Another grill question.

i had just broke down and finally replaced my old pit master of 17 years when mom told me she was buying me the egg. I bought the char griller outlaw. I was going to put it together yesterday but then got to thinking, "will I use it after I get the egg/primos". So guys that have the egg, or the egg and another grill. Am I likely to use it??
It was 180 buck and I can return it at this point. I just don't know.

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Return it & get a nice Reel...
    OTOH, I still occasionally use my 'gasser' for grillin' something quick for 1-2 ppl. My gasser will get to >500* >30 min. faster than my Primo
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,975 Captain
    Why dont you wait until you try out the egg?
    Me thinks you will return it.
    F the feds
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,362 Moderator
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    That's a tough question. I'd do like Bodine said. Sometimes I use the egg, sometimes I use the Weber. The egg (IMO) is not the "end all-be-all".

You could keep one on Florida and one at home.

It may be 2 -3 weeks before I decide on a grille. Not sure the return policy of BPS. I'll look. We don't cook in Florida Robert. ;)
    Oh.......:)

The egg does some things very well.

I think some things I do on my regular smoker/grill come out better.

I like my egg a lot but I wouldn't want it to be my only charcoal grill/smoker/oven.

that's kinda what I was thinking. Now to make room....
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,737 Captain
    Oh.......:)

The egg does some things very well.

I think some things I do on my regular smoker/grill come out better.

I like my egg a lot but I wouldn't want it to be my only charcoal grill/smoker/oven.

This for sure.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    Maybe room for the egg/primos between?
    I would have taken that back to BPS, since the 1 on the right will look just like the 1 on the left in no time...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    I would have taken that back to BPS, since the 1 on the right will look just like the 1 on the left in no time...

Ahhh, appearances can be deceiving. the grille on the left has had a steel plate added to duct the smoke across the grates, as well as a second vent. it is a 'smoker only " grille and surely will never direct grille again. It's and awesome smoker now.
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 543 Officer
    For me, the weber kettle sits beside the egg. Both are needed.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,175 AG
    I still have three. Those eggs, depending on size can be limited in what they hold. Never know when you end up with a party and need the extra cooking space.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    OK- So like every other 'big boy toy', 'if 1 is good then 5 (or bigger) is better'... I got it... (My gf may be tougher to convince)
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    I don't see any situation where I'll need the weber again, and the primo will get low n slow as you want . Not sure I see a reason for both other than cooking for the masses but that's why I got the XL.
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 628 Officer
    I'm Egg only and manage just fine. It does some things better than others but I donated my gas grill to the neighborhood
    tennis pavilion so we could use it up there.
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,314 Captain
    Can't have too many grills. You will like the Outlaw. I use mine indirect only.
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,034 Officer
    Just cooked a filet over hardwood charcoal and mesquite chips with my FIL's green egg. It was probably the best steak I've had in a long time. Hate to say it, but it may have just beat out the Weber...
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,975 Captain
    I have been egg only for many years now, the only thing it does not do well, is volume.
    For parties you may need more grill space, for feeding a family of 4 it is perfect.

KG is my hero :)
    F the feds
    Think I figured it out. I'll add the firebox to the outlaw and retire the old smoker to make room for a nice big table and an xl Primos. :blowkiss
    Sounds like a plan
    Outlaw tip. Once you add the firebox, flip the charcoal tray upside down and set it raised to the top notch. It will even the heat alot better.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    Mullet wrote: »
    Think I figured it out. I'll add the firebox to the outlaw and retire the old smoker to make room for a nice big table and an xl Primos. :blowkiss

That sounds like a plan to me.