Home Conservation Forums

Is it legal bring machete or other big knife during fishing ?

BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 7,424 Admiral
Reading this thread I supposed that it's legal bring machete during fishing. I tried to ask confirmation on thread but no serious answers came.

How about the rules in Florida ?
So, if me, foreign person, bring a machete during fishing may be illegal ?
Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
********************************************************************************************************************************
I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
No hope in herd immunity although we don't miss the sheep
Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,337 Moderator
    Sorry for the ignorant answers you received from some or our members who apparently have no common sense or courtesy when it comes to answering a serious question.

Yes it is legal to bring such a knife or machete while fishing. No it is not common to run into a constrictor or large snake while fishing. They are very secretive and stay well hidden. Even organized hunts for them fail to produce a lot
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 7,424 Admiral
    Thanks so much for answer and don't worry, any community has his "particular" persons but usually in short time should be possible understand who are they and keep the "safety" distance :grin.

About topic, as usual, the US approach is based on pragmatism.

Pythons aside (we haven't) in Italy to chop brush and grass the only way is "roncola" (the italian machete) because is considerated as agricoltural tool.
    But if we bring with us a true machete (and the difference between roncola and machete isn't very high) we may be arrested (also with firearm license, such in my case).
    Also we have to keep attention to the brush and grass wich we are chopping, because several of these are protected (we frequently don't understand why).

I was born in the wrong nation :grin !
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    You can have any knife you want so long as it isn't normally restricted (like a switchblade).
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,681 Admiral
    We're a Stand Your Ground State.
    Bring you Machete and your Sig 9 mm, and maybe an AR.
    You'll be fine.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Thanks to all guys

P.S. only italian firearms for me :grin (not true, my shotguns are all italian, but as hand guns I own 3 US ones, 1 mythologic 1911 and 2 S&W revolver).
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    It is also legal as long as your a registered CCW ower to open carry a gun while fishing
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
    Ballak wrote: »
    I was born in the wrong nation :grin !
    I have to quote myself.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,972 Captain
    repair wrote: »
    It is also legal as long as your a registered CCW ower to open carry a gun while fishing

If you live in Fl and wish to open carry while fishing.... You can do it without having a Carry permit.... Unless they have change
    the laws in the last yr.....

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain

No CCW license needed to open carry to/from and during fishing/hunting/camping/ (and others).
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,031 Officer
    FWCSnook wrote: »
    You can have any knife you want so long as it isn't normally restricted (like a switchblade).

A switchblade is not restricted or illegal in Florida. Review 790.225 and cases State v. Darynani and these links:

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/laws/03laws/ch_2003-082.pdf

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/Bulletins/dec.pdf

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2003/House/bills/billtext/pdf/h1227er.pdf
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,031 Officer

Again, this is incorrect information.

F.S. 790.25 - http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/790.25

LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

http://www.open-carry.org/ - good info as well.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,664 Captain
    You say you are foreigner, NOT a citizen? Be very careful what you carry and where. It is good you ask BUT you may not get the real answers you need here. But hopefully you will.
    Not my intention bring machete or other stuff, it was just a curiosity.
    BTW thanks for warning.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,972 Captain
    IMHO> I rather be judged then carry, but that's me :grin .....our laws are easy to look up.. but understanding
    them is a whole other story :willynilly

The main thing you should do is to always be "Aware" of your surrounding... don't fish late at nite by yourself
    in out of way places...and remember our bad guys love to target tourist...

When you go to a bait shop> ask them about good safe places to fish.... enjoy yourself and be safe...oh there
    is nothing wrong with asking any type of questions... :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    Yes, no stupid adventures and imponderable risks for fishing, especially in foreign lands.
    In any case I'll come with wife and kids for few days, so not much time for fishing. Probably only some "stolen" casts from shore, pier and other easy and safe spots (in the best case wifey will permit me an half a day on a cheap party boat :grin , no budget for a private charter).

Unfortunately everywhere tourists are targeted by bad guys, also in Italy we have this sad "tradition" in some our cities (Naples as leader but the list is long).
    So thanks for suggestions, shops and other anglers will be my drivers.

About shopping I'll come to Miami and I think that the Dolphin Mall Basspro shop should be, for an angler, the equivalent of St Peter for a christian, so I'll surely visit it (of course, leaving credit cards at hotel :grin).
    Any others suggestion (Miami, Key West and islands between them) for (more virtual than real) wild shopping ?