground, after hitting many tree branches of course. I'm still not sure how it happened because I know I would never let that happen, but the 8 year old was already on the ground otherwise I'd blame him!
    Only reason I was hunting with the .243 is because last weekend, as I exited the ground blind, I turned around to see my 11 year old leaning the chairs against the side of the blind so they won't hold water. While I was proud of him for doing that, I then noticed my 7mm08 that was leaning against the inside of the blind start making its decent then hitting the ground. Yes, he got blamed for that and no I haven't had the chance to sight it back in. Now I get to sight in 2 rifles with 1 week of hunting season left. I've been teaching them that when the hunt is over, we unload the gun so both chambers were empty when they fell.
    It looked like slow motion as that .243 tumbled end over end, smacking tree limbs. I'd swear it took a hour to reach the ground.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,848 Captain
    Good lessons for the youngster though. Sorry for your misfortune. I sucked it up and came back this afternoon. It's beautiful out here and as quiet as I've ever heard it. Planes and trains are the only man made sounds I hear this afternoon other than the occasional gun shot from someone who sounds like they're sighting one in or having target practice. GoPro is set up in a likely spot. Should anyone show there, they might be famous.
    Proverbs 13:3
    Had another pretty good shoot this mornin. 6 guns & 23 birds picked up.
    I had a personal best morning knocking 5 down with 5 shots, had to water whack one to finish it but 5 birds with 6 shells I'll take all day. Knocked #6 down but into the thick reeds never to be seen again.
    Great time with great friends & can't wait for the next adventure.

Good luck to those of y'all trying to get that late season deer.
    Only duck I killed this morning

image_zpsc30e6252.jpg

Hitting the bed soon.....
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,253 Admiral
    micci_man wrote: »

image_zpsc30e6252.jpg

Gorgeous duck mm.
    micci_man wrote: »

image_zpsc30e6252.jpg

Nice! I love to see drakes of all varieties this time of year.
    Sitting at work wishing I was in the woods this week!! Tomorrow and Wednesday would be the days to get in the woods around 9:30-10:00 and stay in there. On those bitter cold mornings I rarely see deer before the sun gets up above the trees good no matter what property I hunt. We did this 2 yrs ago when I killed my big buck up there. We didn't see a deer before 10:15 that day and killed him at 11:00.
    Agree with you 100 percent on the timing of deer movement on super cold mornings. Yet, I continue to punish myself by getting up before the dawn so I can be in the stand at daybreak. Usually I'm frozen by 9 or 10. I REALLY wish I could hunt the next two days so I could heed your advice.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,751 Captain
    I still like to hunt, but there's nothing like getting the kids involved!!
    My 7 year old granddaughter ready for her hunt
    [IMG][/img]1512717_498725476913639_1085370434_n_zps6053d349.jpg

In the shooting house with her Uncle Michael (the 8 year old was hunting with her dad)
    [IMG][/img]1497720_498725200247000_441868135_n_zps2703178e.jpg

The fruits of her labor!! (We don't usually shoot yearlings, but she was so excited we made an exception)
    [IMG][/img]1545850_498772203575633_894879294_n_zps075db1a0.jpg

She couldn't wait until today to share with her schoolmates!
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,359 Admiral
    That's pretty good for an 7 y.o.

MM that duck has some pretty colors.