Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wac 12/21/13, the first day of winter, mullet mania

Jim311Jim311 Senior MemberGainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
k0azavel.jpg

Got the ramp around 7:30 and decided to run along the bay a bit since it was so smooth. The tide was going out fast but wouldn't bottom out until 12:30. My spots across the bay had signs of finger mullet and mud minnows running around but nobody was home. I decided to try up in a creek instead, and this was where I'd boat almost all of the fish for the day. I caught two just over slot trout and a bunch of dinks on a gulp on a jig head bounced slowly along the bottom. They weren't at all interested in the popping cork, not a thing touched it all day. I also picked up a couple of rat reds with the same technique, and one on my fancy new Aquadream spoon, the first red I've ever caught on a spoon actually. It turns out spoons are more effective if you actually throw them regularly. Anyway, once slack tide rolled around we headed back out of the river mouth to an area that's just loaded with oyster bars. We were waiting for some water to push in and hoping some reds would come with it. The outside edges didn't produce, so we rock knocked our way in, scraping and grounding out on oysters until we got into the deeper water of a creek. Once we were up in there I started seeing these enormous schools of mullet. I have never seen so many. I thought it would bring some reds or trout with it but I honestly think there were so many that it might have freaked them out, the creek was packed with them and there was tons of noise and action. I picked up one dink red on the spoon but that was it. Sometimes something would spook the mullet and the entire creek would explode in waves of jumping mullet, it was incredible. Once the sun was getting close to setting we went back out to the outside islands and bars to a spot I'd found on our previous trip that looked fishy. I casted this spot with a live pinfish under a cork and a topwater spook for several minutes. Then Adam showed up and caught two nice reds right in the same dang place on a spinnerbait, WTH! One fish was 24 inches and the other was over slot and gave him a really hard fight. I think if it hadn't have gotten dark we could have stuck around and caught a few more on that spot but we didn't want to get stuck in the dark. I saw forum member "Gatorbait" today too. All in all a fun day. I took home two lower slot trout and a ton of mullet I cast netted for cut bait and maybe to eat, although it's not my favorite fish. Fun day, gorgeous weather.

26qa5tsl.jpg

hBjMctFl.jpg

AQclq89l.jpg

BgBwkBxl.jpg

lx5R7nKl.jpg

BPqwh0ll.jpg

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    Oh and here's a link to a short video of my run back towards the ramp. Figured you fellas "wishin you were fishin" might like seeing the sunset. It was way better in person, though. :)

http://youtu.be/z1_RVdpLtCM
  • PONCEPONCE Senior Member Big Bend FlaPosts: 5,946 Admiral
    Water looks nice and smooth , nice catching Jimbo:Rockon
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Senior Member Posts: 1,074 Officer
    You sure had a beautiful day to go.
    PONCE wrote: »
    Water looks nice and smooth , nice catching Jimbo:Rockon

It started out smooth and then **** up around noon. I had to make a run in across the bay with the wind whipping against the strong outgoing tide. It stacked up a following sea that was not a whole lot of fun to run in. I couldn't believe how much water was pushing out of there. In the afternoon it got really calm again. It seems like for me it's not a day of fishing Waccasassa unless the wind is gusting.
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,493 AG
    Looks very nice. Finally got my boat back. Maybe someday I'll get my butt back out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • troutman57troutman57 Senior Member Homosassa FloridaPosts: 3,691 Captain
    Great pics and report Jim. The roe mullet run is on...we saw similar large schools of them most void of game fish as well.

"It turns out spoons are more effective if you actually throw them regularly." Yep! :grin
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
    I just wondered why there were no game fish with them. I've always read that reds in particular liked all the stuff the mullet root up when feeding. It was incredible to see an entire creek light up with jumping mullet if something spooked them. I threw a 5 foot cast net twice in areas that didn't even appear to have movement, and still came up with a net full of mullet. I think that the entire creek must have been packed to the gills with them.
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,493 AG
    Just like that sometimes. More than likely on another school or already had their fill. Atleast that is my take on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Senior Member Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,849 Captain
    I know that feeling well Jim! Seeing so many mullet and can't find a single red around, it sure ain't like the TV shows and Fish rags tell you> "Find the mullet and You'll find the Reds!" Hogwash!!! Nice post tho, it' sure looks Purdy out there reds or not!! Can't wait to get back out on the water again!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Senior Member OcalaPosts: 4,538 Captain
    Colder water temps will push the fish including mullet into the deeper holes of creeks.....
    Good catching.......
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Senior Member HernandoPosts: 417 Officer
    Beautiful pictures. Looks like a mirror instead of the water. Great Report and keep working them.......